Should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
slipper

Should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Post by slipper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

I have written to my council for permission on 4 named sites, so far no reply so will leave it for a while and then write again.
I have only my local shore which is an SSSI, but the sticky on here re South Hampshire and Isle of Wight, says we have permission, however that was 2010. There was a permission granted for an SSSI in Portsmouth also.
I was of a mind to see if I could confirm permission with Natural England, however only phone number and address, no email addy for the Winchester office.
So do you think it worth getting a permission update, or leave well alone?

The reason I ask is we have several groups of Friends of the Shore etc, who I am bound to bump into, and these guys have strong connections with the various authorities .

Saffron

Re: Should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Post by Saffron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am

Slipper your probably OK but a lot changes in 7 years so could well be worth checking.

If you find the SSSI name by using magic maps http://www.magic.gov.uk/
You can then use this site to see what the restrictions are https://designatedsites.naturalengland. ... earch.aspx
If you then look at the "Operations requiring Natural Englands consent" it should say.

I am guessing that you might be talking about the Hythe to Calshot Marshes SSSI if so I notice it overlaps with 1) Solent and Southampton Water Ramsar, 2) Solent and Southampton Water SPA 3) Solent Maritime SAC, so its obviously a very sensative area. In view of this and the fact that there are groups which might challenge you getting an update would be very wise IMHO - if only so you have something in writing if challenged.
If I have the correct SSSI it has the following e-mail cdt@naturalengland.org.uk

Evan

slipper

Post by slipper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you Saffron, its actually the other side so not quite so sensitive.
https://necmsi.esdm.co.uk/PDFsForWeb/Co ... 005846.pdf

The link indicates that there are no restrictions about MD, but there are about bait diggers, who actually are there in numbers at times.

I agree re I am likely to be meeting the various groups and so have emailed with Codes of Practice I would follow, membership of NCMD and a brief resume of myself.

I very much hope I get a favourable response, will wait and see now. It would be very comforting to have a permission doc in my pocket.

brianc

Post by brianc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Maybe, if you can identify the Parish Council that legislates the land (not sure if you are talking exclusively about beach areas, so offering advice on inland areas here which may be within your four prospective sites), you are normally welcome to join the next open Parish Council meeting and raise the request in person.

Your comments will be put into the minutes, so you then have documentation available and also things in minute notes normally get a degree of attention.

If you do this, you are perfectly entitled to follow up at the next meeting to see what progress has been made. Many Parish Council minutes are published on their webpage, so once you have done the face to face, you can correspond as you prefer (email, phone or another visit to the PC meeting), using the minutes as a reference for all involved.

And if you have valuable contacts, then I would certainly make them aware of what you are seeking.

Good luck.
Enjoying the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

slipper

Post by slipper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks brianc you make a good suggestion. My sites are with the city council so not sure if they do open meetings. I will see what response and maybe chat to local councillor if I need to.

Return to “Permissions”