A dangerous permission

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
kenleyboy

A dangerous permission

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Here we go again on the permission front . After going down the route of letter writing for a change from door knocking and emails , I have had 3 replies out of 6 SAE letters . I have 30 odd letters all ready to go but decided I would just do half a dozen at a time to see how it goes .
First response I mentioned in a previous post with a good humoured telephone chat with the farmer .
My second reply was by email , polite but a no . Nice to receive a response either way .
The third response was yesterday afternoon and I opened up the email to have a heart stopping read .
It was a yes !! I felt the euphoria rise a bit and as I carried on reading all hopes were gradually eroded . Big snag is the farmer has 14 guard dogs and lets them loose on the only field he would grant me permission on . He tells me that they are not friendly and I would have to scarper for the safety of my car which he also pointed out would entail the dogs jumping all over it and scratching the paintwork while trying to get at the " tinned meat "! inside .
I like dogs , I have two whippets myself , but these are gentle couch potato kind of creatures not a baying pack of Rottweilers and Alsatian dogs .
I was told I was welcome but at my own risk and there was always a window when the dogs are inside but then after weighing it all up I had visions of bending over a recent dug hole with the old pin pointer and having my backside chewed off and then not to mention the amount of dog poo that I just know I would tread in just to round the day off .
Shame , but a yes but not ideal .

Resurgam

Re: A dangerous permission

Post by Resurgam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Me thinks that it is an agricultural windup.

Email him back and say that you are a very security conscious, dog loving, detectorist and ask if you can call by, view the property, and see the dogs at work.

Remember the old farmer in "The Dectorist" ? ;))
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 pm

ps ................ and offer to show him some of your more valuable, or historic, finds! ::g

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Sounds like its designed to put you off or any potential people / chancer trying their luck, he might think its a fishing exercise to check out the farm. its the sort or response I would give if i didn't want anyone on my land.

I would follow it up with a polite reply thanking him for the opportunity and if he / she would like to meet you in person to see that you are an honorable person you would be happy to meet up and discuss the opertunity

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you gents for your thoughts . I do believe you are probably correct in that it was a bit of a wind up .The tail end of the email was pop in and see me sometime of you wish so he wasn't exactly shutting the door in my face . Could be that he is testing me to see if I am genuine and I will have the nuts to go knocking on his door . I may well do this anyway just to suss him out .

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm

14 vicious dogs roaming fields at random? i think hes having you on mate. will be one half dead old collie, that will only be of harm if he licks you with his infected tongue, :D

get on and meet the bloke, sounds like a bit of a character, your very own "farmer Bishop"

good luck.
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Best of luck m8.

Don't forget to let us all know how you get on,

Chris ::g

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

call his bluff and say and say you are very confident with dogs so it doesnt bother you ::g ::g
Theres no way he would let 14 dogs into the field with you he just having a bit of banter and weighing you up

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Very wise words above
But
He may not be bluffing Stuff that .
Nothing's worth getting savaged/ravaged.
::g
Last edited by Lowland on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

brianc

Post by brianc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:12 pm

I would meet the landowner if you can and arm yourself with some finds along with some material that shows that you have done some research.

Sounds like a potential relationship. He may appreciate you being an extra pair of ears and eyes that he can trust.

There is nothing to lose as you indicate that you have a provisional yes but with certain caveats!

Go in with a sense of humour and see what develops.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 pm

If he has given you the option of going down and speaking with him then do so,the bit about 14 guard dogs sound like as if he is 'yanking your chain'

Never turn down a opportunity like that.
The difference between perception and reality can be vast indeed.
www.hideones.info
Proxy Server

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Oh brother. Farmer Bishop is a comedian. :))
If he'd said 2 or maybe 3 savage guard dogs then maybe . But farmers simply don't give board and lodgings to animals in that number unless they produce something other than poop.

Why not meet windup with windup and get one of those padded suits the Police use when training their dogs and waddle up to his door with that on? :D
Go along and have a chat....at the very least take some dog-treats or a squeaky toy or two just for fun. It worked for Johnny English.

I'd be curious to see Mr Bishop's imaginary dogs.

Oh and to really turn the tables banter-wise, take a few cans of winalot as a sweetener. Say: I usually bring a bottle of whisky as a thank you, but seeing as you had so many doggy mouths to feed...'
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

This really is a 'wind-up' which should be followed up with a meet (he's invited you so no need to request further). From a purely practical point of view, if a landowner consents to your being on his land and was then to set guard dogs loose in the knowledge that you may be present, in the eyes of the law, it would almost certainly be judged to be a 'reckless act' and a breech of his 'duty of care' with a guaranteed lawsuit to follow.

So view it as he intended, as a bit of humour. As said, he seems to be a bit of a character and probably all the better for knowing ::g Good Luck, keep us informed and get on it now!! ::g
All the best. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Once again , than you everyone for your replies and thoughts on the matter .
I must admit , 14 dogs I found a little hard to believe and little boots comment on the puffy dog handler suit was bang on the nail . I actually replied that I have one of these suits in case of such scenarios ! Just a bit of banter .
The farm is on part of an old WW11 American airfield and the Farmer did say that he had been over the land with a cheap detector and found live rounds and thousands of bits of rusty metal and to not waste my time but his parting shot was come by someday and see for yourself , so perhaps he is waiting to see what I am made of and genuine . It certainly is worth a visit and no doubt the dogs or dog is an old crusty hound and its just the Farmers sense of humour .
I like the idea of a tin of dog food as a sweetener , will try that one .

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:14 pm

He sounds like he has a dry sense of humour which is a good start ::g I would reciprocate by telling him you were marooned in the Alaskan outback and wrestling grizzly bears for the best trout was a daily thing so 14 dogs will be most welcome,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

brianc

Post by brianc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Sounds like a plan then so go for the approach that you are comfortable with.

I would take the live ordnance with a bit more seriousness than the pack of dogs though, so make sure you know your stuff on what to look out for and research the lie of the land to stay safe.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm

brianc , you are quite right , the live rounds are a bit of a concern . I am not really that interested in digging up WW11 history if I am honest and I know the place will be littered with that sort of stuff . The Airfield was built in 1943 and housed mainly Liberator aircraft and the runway is still in place plus a few out buildings etc . It is all there and would most definitely suit someone who really is into their WW11 history . However , I would imagine there should be other things in the ground other than military and if I could gain permission it would be my first and worth a go . Better than nothing in the current situation .
I will pick a day next week as I work from home and it is only a few minutes up the road and see if I can have a chat with him .

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A farmer with a sense of humour.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 pm

At least there will be no sheep ship to walk in, as that many dogs would have eaten the lot.😶
2018 hammies. = 100 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:00 pm

It's a 'wind-up' ..... get in there ! ::g

One of my farmers is an International sheepdog trial judge, and he only has up to about 6 dogs. When his working dogs have got too old, he refuses to put them down.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Dont be a chicken go for it :)) :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 am

A reply invite like that would certainly make me keen to meet the farmer, he obviously has a good sense of humour. Meet the farmer, break the ice, and you have pretty much cracked it.
I am not too bothered about finding military stuff either, but my last dig was coincidentally just off a WWII airfield, parked on the former runway in fact, only a few buttons and bullets, but then a 1st century Roman fibula popped out! Of course there will still be older finds there - the farmer probably had a quick wander about and got bored. Any live ammo dug is probably best just reburied, to save the hassle of proper authoritative procedure. :D
Oh! "Mr Bishop" and "Tinned meat" above =)) =)) =))
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Return to “Permissions”