speak to your land owner.

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
kenleyboy
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
It is now 15 months and I still haven't managed to secure any permissions so I rely on club digs , if it was not for these I would have knocked it on the head ages ago . The digs are well organised , you pay your fee and keep the finds unless of course you get super lucky and chance upon a hoard or if you ever manage to find an item of historical significance . If so it is requested you hand it in to the organisers and it then goes through the usual channels etc .
My almost permission granted was a yes if I was willing to pay for the day and hand everything to the landowner , so I walked away from that one .I am more than happy to show all the finds , if the landowner wishes to keep them I feel that is their right as much as it may be painful giving all the finds over but not willing to pay for the privilege !
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot .
So for now its club digs for me and I am happy about that for now until my luck changes .
Good luck at finding a permission and thank-you for your thought provoking comments ... by club ... do you include commercial set-ups as well? I do both btw.
I just dig as a club member and manage to attend these on a fairly regular basis which helps keep the interest up and further feeds the determination to eventually succeed in gaining a permission .
Not attended any commercial set ups . The only rally I have been on was the forum three day event up here in sunny Norfolk organised by Liam . Enjoyed that .



geoman
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:27 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by geoman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

The key to solving many issues is to have finder /landowner agreement so there is no problems with sorting out what to do with the finds even if you are paying for access. On club digs and events that is usually sorted out by the club though it cannot be taken for granted that finds can be retained. I attended one a few year back when the landowner wanted all finds saved for him and he took the lot whilst on another the landowner had agreed that most finds could be kept. He changed his mind when he saw what was in the finds display case and took a number of items so there were some unhappy finders at the end of the day.You cant argue as it his property and if you want to go back on the land you have to play ball with them.
Some landowners want paying each time you visit and those that have done this for some time have been know to ask " how much will you pay" so at that point i walk away. To them it is just money thought they dont realise that with the law of diminishing returns after a few years unless it is a very productive site, no one will bother again. I have seen that a few times and one or two farmers have been known to seed the land with finds bought elsewhere to attract searchers.

User avatar
Euro Detector
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Euro Detector » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:30 pm

geoman wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm
I have seen that a few times and one or two farmers have been known to seed the land with finds bought elsewhere to attract searchers.
Lost for words...although it explains why some people find so many cool buttons. Ey, Lowland? B-) ;)
Euro Detector
XP Deus 3.2 with control unit, 11" coil, WS4 + XP MI-6 pinpointer
Metal detecting is like time travelling.
Image

User avatar
f8met
Posts: 1452
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am
Location: Cambs and Suffolk
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 294 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by f8met » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

I was merrily wandering over a field on Sunday when I looked round to see someone walking over. I went to meet then to realise it was the landowner. We stopped and had a great chat about the current field and how the crop was patchy and the fact that I was still finding shooting seeds that had not yet broken through so they would probably recover. How the different soils work differently and how the weather effected this years land. About the failed rape crop and how that will now be spring barley, extending my detecting season considerably. About the 6 deer seen in a neighbours field, of which he has seen 7, and how he is glad they are not being poached. And he said had I tried the little enclosed paddock next to where I have found hammered in the past.

He did then ask if I didn't mind that one of his friends wanted to take up detecting and would I mind helping him out and showing the ropes. I do know him a little and as it is a 350 acre permission there is space for us both and he said he may not stick with it. I am a little tempted to point him to the non-productive fields first so he can cut his teeth =)). He is a nice bloke so I won't do that.

It is good to have good relations as you learn much more about the land. They are pretty laid back with my finds telling me I have a nice collection even when I offer them to them.

Coincidently, when I went around the corner to the next field, there were 7 deer on the edge of the field which ran off.
Dave

Deus, 9" black coil + Elliptical hf

2018 19 Hammered

Roger Williams
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Roger Williams » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello all, I was detecting recently on a field which belongs to my sons in-laws, when a chap wandered over who had grown up with the owners and owned the farm opposite. " You can have a go on my farm if you want too ". He also turned out to be a good friend of my son in laws !. Small world isnt it .
Anyway, I had a go sometime later on his patch, but apart from a tow hitch off a tractor, I didnt find much. I took it to him today just because we were driving past and he said, " did you manage to find the tractor as well ? ". Bearing in mind I hardly know him, he mentioned he had something for me, 2 bloody great swedes !!!. He then proceeded to point out another field I could try out too.
Its just your luck isnt it.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 6791
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 737 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by oldartefact » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Roger Williams wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pm
Hello all, I was detecting recently on a field which belongs to my sons in-laws, when a chap wandered over who had grown up with the owners and owned the farm opposite. " You can have a go on my farm if you want too ". He also turned out to be a good friend of my son in laws !. Small world isnt it .
Anyway, I had a go sometime later on his patch, but apart from a tow hitch off a tractor, I didnt find much. I took it to him today just because we were driving past and he said, " did you manage to find the tractor as well ? ". Bearing in mind I hardly know him, he mentioned he had something for me, 2 bloody great swedes !!!. He then proceeded to point out another field I could try out too.
Its just your luck isnt it.
Its all about relationships, and you are obviously reaping the harvest of countless prior interactions with your family folk.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Paul23
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Paul23 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks chaps for he most interesting stuff. As I am new to the hobby I have yet to get my first permission, so I was wondering once I had one how to keep the dialogue going with them. As many of you have said, it's a two way relationship. If you show them what has been found the word gets out in the farming community and you are put forward for further permissions. Great stuff. Seasons greetings to everyone too.

carlburt78
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by carlburt78 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:46 pm

I was lucky and got permission from the first land owner I talked to , he has 170 acres and a good knowledge of the location of old pathways ect , I think being a courier and delivering to him on a regular basis helped me get permission and luckily I deliver to lots of farms but so far have only asked the one landowner I don't want to bite of more than I can chew as I'm a complete newbie to the hobby

User avatar
GeoJon
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:19 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by GeoJon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:27 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
It is now 15 months and I still haven't managed to secure any permissions so I rely on club digs , if it was not for these I would have knocked it on the head ages ago . The digs are well organised , you pay your fee and keep the finds unless of course you get super lucky and chance upon a hoard or if you ever manage to find an item of historical significance . If so it is requested you hand it in to the organisers and it then goes through the usual channels etc .
My almost permission granted was a yes if I was willing to pay for the day and hand everything to the landowner , so I walked away from that one .I am more than happy to show all the finds , if the landowner wishes to keep them I feel that is their right as much as it may be painful giving all the finds over but not willing to pay for the privilege !
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot .
So for now its club digs for me and I am happy about that for now until my luck changes .
Have you not tried writing to them? Send out a hundred letters and you'l have two or three permissions, guaranteed. They're all on yell.com.
2018 coin finds....
3 Hammies
0 Milled Silver
0 Roman

kenleyboy
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

GeoJon wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:27 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
It is now 15 months and I still haven't managed to secure any permissions so I rely on club digs , if it was not for these I would have knocked it on the head ages ago . The digs are well organised , you pay your fee and keep the finds unless of course you get super lucky and chance upon a hoard or if you ever manage to find an item of historical significance . If so it is requested you hand it in to the organisers and it then goes through the usual channels etc .
My almost permission granted was a yes if I was willing to pay for the day and hand everything to the landowner , so I walked away from that one .I am more than happy to show all the finds , if the landowner wishes to keep them I feel that is their right as much as it may be painful giving all the finds over but not willing to pay for the privilege !
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot .
So for now its club digs for me and I am happy about that for now until my luck changes .
Have you not tried writing to them? Send out a hundred letters and you'l have two or three permissions, guaranteed. They're all on yell.com.
I did have some success recently after sending out 5 handwritten letters . All five letters were responded to and one has offered me permission . I have now got to go and have a meet up with the Farmer once xmas is out the way . I had done plenty of door knocking , emails and typed letters , all to no avail so the handwritten route seemed to work .

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Easylife » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot.
I would not like it much either and would like to think that mine would now say no to others but it is his land and his choice. Maybe those two are exclusive or maybe he allows any who are willing to pay to detect on his land. If you don't ask you will never know. I would not want to pay to detect on already quite well detected land - but I seem to do on many of my local club digs. :))
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

User avatar
Saki
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Saki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:49 pm

I genuinely think this is an fantastic thread. "Speak to your landowner".Brilliant.

MD's really, really should speak to their landowners for a good number of reasons. And not just for selfish ones. When someone grants you permission, then effectively you are in their back garden.
I would say and advise that on every available opportunity, you should speak to your landowner.
In this hussle and bustle soap opera, smart phone day, it costs nothing to say Hi.
The farming life is a very isolated life with long anti social hrs. Are you aware that Farming has the highest suicide rate in the United Kingdom. Not something you read about in the news.
Do those of you who have actually spoke with your landowner not find, that YES, it is initially ackward, but as soon as the farmer sees you actually have an interest in "the land" Then he will chat freely. And the next time and the time after that, you have both got middle ground and a joint interest to chat about. Remember, this land is his passion. He will talk and talk and talk about the land
Please realise that yes, they are only human, and sadly in this present era full of suspicion/fear/mistrust AND Social isolation etc, etc It may take time. And you are not the only one benefiting from this relationship. The social aspects very, very important.
I know "young" farmers on the Scottish borders who are extremelly busy, exhausted and never meet people unless it's the market. And even then, that's every other month or so for a morning.

I live in a very rural area and work to encourage simple social interaction. And that usually starts with an Hello. Try it with your landowner sometime

With all that being said. I like nothing better than the solitude (at times) of my headphones and a large empty field😃😊.
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."


kenleyboy
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Easylife wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot.
I would not like it much either and would like to think that mine would now say no to others but it is his land and his choice. Maybe those two are exclusive or maybe he allows any who are willing to pay to detect on his land. If you don't ask you will never know. I would not want to pay to detect on already quite well detected land - but I seem to do on many of my local club digs. :))
A lot of my local club digs have been on well detected land but things are still found . Apart from the usual knock back replies , most are rejections due to detectorists already on the land . I accept this and leave it at that as the landowner is being loyal to those already using the land which is not a bad thing and if a good relationship has formed between both parties then you have no chance of getting a permission .As you say though , it is the landowners right to allow whoever he wants regardless .
Three club members I know all have permission on one farm , none of them are happy about it but it is what it is .

kenleyboy
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm

I agree WestIrelandCoast , landowners do like to chat about their land . My local Farmer allows me access to walk his land with my dogs , that is a privilege in itself but Metal Detecting is a big No . Quite frustrating especially when the plough has turned a field over but he will not allow it and thats final . We chat on occasions , he likes to talk and I like to know more about the land etc so we get on fine . By just walking around I have found various fossils , few buttons and clay pipe fragments ,all surface finds so I know stuff is going to be in there .I always drop him a bottle and card at xmas by way of thanks for access to walk the land , have a chat and build up a relationship . One day I may get lucky and he might just relent and let me run a detector over one of his many fields but for now I just keep that out of the conversation .

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Easylife » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:32 pm

WestIrelandCoast wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:49 pm
MD's really, really should speak to their landowners for a good number of reasons. And not just for selfish ones. When someone grants you permission, then effectively you are in their back garden.
I would say and advise that on every available opportunity, you should speak to your landowner.
In this hussle and bustle soap opera, smart phone day, it costs nothing to say Hi.
The farming life is a very isolated life with long anti social hrs. Are you aware that Farming has the highest suicide rate in the United Kingdom. Not something you read about in the news.
Do those of you who have actually spoke with your landowner not find, that YES, it is initially ackward, but as soon as the farmer sees you actually have an interest in "the land" Then he will chat freely. And the next time and the time after that, you have both got middle ground and a joint interest to chat about. Remember, this land is his passion. He will talk and talk and talk about the land
Please realise that yes, they are only human, and sadly in this present era full of suspicion/fear/mistrust AND Social isolation etc, etc It may take time.
Well said WIC. After gaining a permission it is very awkward at first with not knowing the landowner at all and not wanting to say anything which they may find negative or take the wrong way. After 9 months with little contact, I took it upon myself to break the ice further by just emailing him finds info and land history. He now better understands what I am about, has a very keen interest and gave me all the rest of his land. I spoke to my land owner, they are only human and there are potentially great benefits for both of you. That bond should be there for life now. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

User avatar
Saki
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Saki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Easylife wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:32 pm
I spoke to my land owner, they are only human and there are potentially great benefits for both of you. That bond should be there for life now. ::g
So true Easylife. Bond/friendship for life
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."


User avatar
Saki
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm
Has thanked: 867 times
Been thanked: 425 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Saki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm
I agree WestIrelandCoast , landowners do like to chat about their land . My local Farmer allows me access to walk his land with my dogs , that is a privilege in itself but Metal Detecting is a big No . Quite frustrating especially when the plough has turned a field over but he will not allow it and thats final . We chat on occasions , he likes to talk and I like to know more about the land etc so we get on fine . By just walking around I have found various fossils , few buttons and clay pipe fragments ,all surface finds so I know stuff is going to be in there .I always drop him a bottle and card at xmas by way of thanks for access to walk the land , have a chat and build up a relationship . One day I may get lucky and he might just relent and let me run a detector over one of his many fields but for now I just keep that out of the conversation .
Patience. He may have other reasons to say no. Delighted to hear your still building a rapport. He may be ensuring your friendship is about the dog walks and not a way in... "good things come. .."
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."


User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Easylife » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm
I agree WestIrelandCoast , landowners do like to chat about their land . My local Farmer allows me access to walk his land with my dogs , that is a privilege in itself but Metal Detecting is a big No . Quite frustrating especially when the plough has turned a field over but he will not allow it and thats final . We chat on occasions , he likes to talk and I like to know more about the land etc so we get on fine . By just walking around I have found various fossils , few buttons and clay pipe fragments ,all surface finds so I know stuff is going to be in there .I always drop him a bottle and card at xmas by way of thanks for access to walk the land , have a chat and build up a relationship . One day I may get lucky and he might just relent and let me run a detector over one of his many fields but for now I just keep that out of the conversation .
Has he given any reason for not allowing you to detect on his land? I would ask him why not?
I know one local farmer quite well who will not allow any detecting at all on his land despite numerous requests by many over the years. We met up by chance recently and got chatting, he asked me many questions about detecting, so maybe he is having second thoughts. He did say that his main reason for opposition was that if something valuable is found that he feels that the finder might just keep it and not let him know. Of course without the land being detected he will never know what's there but can only gain. Hey ho - people!
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Easylife » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:01 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm
Easylife wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm
I went on a door knocking exercise a few weeks ago and saw two fellas detecting the fields where I was hoping to gain permission , once I saw them I just turned the car around and went back home . Pretty pointless when someone else has already got permission and I am not into trying to poach someone else hard work , I wouldn't be too happy if the boot was on the other foot.
I would not like it much either and would like to think that mine would now say no to others but it is his land and his choice. Maybe those two are exclusive or maybe he allows any who are willing to pay to detect on his land. If you don't ask you will never know. I would not want to pay to detect on already quite well detected land - but I seem to do on many of my local club digs. :))
A lot of my local club digs have been on well detected land but things are still found . Apart from the usual knock back replies , most are rejections due to detectorists already on the land . I accept this and leave it at that as the landowner is being loyal to those already using the land which is not a bad thing and if a good relationship has formed between both parties then you have no chance of getting a permission .As you say though , it is the landowners right to allow whoever he wants regardless .
Three club members I know all have permission on one farm , none of them are happy about it but it is what it is .
It is better for him to have just one or two which he can trust to inform him of all relevant finds rather than have many who may not. Also if there are any related issues such as holes not filled in or scrap left on surface then he knows who to question about it. So yes, many good reasons for not opening the land up to more than one or two.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

kenleyboy
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 am

Easylife wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm
I agree WestIrelandCoast , landowners do like to chat about their land . My local Farmer allows me access to walk his land with my dogs , that is a privilege in itself but Metal Detecting is a big No . Quite frustrating especially when the plough has turned a field over but he will not allow it and thats final . We chat on occasions , he likes to talk and I like to know more about the land etc so we get on fine . By just walking around I have found various fossils , few buttons and clay pipe fragments ,all surface finds so I know stuff is going to be in there .I always drop him a bottle and card at xmas by way of thanks for access to walk the land , have a chat and build up a relationship . One day I may get lucky and he might just relent and let me run a detector over one of his many fields but for now I just keep that out of the conversation .
Has he given any reason for not allowing you to detect on his land? I would ask him why not?
I know one local farmer quite well who will not allow any detecting at all on his land despite numerous requests by many over the years. We met up by chance recently and got chatting, he asked me many questions about detecting, so maybe he is having second thoughts. He did say that his main reason for opposition was that if something valuable is found that he feels that the finder might just keep it and not let him know. Of course without the land being detected he will never know what's there but can only gain. Hey ho - people!
I asked about detecting on a piece of his land and he said no so I left it at that rather than pushing the issue , however this was over a year ago and things have moved on since then . He is more than happy for locals to go on the land , we live in a small Hamlet so its a tight knit community here but there are problems with people who run their dogs on the crops and he has had some night hawking problems as well as Hare coursing . I think he is like most people and wary at first but once the barriers are down it has become more relaxed so there is a good chance that maybe one day he may be ok with it . I get the impression if you push him into a corner the hackles go up and with me asking it probably put him on the spot . I have to be patient with him and just let it be and then one day he may possibly bring the subject up . I dont ever mention metal detecting when talking with him but we do talk about the local history and he is well aware that I am passionate about the past .
Who knows ,but one thing I have learnt is to be patient with him .
There are plenty of other farms here and one granted permission but I had to pay and hand finds over so I walked away from that one .

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 1729
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: speak to your land owner.

Post by Easylife » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:08 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 am
Easylife wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:54 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:26 pm
I agree WestIrelandCoast , landowners do like to chat about their land . My local Farmer allows me access to walk his land with my dogs , that is a privilege in itself but Metal Detecting is a big No . Quite frustrating especially when the plough has turned a field over but he will not allow it and thats final . We chat on occasions , he likes to talk and I like to know more about the land etc so we get on fine . By just walking around I have found various fossils , few buttons and clay pipe fragments ,all surface finds so I know stuff is going to be in there .I always drop him a bottle and card at xmas by way of thanks for access to walk the land , have a chat and build up a relationship . One day I may get lucky and he might just relent and let me run a detector over one of his many fields but for now I just keep that out of the conversation .
Has he given any reason for not allowing you to detect on his land? I would ask him why not?
I know one local farmer quite well who will not allow any detecting at all on his land despite numerous requests by many over the years. We met up by chance recently and got chatting, he asked me many questions about detecting, so maybe he is having second thoughts. He did say that his main reason for opposition was that if something valuable is found that he feels that the finder might just keep it and not let him know. Of course without the land being detected he will never know what's there but can only gain. Hey ho - people!
I asked about detecting on a piece of his land and he said no so I left it at that rather than pushing the issue , however this was over a year ago and things have moved on since then . He is more than happy for locals to go on the land , we live in a small Hamlet so its a tight knit community here but there are problems with people who run their dogs on the crops and he has had some night hawking problems as well as Hare coursing . I think he is like most people and wary at first but once the barriers are down it has become more relaxed so there is a good chance that maybe one day he may be ok with it . I get the impression if you push him into a corner the hackles go up and with me asking it probably put him on the spot . I have to be patient with him and just let it be and then one day he may possibly bring the subject up . I dont ever mention metal detecting when talking with him but we do talk about the local history and he is well aware that I am passionate about the past .
Who knows ,but one thing I have learnt is to be patient with him .
There are plenty of other farms here and one granted permission but I had to pay and hand finds over so I walked away from that one .
That may well be the very best tactic for your situation. Best of luck for the future. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

Post Reply

Return to “Permissions”