hobby detecting with children....do i need a permit?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
kfrweaving

hobby detecting with children....do i need a permit?

Post by kfrweaving » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello,

i posted up a similar post elsewhere .....sorry!
I'm new here! I've got metal detectors for my niece and nephew, both under the age of 10.
Mega enthusiastic, but they live in Lancaster....and i'm getting mixed stories about where they can use detectors. Obviously they are going for short trips on occasional weekends and school holidays, so me and my sister are planning this just as an introduction. They can use them in the garden i know. But i've heard that people have to pay £50 for ayear and give plans as to where they are going to detect? I'm wanting to encourage my niece and nephew to this, not discourage them.
I live in Dumfries and Galloway and i know there are places they can use detectors, but i'd like to think they can use them in Heysham. Is there a map of the Lancaster area that gives areas where detecting can or can't be done?

thank you,

kfrweaving

muscles78956

Re: hobby detecting with children....do i need a permit?

Post by muscles78956 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm

kfrweaving wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm
Hello,

I'm new here! I've got metal detectors for my niece and nephew, both under the age of 10.
Mega enthusiastic, but they live in Lancaster....and i'm getting mixed stories about where they can use detectors. Obviously they are going for short trips on occasional weekends and school holidays, so me and my sister are planning this just as an introduction. They can use them in the garden i know. But i've heard that people have to pay £50 for ayear and give plans as to where they are going to detect? I'm wanting to encourage my niece and nephew to this, not discourage them.
I live in Dumfries and Galloway and i know there are places they can use detectors, but i'd like to think they can use them in Heysham. Is there a map of the Lancaster area that gives areas where detecting can or can't be done?

thank you,

kfrweaving
you can use a metal detector anywhere that you get permission from the land owner

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 pm

You can detect on beaches but as said above you need permission from the land owner to detect anywhere else.
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:31 pm

kfrweaving wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm
Hello,

thank you,

kfrweaving
As previously suggested, all land has an owner. You must obtain the landowner's permission before detecting on their land, otherwise you are committing a criminal offence. Simple as that.
Quaerite et invenietis

Makro multi Kruzer
Deus Lite v.3.2 + WS4
Garrett Pro Pointer

kfrweaving

Post by kfrweaving » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Hello,

so basically it would be the council if it was a beach? I know that with fields we would ask a farmers permission.

kfrweaving

JBM

Post by JBM » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

In addition to private land other restrictions, including Beaches is what are called SSSI`s "Sites of Special Scientific interest" Usually notices boards are shown near these areas.

Also some beaches are private.

The internet makes it easy to identify these areas. on the Natural England ,Magic Maps.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

kfrweaving

Post by kfrweaving » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Thank you, that is really helpful. I'll start checking areas with my sister and obviously with owners!
thank you,

kfrweaving

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello 'Kfrweaving' ::g Welcome aboard the forum ::g . The aforementioned advice/information is correct and of course must be adhered to. Don't let the requirements put you off! It's a matter of approaching farmers and landowners in general in your quoted area to ask for permission to detect on any of their land that is not under crop or due to be cropped.

I think that as children will be participating, it's a sensible idea to take one or both of with them with you when you meet the landowner and simply state they will be under your direct supervision at all times whilst detecting. It would be a cold-hearted landowner who dismissed such a request out of hand without giving it some serious consideration.

Check out the NCMD/FID for details of third party indemnity insurance and if possible, consider joining a club in your area. Last but not least, take some time to browse the sub-forums in the blue panel to the left of this page as they will provide many, if not all the answers to the questions you may raise (all of which have been produced by the many experienced detectorists on this forum). All the best and good luck ::g and do let us know how you get on. ::g
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Take your kids with you to your local farm, explain that they would like to spend 30 minutes detecting a suitable field ... get them to smile and show the farmer their detectors ... hopefully his/her heart will melt.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

kfrweaving wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:38 pm
Hello,

so basically it would be the council if it was a beach? I know that with fields we would ask a farmers permission.

kfrweaving
Hi, welcome to the forum. Metal detecting is a great hobby for kids in my view, firstly it gets them out and doing something rather than just sitting on a computer or games console all the time and secondly it can give a better insight to history than school classes as they research items that they find.

Regarding beaches a lot of beaches are owned by the Crown Estate, you just need to read and agree to the T&Cs for their beaches and can then detect between the mean high and low water marks without a permit or need topay a fee.
This site has a map showing the beaches they own in England and Wales and the T&Cs (all very sensible) http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-a ... detecting/
But as mentioned above a few beaches are covered by SSSIs that ban detecting and a few, mainly in towns, are leased out to the local councils who may or may not allow detecting, so it pays to double check but the vast bulk of the beaches shown on the Crown Estate map can be detected.

I am unsure of the rules for beach detecting in Scotland but I believe freedom of access is normally allowed and includes metal detecing, but others are better qualified to say than I am so do not go on just my word.

As others have said for detecting inland permission is required from the landowner.

You say "But i've heard that people have to pay £50 for ayear and give plans as to where they are going to detect?" I have was going to say "no idea what this could apply too", but on a hunch I have just googled "Duchy of Lancaster metal detecting" and it just applies to detecting on land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster and the permit lasts for a year.
Therefore my stong advice would be to detect on land owned by other owners than the Duchy where you would not normally need to pay !!!

Evan

kfrweaving

Post by kfrweaving » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:21 am

Thank you Evan!

I wanted to give my niece and nephew presents to get them outside as you said and to get them interested in history. They do spend a lot of time in front of tv. I will check out the link. Initially they will try the detectors out in the house and then move on to the garden. The children's detectors arrive this week and i've had to go for cheap ones. If they keep up the interest then i'd be prepared to buy a different detector. But i'll just have to see how it goes! But i know they will be excited to use them!

Many thanks!

kfrweaving

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Be warned all detectors go nuts in the house!.

I know its cheating but considering the age of the children see if a local charity shop has a few predecimal coins that you can pick up cheap and place in the garden :D
Edit: That will upset some purists on here so hard hat on s;..

Good luck and let us know how you / they get on.

Evan

Return to “Permissions”