The construction industry...any advice?

Please post all topics here related to the research and gaining permission to metal detect.
Doc Phibes

The construction industry...any advice?

Post by Doc Phibes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 pm

I've been considering making some initial enquiries for permission to dig on and in an area around some fairly expansive playing fields/school grounds in The Crawley area. Having looked at some historical mapping there seems to be a case for having a bash if I get the all clear.
However, I assume there must have been some removal and perhaps redistribution of the top soil at least.
In short, would it be worth having a go?

Mind the doors!

Dave The Slave

Re: The construction industry...any advice?

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Give it a go, you don~t know until you try detecting it as in any area. Soil may have been taken away containing finds, soil may have been brought in containing finds.
Go for it and see what comes up.
Good Luck ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Twit

Post by Twit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Always worth a search unless it is newly stripped back to dinosaur times. Sometimes older layers are exposed, or dug up and mixed into the topsoil... won't know unless you go detecting there.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I tried Wimpy near me. Never got a direct reply. Just a response would I like to buy a house :D

Always worth a shot. The worst that can happen is a no. Even that's better than the feeling of "what if" I had asked.

Doc Phibes

Post by Doc Phibes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks guys!
Next step as ever is gaining permission.
This might be a silly question but how does one thank another individual forum member?
I'm not quite decrepit yet but I have a dread of sending the wrong emoticon etc..seems you can thank others on individual posts.
Might have to change my user name to Victor Meldrew!
Mind the doors!

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Try this one
thumb.JPG
Regards Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Years ago you could buy the foreman or night watchman a few pints to have a bottle dig or metal detect on the building sites,
nowadays it's much harder to get on, they don't want you finding stuff that could lead to delays if archaeological remains etc are found, there wanting it all to go smoothly & quickly, they'll say can't let you on because of insurance & health & safety,
Sometimes I can only get on building sites detecting or bottle digging if I'm working on them & know the builders/landowners,
I tend to go on weekends when less contruction traffic & have to have hi Vis, hard hats, safety boots (composite toe & sole if detecting) etc,
at times I've had to give a copy of a risk assessment & method statement if asked for,
A bottle of drink at end for foreman works a treat, then they remember you & can sometimes call you on there next job if your lucky & they like that's someone's on site out of ours keeping an eye on things like the pikeys stealing the diggers or the scrap!
Best of luck.
Clint ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:19 pm

You never know until you try.

Top soil might have been removed, in which case
1) All the "modern" trash has gone and you could be down to medieval finds ::g
2) They have taken every thing and its a waste of time and effort. ;;z

Like wise when topsoil is brought in you never know what it might contain, heard of a case (might of been on here) where somebody attended a rally and did the background research and found that the one are had been a quarry and it had been filled in - so he ignored that area ..... unfortunately for him the topsoil that had been brought in contained a lot of roman coins and artifacts !.

But as has been said if a construction site its now much harder to get on because of H&S and the risk that you might find something that would prevent the build going ahead.

Evan

Doc Phibes

Post by Doc Phibes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

The locations I'm looking at are actually the green areas around the playing fields in my son's college.
The buildings are quite recent and I'm trying to get my head around to what extent the grounds around them might have been interfered with. There are several mature trees and from what I can see the grass is not exactly bowling green smooth! Although an adjacent barn is now built over, an area where a path/track that once led to it is accessible, permission allowing of course.
I've printed several early maps and up to date ariel pics.I shall dig out some good old Stabilo highlighters and see if there might be any possibility, however remote of detecting.
My apologies if my post was somewhat vague. The replies have made interesting reading and have been encouraging ::g
Mind the doors!

jeap

Post by jeap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

stanslad wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm
Years ago you could buy the foreman or night watchman a few pints to have a bottle dig or metal detect on the building sites,
nowadays it's much harder to get on, they don't want you finding stuff that could lead to delays if archaeological remains etc are found, there wanting it all to go smoothly & quickly, they'll say can't let you on because of insurance & health & safety,
Sometimes I can only get on building sites detecting or bottle digging if I'm working on them & know the builders/landowners,
I tend to go on weekends when less contruction traffic & have to have hi Vis, hard hats, safety boots (composite toe & sole if detecting) etc,
at times I've had to give a copy of a risk assessment & method statement if asked for,
A bottle of drink at end for foreman works a treat, then they remember you & can sometimes call you on there next job if your lucky & they like that's someone's on site out of ours keeping an eye on things like the pikeys stealing the diggers or the scrap!
Best of luck.
Have you found detecting building sites to be rewarding - they are currently building new houses next to a stretch of Roman road and I always drive past with wistful eyes at the soil being exposed.

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm

jeap wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Have you found detecting building sites to be rewarding - they are currently building new houses next to a stretch of Roman road and I always drive past with wistful eyes at the soil being exposed.
Always worth a go on if you can get on them,
On the ones I've been working on I get plans before start of the work & so can get on detecting before the topsoils taken off & have a go after too,
Some times you just find modern rubbish but also found Roman, Medieval & Modern good finds,
The best site was on an old drovers route & Inn site,
Loads of Elizabeth & James hammies, nice Georgian bits like buckles & coins & a couple of gold rings,
So you never know, have a go if you can & good luck.

Return to “Permissions”