Irish Republic and metal detecting

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Ireland within this forum.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Irish Republic and metal detecting

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 am

The laws down south are totally different from NI where the situation is the same as the rest of the UK. I have been tracking the southern Irish MD laws for a while and it looks like there is a healthy concern from the UK archaeologists that southern Ireland is not allowing the use of MD to search for items of archaeological significance.
I point out the great value of the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) finds and how these have identified big opportunities for more targeted digs, thus saving wasted resources on barren sites.
So the situation down south is that they - presently - do not allow detecting as would know it, looking for lost keys, wifes ring in the garden etc is ok but forget about hammies.
The laws may change and I am sure they will as UK archaeologists want their Southern Irish colleagues to have a wider access to recovered artefacts via the MD fraternity and then perhaps extending the Portable Antiquities Scheme to cover southern Ireland.
There is always a deal of politics at work and in this situation we are being helped enormously by the UK archaeologists who see the value in co-operation with responsible detecting. Liam B-)

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Trotboy

Re: Detecting Device Licence Ireland

Post by Trotboy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:30 pm

"should you wish for advice on how to become involved in archaeological research without exposure to the risk of prosecution, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I would say take them up on this, it would be the best way to change mindsets, plus you would win the opportunity to detect on some great sites!
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Did you get any further reply from the "Powers that be" about detecting elsewhere?
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 705

Holedigger Pete

Post by Holedigger Pete » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Well out of order i would say :(

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Pete,

What do you think was out of order?

That he needs a licence or that I asked him if he had got any further in getting one to detect elsewhere?

I'd definitely take them up on participating in a dig or some other related activity. That could be a turning point for Metal Detecting in Ireland, They'd see we don't all have horns on our heads, and are just interested in history and the excitment of discovering something old and lost.
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 705

Hotrod

Post by Hotrod » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Sorry that should have been

Hi Nova :-)
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 705

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi ibecake, sorry to hear of your initial refusal but wasnt totally surprised. How have you got on since as I`m sure some of the Irish detectorists would be interested in getting involved in authorised digs as well as keeping up their hobby.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

soapyjoe

Post by soapyjoe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Be very careful do not ignore there warnings people have been caught and prosecuted in the past in Southern Ireland and they now have all the ammo they need for a prosecution if you are caught and i'm not knocking you going about things the right way by trying to gain a licence
And just to correct someone detecting laws in the North are not the same as the UK it is illegal to detect here as well

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Other than under license, it is illegal to use a metal detecting device to search for archaeological objects in Ireland. The term ‘archaeological object’ is a legal one that has a wide meaning and may include most lost or concealed cultural objects, (including common objects such as coins) and objects of relatively modern date (including 20th century material)

First of all, congratulations on the baby, well done both of you ::g
The statement above remains in place unfortunately, so I would not want anyone down South to think that they are free to go out and detect, because they may get prosecuted.
Thanks for lobbying on behalf of detecting, really appreciated and it looks like we are heading in the right direction at last. Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Croagh

Post by Croagh » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:20 pm

ibecake wrote: So Basically I have took it that its now ok in Ireland to Use a metal detector to Coin Shoot etc on any Lands with the owners permission as long as you are not near any national monuments.
And As all this info is easily available for download here in ireland i can see my summer being very productive i am going to talk to the local Guard just in case but i expect it should be ok as long as i keep to the above criteria. X:)
What is the outcome? Any update?

Thanks
David

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:35 pm

A lot of water under the bridge since the above post, Irish Metal Detecting Society formed, three years of meetings in Dublin to have the laws amended, two Rallies in the South that ran within the laws and we are still lobbying everyone to have responsible detecting allowed and appreciated, Liam ::g

oneProducer

Post by oneProducer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Isn't the HQ of Minelab in Cork?
...why has all the rum gone??

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:10 pm

oneProducer wrote:Isn't the HQ of Minelab in Cork?
Correct, though there are many overseas companies with factories in Ireland due to favourable tax allowances. The ML company has no influence on the detecting laws, that pressure has to come from the Irish politicians and other lobbying groups, Liam ::g

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:23 pm

A bit of an update ... The Irish Metal Detecting Society is now up and running, myself and another Irish detectorist are on the ECMD - European Council for Metal detecting - ECMD Conference in Birmingham in April which will be attended by many European countries, I will be attending meetings in Dublin just before that with Irish archaeologists and there is a growing optimism that the ways of recovering Irish Heritage will in future include responsible detecting.
Contrary to many peoples opinions, (including the FID!) its NOT illegal to buy, own or use a metal detector in the Irish republic, but as in the UK its aginst the law to detect on a protected site. Bizarrely, its alos against irish Law to INTENTIONALLY detect for archaeological items.
Below is a copy of the current guidelines;

REPUBLIC of IRELAND
The National Monuments (Amendment) Act
1987 (Section 2) states:
Subject to the provisions of this section a person shall not:
1a: Use or be in possession of a detection device in, or at the site of, a monument
of which the Commissioners or a local authority are the owners or guardians or in
respect of which a preservation order is in force or which stands registered in the
Register or
2a. in an archaeological area that stands registered in the Register or
3a. in a Registered area
OR
b: Use, at a place other than a place specified in paragraph a of this subsection, a detection device for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects or
c: Promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection
devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects.
Note: `Archaeological area' is defined as ` an area which the Commissioners
consider to be of archaeological importance but does not include the area of a
historical monument standing entered in the Register'.
Section 40 states that `Where in a prosecution for an offence under this section it
is proved that a detection device was used, it shall be presumed until the contrary
is proved that the device was being used for the purpose of searching for
archaeological objects'.
You can still detect for lost items in your garden private property with owners permission to look for their lost items, do the beaches and look for items such as meteorites ... we had such a rally a while back but not many meteorites came up ..
The FID has offered Irish detectorists insurance cover for many years but they sent me this message back in March 2015 - Just heard back from insurers yes you can be covered by FID for detecting within Great Britain, so FID would cover for rallies over here in the UK and detecting in Northern Ireland but would not cover you for detecting in Southern Ireland, but its illegal there anyway.
Gill
Any detectorists from the Irish Republic who have paid the FID for insurance should get in touch with the FID and ask for some clarification on whether their membership includes insurance in the Republic, otherwise its only valid in the UK. Liam

DAVYBFAST

Re: Southern Ireland detecting laws

Post by DAVYBFAST » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:52 am

c: Promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection

Does Mind-Lab IN IRELAND DO ANY OF THE ABOVE? :-/

The old antie metal detecting in the republic of Ireland is slowly changing .

liamnolan

Re: Southern Ireland detecting laws

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 am

DAVYBFAST wrote:c: Promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection

Does Mind-Lab IN IRELAND DO ANY OF THE ABOVE? :-/

The old antie metal detecting in the republic of Ireland is slowly changing .
Minelab is now a supporter for more reasonable detecting laws in the Irish Republic, is engaged in Archaeology2025 to further that argument and is also a co-sponsor of the ECMD Conference in April in Birmingham, so well done to them, they have made some staffing changes ::g
I will lock this topic off as I will now wait until we get past the forthcoming meetings and conferences, hopefully will have something positive to report back. Anyone wanting more info, please send me a PM, Liam :;@

Return to “Ireland Metal Detecting”