Dundonnell Castle Ireland.

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Ireland within this forum.
Danzigman

Dundonnell Castle Ireland.

Post by Danzigman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Photos from a kite.. and 112 pages read.. Im member in Academia, so it is safe, and there is loads to search info in and about..
http://www.academia.edu/10772229/A_stud ... _Roscommon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

mucksavage

Re: DUNDONNELL CASTLE Ireland..

Post by mucksavage » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:54 pm

To those who are interested in walking this monument, I would highly recommend that you refrain from doing so. For those of you who are unaware, metal detecting is an illegal practice in the Republic of Ireland, and an Garda Síochána and the National Monuments Service have been notified of your post. I, for my part, am engaging in regular study and geophysical investigations at this site, with the explicit granted permission of the landowner, as it is private property, and I will immediately report any suspicious activities to the relevant authorities. You have been warned.

Regards,

Daniel Curley

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

mucksavage wrote:To those who are interested in walking this monument, I would highly recommend that you refrain from doing so. For those of you who are unaware, metal detecting is an illegal practice in the Republic of Ireland, and an Garda Síochána and the National Monuments Service have been notified of your post. I, for my part, am engaging in regular study and geophysical investigations at this site, with the explicit granted permission of the landowner, as it is private property, and I will immediately report any suspicious activities to the relevant authorities. You have been warned.

Regards,

Daniel Curley
Hi Daniel.. Im sorry if I have upset you.. It was NO encouragement to metaldetect on this land.. It was more to open the eyes for how much information there is to be found about any sites these days.. Specially ( now this is a kite photo) but specially drone photos these days can give lots of information about a field or site.. Here we have just recived a new book in museums regi telling lots about several sites and fields and the sign to look for. Most Clubs have at least one drone, and furthermore - here metal detecting and archaeologists/museeums are strong banded together in mutual understanding and cooperation..
Wonderfull place this.. Shame it is not open to public.. One of my good friends have just done a 15 days round trip in Ireland, and I must say,, Only wonderfull places and nature..
Kind regards John - Denmark..
OooO

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:13 pm

d;]
d;]
To report me to
Garda Síochána and the National Monuments Service have been notified of your post.
maybe is a bit owerkill.. You obviously know nothing about me.. If you have read or logged into http://www.academia.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you woudl have found out it is a research platform where most modern archaeologists and modern researchers in history post their work, and find information to treatises ect.. ::g

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:15 pm

Language and social issues. I'm sure Danzig is cool.

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Daniel Curley actually wrote the 112 pages about this wonderfull place. So.. At least we can all read about it.. Thank you Daniel. ::g

mucksavage

Post by mucksavage » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:24 pm

As an archaeologist working in public dissemination and interpretation in the Republic of Ireland for a number of years, we take all suggestions of the illegal practice of metal detecting in this country very seriously, and it is standard practice to report to or forewarn the necessary authorities in these cases. I have been witness to more than enough horror stories with regard to this practice, and I will not stand by while this takes place. I take your comment that it is good for information gathering in different districts, however, the Republic of Ireland is not one of those, and I would strongly advise that you do not post Irish sites in this fashion again.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Daniel, I have approved your very first opening post for reasons of transparency and to explain a few things.
John is from Denmark and works closely with the Danish archaeologists, sharing skills and knowledge with them through excavation work. John has not suggested that we should encroach onto that protected site, though many protected monuments in the Republic have open access to the public. http://www.archaeology.ie/monument-protection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Metal detecting is NOT illegal in the Irish Republic. However the National Museum of Ireland generate regular ADVICE POLICY documents which represent their own views and these are sent out everywhere, confusing the public. "The unauthorised use of metal detectors to look for archaeological objects is against the law" Its not illegal to own a metal detector or to use it for beach coinshooting, looking for lost keys, the wifes lost ring in the garden, farmers lost hammer in the field ...
http://www.museum.ie/en/list/metal-detecting-law.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't come onto this forum and threaten our members with Gardai action. If you see something that seems to invite anything illegal, contact the moderators who will be happy to discuss the matter and take the right actions.
I have just returned from business in Cobh, Limerick,Galway and Dublin. I had another meeting in the NMI in Kildare Street to discuss some positive ways of combining the skills and knowledge of the many Irish detectorists, with the Irish archaeological community. The plight of items in plough soil destined to inevitable destruction by the plough and modern fertilizers was discussed. Archaeologists do not have the resources or numbers to rescue these items but still object to detectorists doing the job.
The Irish Metal Detecting Society was formed three years ago to educate the public re responsible metal detecting and to work towards uniting detectorists and positive minded archaeologists in rescuing the hidden heritage before it vanishes forever. We have had three years of talks at the NMI and have explored all possible angles on the impasse. Irresponsible metal detecting can cause damage and the IMDS wants that to stop by way of education and sensible regulation and not draconian laws that will never work and avoid the real issues.
Good luck with your work, I have read its progress, Liam
European Council for Metal Detecting - Irish rep :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

mucksavage

Post by mucksavage » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:07 am

I take your points Liam, however, your referencing of the precise legal wording of "unauthorised use of metal detectors to look for archaeological objects is against the law" is exactly what I seek to safeguard against. The archaeological community in this region has had to bear witness to three confirmed cases of this occurring at important sites in Co. Roscommon since November 2014, and I take any possibility of this occurring again very seriously. I understand that danzig's intention was not along these lines, but I wish to state, and reiterate, that this kind of activity will not be tolerated.
Best of luck with your progression of a safe and responsible unification of metal detecting with archaeology, but in this part of the country at least, the generation of compatibility will be a long process.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks Daniel. I agree that there is much work to be done but the best way out of a problem is to face in the right direction and that means each side talking to each other. The idiots with detectors are running loose in the UK as well as Ireland and they bring no credit to the hobby.
Ireland land use is different to the UK, 22% of the agricultural land under the plough, but its essentially cows and bog land and ancient grasslands that should never be disturbed.
The use of metal detectors is of course one excavation tool used on sites but the archaeologists do not have the skills or knowledge to use the equipment to proper effect and thats an area that has been agreed on, that we work on sites and perhaps scan building plots and other areas before the cement arrives. There have been several road building projects carried out recently in and around Wicklow for instance that apparently went straight through protected sites and there was no surveying for any archaeology. The IMDS could have helped out there for sure.
Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Odin

Post by Odin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:05 am

mucksavage wrote:As an archaeologist working in public dissemination and interpretation in the Republic of Ireland for a number of years, we take all suggestions of the illegal practice of metal detecting in this country very seriously, and it is standard practice to report to or forewarn the necessary authorities in these cases. I have been witness to more than enough horror stories with regard to this practice, and I will not stand by while this takes place. I take your comment that it is good for information gathering in different districts, however, the Republic of Ireland is not one of those, and I would strongly advise that you do not post Irish sites in this fashion again.
You seem to be suggesting that it is somehow forbidden for anyone to discuss area's of historical or cultural importance? There are over 300,000 such places listed in Ireland with all that information purposely made available to the public by the National Monuments Service for EVERYONE to see. Here is the link (all funded by the Irish tax payer)

http://webgis.archaeology.ie/nationalmo ... lexviewer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most of these area's belong to and are protected by the state - i.e. the PEOPLE of the country. It is the COLLECTIVE heritage of a nation and no one person has the right to suggest that's others refrain from discussing them on any public forum or platform. That includes you.

Besides the Irish police have far more serious and important issues to be dealing with than parking up at empty gateways and protecting fields on yours or anyone else's instructions. I didn't see anyone here make any unethical suggestions in relation to this area so good luck with that imaginary police report.

Return to “Ireland Metal Detecting”