Afternoon from South Wales

Only topics specifically related to metal detecting in Wales within this forum.
DeckApe

Afternoon from South Wales

Post by DeckApe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi All

Been looking at the forum and been impressed by the posts and set up. So, have decided to get a detector which is where I hope you guys can help !
As a collector of Militaria for many years I`m mainly going to be visiting old firing ranges, camps etc with the odd bit of field and beach work chucked in too. This is due to a mate in work saying he had taken his sons detector to an old firing range and had recovered spent bullets from the firing butts. This caught my ear so I went out to the spot with him a week or so ago and came back with 10 cartridge cases ( mainly 303`S wartime dated plus some mangled and good bullet heads ).
I absolutely loved every minute ! Am I hooked ? Is this what its like ?
So, for about £100-£150, I was looking at the Garrett 150. Or from what I`m aiming to find could anyone suggest a machine that might be better for relics ? I`m hoping for cap badges, coins and whatever !!
Look forward to hearing from you all
Cheers

mrix
Founder

Re: Afternoon from South Wales

Post by mrix » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Hello and a big welcome DeckApe, glad you have found the forum of interest and hopefully far more use now you have registered B-)
The ace150 is a good machine but many tend to opt for the ACE250 as its got the pinpoint mode :)
I guess as you are new to the hobby the ACE250 would be a good choice for around your budget :)
Best of luck
mrix

rustynail

Post by rustynail » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi DeckApe and welcome to the forum. My advice, if you can stretch to it, about an extra £25 is to go for the Garrett Ace 250. It has a little more going for it than the 150. Whatever your choice make youself at home and enjoy. :)
Will I? Won't I? What kind of silly question is that?

Garrett Ace 250

DeckApe

Post by DeckApe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Having read a fair few reviews they seem to echo what you say i.e spend a little more for the 250 and get more features.
Will look at picking up at the end of Jan mid Feb hopefully so hope to be able to post some interesting finds, we shall see.

Thanks again

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 pm

I am new as well bought a 400i, don't think there is a for sale section on here, but if you have facebook lots of detecting groups with sales ads, also marketplace, just looked and found 2 Ace 250s for £120 & £130.

dingdong

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:10 pm

I started metal detecting for the same reason as you, collected militaria and my brothers house was built on a WW2 RAF base.

I bought a secondhand ace 250 for £100 and never looked back, still available for that price or less if you keep looking, good luck and look forward to seeing your finds.
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 pm

I will just point out that the original item is from 2011 and Deckape not been on the forum for over 7 years.

Saying that the Ace 250 is a good machine, I started with it, and is fantastic value IMHO.

Evan

Return to “Wales Metal Detecting”