Anyone North Glasgow/Stirling Area

Looking for a metal detecting buddy in Scotland ?
leightonalexander

Anyone North Glasgow/Stirling Area

Post by leightonalexander » Sun May 14, 2017 12:55 am

I took up detecting 2 years ago had some OK luck with Roman coins and a few items that have been claimed treasure trove. I now live about 40 minutes North of Glasgow and about 20 minutes West of Stirling. I've got a great permission on an estate where my family rent a cottage. The estate spans dozens of fields and as well as the owner, I have worked with the tenant farmers to gain access to the fields - they were a bit apprehensive as some detectorists caused issues for local farmers. Been turning up the occasional good finds - Roman coins, Elizabethan/Charles 1st hammy a 12/13th-century pennant badge. Find lots of Victorian coins, musket balls by the dozen etc I've got a good setup with the land owner, gamekeeper and warden as I live and occasionally help out on the estate. I've sold a few of the Victorian coins we found (non TT) and donated the proceeds to a charity of the owners choice - it's 50/50 with the owner but I also give a bit to the farmers - I'm more in it for the history aspect, learning more about the local community and staying fit. The fields are a bit too big for one person and I wouldn't mind a buddy who's interested in the history aspect and is good craic - not somebody who's going to screw up the permission by being an idiot as its a real gem. I work offshore on a 2 month on/off rotation and detect when I'm home so it's a bit on/off....yep my offshore job is survey ;-). Let me know if your interested or PM me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oxgirl36

Re: Anyone North Glasgow/Stirling Area

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:49 am

Welcome to MDF! What a great post and superb offer. Wish I was up in Scotland because I'd jump at that opportunity.

I know you'll find someone I just hope you find the right person. Lifelong friends have been made through this hobby and I hope yours ends up being one of them ::g
XP Deus
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Spectre73

Post by Spectre73 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 am

Hi mate

What a fab offer. I would be very interested.

I'm very much a newbie and my only permission so far was on holiday in St Andrews.

I live near Glasgow and although I do not drive my wife does so shouldn't be a problem.

I have been thinking of late about looking to buddy up with someone who has more experience, so this could be ideal.

I can drop you a PM if you wish to discuss it further

Kind Regards
Andy

leightonalexander

Post by leightonalexander » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Hey Andy,

Sounds like a plan. I'm off to Cardiff for the week and then I will be back and in the fields - drop me a PM and i'll square up some dates. The majority of the fields have cattle in at this time and the others are growing for silage - can get quite long and a bit tiring......There's always somewhere to detetc around here though!

Leighton

Spectre73

Post by Spectre73 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 pm

PM sent Leighton ::g

North

Post by North » Mon May 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Leighton, I have also sent you a PM ::g

Jakdaw

Post by Jakdaw » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Leighton,

I live near Stirling, just outside Dunblane, and very interested in meeting up with you. I also work away too, I was offshore North Sea until two years ago, I'm now working out in Saudi on 5/5 week rotation. I have my own permissions and would share with you also. Hopefully we can get together.

All the best, Jim

Return to “Finding a Buddy”