Buddy in Edinburgh, Fife, Stirling, Perth or anywhere ?

Looking for a metal detecting buddy in Scotland ?
stargazer

Re: anyone in Edinburgh,Fife, Stirling, Perth or anywhere ?

Post by stargazer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Check out the Welsh MD forum there's a thread in there about the Scots having a dig at Bannockburn in the near future. Get along to a dig and meet folk. [:)

The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

jacobite45

Post by jacobite45 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello Glenfiddich. I stay in the Falkirk area and I'm completely new to the hobby. I've wanted to get involved for a good while but being a poor student with a family put paid to it. However, no longer a student and thanks to Mr Taxman who has decided to give me some of my hard earned cash back I'm now gonna invest in my first detector (looking at the Ace 150, if I can persuade 'the wife' I'll go for the 250). Anyway, it would be nice to get involved with someone else in the area :) I also have transport as well. I have a area I'd like to detect on - "detect on" is that an official term :-/ It does have historical importance (it does to me anyway). Something I accidently found out while studying history at Stirling Uni. I haven't pinpointed the exact bit of land yet, and might not be able too. But, I'm gonna email my old tutor at Uni and see if he can help me pinpoint the 'thing' I'm looking for. Next stage will be to seek permission from landowner. Hopefully no one has done the area :) Anway old boy, I'll stop going on and on and on and hopefully here from you soon.

Jacobite45

P.S. I'm a Talisker man myself B-)

jacobite45

Post by jacobite45 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 am

Hello Glenfiddich,

thanks for the reply and advice. I've ordered the 250 and I'm now waiting patiently for it's arrival. After looking at lots of reviews etc, it simply made sense to pay the wee bit extra for the 250.

I would be up for a BEEP BEEP big style. Hopefully it will arrive today or Monday. I'll spend a few days practicing with it and getting used to it. I thought I'd practice at the woods in Callander Park, Falkirk as it's very close to my house. So I phoned the council and asked permission etc only to be told the Forrestry Commission own it. I eventually got the Ranger (Mr MacTavish) who said he didn't know if I could dectect on the land. He phoned me back and said "NO!" He was actually very nice and polite about it all. So I'll simply practice in the back garden to get used to it and then when I'm comfortable with it move on to the serious stuff.

I have farmland earmarked and will present myself to the farmer tomorrow and see if I can charm him into letting me loose on his land. I'm hoping no one has done it. Anyway, I'll email you tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

Jacobite45

jacobite45

Post by jacobite45 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:33 am

Hello Glenfiddich,

yes, the council were a nightmare to deal with. It wasn't easy trying to find out who was in charge of this area, made worse by the fact that Falkirk council didn't know themselves! And the wooded area is in Falkirk itself, not Callander (just to clarify were I was wanting to do it). So overall it was a learning curve.

As for the farm, I take on board what you say :) I'll leave it for a few days until I'm ready to go. want to spend a few days gettiing used to the machine. Hopefully come tomorrow. I know the history of the land, and I'm hoping he/she is impressed with what I know and I create a good impression. If I can show that I'm professional and only interested in finding out more about the history of the area, they'll give me permission. I get the feeling the word 'permission' is going to give me nighmares!!!

Jacobite45

Return to “Finding a Buddy”