Digging wet sand question

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Apricot Lil

Digging wet sand question

Post by Apricot Lil » Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 am

Hello Everyone,
We had another pleasant trip down at Worthing on Sunday evening. Beautiful weather and not too busy by the time we arrived at around 6pm and a rather tasty portion of chips to keep energy levels up.
Optimistic as ever we headed onto the beach. The tide was all the way out, could barely even see the sea so lots of wet sand exposed. Setting aside issues of false signals due to mineralisation we did get a couple of positive sounding 'beeps' that we decided to try digging. We soon realised that we were on a dig to nowhere - the hole just kept filling up with water, the sand collapsing back in on itself and our target, I suspect, was continually dropping further down, always just out of reach.
Is there a trick to digging successfully in these conditions?
We were using our homemade sand scoop and a spade:

We didn't find much else on our trip, just 20p and this (Garrett Carrot for scale):
After getting rid of all the material it was encrusted in we realised it's just part of a groyne, but we were quite excited when we first dug it up. :D
Apricot Lil :-*

Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

Koala

Re: Digging wet sand question

Post by Koala » Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 am

When you dig a hole in saturated sand it fills with more salt water from the surrounding sand.

This does two things. Liquefaction happens in the hole and the artefacts sinks. The added salt content means the hole itself becomes a target.

Try digging a hole that fills with water anywhere on beach then scan over the hole chances are it will beep unless you are using a PI or multi frequency machine.

I use a border spade.

I very carefully pinpoint the target.

Deeper targets

Place the spade vertically 6-8" behind the target

Place my foot right up behind the spade.

Using my foot as a pivot point I quickly arc the spade point upwards and throw the spoil forwards with a quick flick of the foot. 90% of the time It will be out of the hole and on the surface. If it fails I stand at 90° and start again this way when it comes out of the hole you only have one lot of spoil to use your pinpointed on

If the target is shallow I just scoop the top layer off. I don't dig a hole that the target will sink into.

With a spade it takes practice and you have to be quick.

Your bolt looks like its from a Groyne or pier

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue May 30, 2017 2:19 pm

The Ace 250 is useless for those areas of the beach really. It's ok for dry sand though. You have to reduce the sensitivity down to almost the lowest setting to stop the majority of the falsing, and getting coin sized targets deeper than about an inch or so is basically just luck. Might be worth looking into a different machine if you're keen to detect those areas regularly.

If you like the Garretts then an AT Pro is ok. Or you could look at the older Minelab machines, they're a bit heavier though but some are cheaper too. PI machines are also an option but the lack of discrimination on most means they're not easy to get to grips with.

A cheap spade is a decent tool for the beach. ::g
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett EuroAce, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Etrac

www.wessexsearchers.club

Apricot Lil

Post by Apricot Lil » Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks for your input hiho,
I realise the issues that the Ace 250 has with wet sand, my query was more about technique when digging in wet sand. At some point though I may well consider looking into a different detector, one more beach compatible.

Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah I realised that after I posted it, my brain takes a while to wake up sorry. A plastic scoop isn't much use on the wet for any meaningful depth. A long handled metal sand scoop with holes in it is the way to go as you can quickly scoop down once or twice and pull the item out of the hole before it gets waterlogged. With a spade you're more likely to make the item bury itself deeper if you're not quick at retrieving the target. If your beach doesn't have stones/rock to contend with then a scoop is a great investment. ::g There's a few decent ones sold here on the MDF.
I wouldn't recommend making one yourself really, I made my own a while back but it took ages, was a bit cheaper ultimately though.
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett EuroAce, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Etrac

www.wessexsearchers.club

Apricot Lil

Post by Apricot Lil » Tue May 30, 2017 3:04 pm

hihosilver wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm
A long handled metal sand scoop with holes in it is the way to go as you can quickly scoop down once or twice and pull the item out of the hole before it gets waterlogged. With a spade you're more likely to make the item bury itself deeper if you're not quick at retrieving the target.
Yes, I had a look on youtube and saw some videos using a long handled metal scoop which did appear to be very effective. I might look into those further.

Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

fred

Post by fred » Tue May 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Personally I'd go for a spade every time on Worthing beach. That way you can do the reclaimed shingle beaches, the wet sand and the compacted shingle beds in the wet sand. ::g

I like Worthing beach very much and will have to take a spin down there sometime. :D

Apricot Lil

Post by Apricot Lil » Tue May 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Yes, Worthing is becoming a firm favourite with us too. Easy to get to, good parking, plenty of beach plus ice cream and fish 'n' Chips. :D
Maybe we just need to practice more on the wet sand with our spade.

Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

linnett2000

Post by linnett2000 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 pm

on youtube there are loads of videos of worthing beach detecting as i watch them myself so might help you out
Fisher F22

Apricot Lil

Post by Apricot Lil » Tue May 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks linnett,
I'll certainly check those out. ::g

Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 pm

I use a evolution 360 sand scoop and a £2 wood handle on it. In the wet u do have to b quick as prev said the hole re fills. Seems like worthing sand is very like mundesley in north norfolk. Generally 3 ish inchs of sand then very fine shingle. The 360 along with the pin pointer is stuff i wonder how i managed with out it. I won't go for the bigger scoop im 6 "2 and 15 1/2 stone and a 360 ccoop full of wet sand is enough. Do u get coins in the shingle ? Ive only found a handfull in the 9 yrs ive been doing the beach. The bulk of the stuff is in the dry soft where i go. I go wonder where it all goes. Does it go really deep in the fine shingle ????? Cheers.

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Junior wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 1:27 pm
I use a evolution 360 sand scoop and a £2 wood handle on it. In the wet u do have to b quick as prev said the hole re fills. Seems like worthing sand is very like mundesley in north norfolk. Generally 3 ish inchs of sand then very fine shingle. The 360 along with the pin pointer is stuff i wonder how i managed with out it. I won't go for the bigger scoop im 6 "2 and 15 1/2 stone and a 360 ccoop full of wet sand is enough. Do u get coins in the shingle ? Ive only found a handfull in the 9 yrs ive been doing the beach. The bulk of the stuff is in the dry soft where i go. I go wonder where it all goes. Does it go really deep in the fine shingle ????? Cheers.
The best bits of Worthing tend to be large beds of compacted 2-6 inch pebbles infilled with a gloopy clay and sand mix. Had some very nice rings and lots of deep fishing weights, coins and the like out of it but a real swine to dig with anything.

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 pm

Youve done a lot better than me..The 360 scoop is a lovely bit of kit.
Last edited by Junior on Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Junior wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 pm
Youve done a lot better than me
Do let me know how you get on with the CTX on your beaches. I promise you that it does work pretty well. I might even pop over from Lynn one evening and show you how it's done! ::g

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 pm

I did have a plastic sand scoop but give up on that once got the 360. Will do with the ctx. Fri - sat and sunday if im un lucky as mrs mad for swimming at mo

Pomz

Post by Pomz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:25 pm

As already been said I'd go with a sandscoop. Only done Worthing beach once but had some pretty good old coins but had to work for em rocks and clay
CTX 3030
EXCALIBUR II
Fisher -F5

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”