Exmouth this morning

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Talek

Exmouth this morning

Post by Talek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 am

I had been planning to go to Exmouth beach again since my brief visit last week. I had the day off today, so got up at 5am, got ready, packed my bag and opened my front door. It was pouring with rain. I almost didn't go but checked the weather and it was due to clear up in the next couple of hours so I walked the short distance to Exeter Central train station. After 25 mins on the train I got off at Exmouth and the rain had thankfully stopped.

I spent about 3 hours on the beach and found not much at all. Loads of nails, tent pegs, scrap iron, a dog tag and 6 pence in change.

The main thing though is that I had a great time. I got up early on my day off work, went out despite the weather, did some detecting and had a nice walk on the beach. :)

It's only my third time out detecting but I have found coins every time, all modern so far. It's just exciting when I hear that beep and not knowing what it is I'm going to dig up.

My main frustration is when I get a signal but can't find the item for ages. I seem to have to dig a lot before I locate the metal. I'm wondering if a pinpointer would be a good investment, especially as I really want to search in soil, if I ever stumble across someone who can give me permission.

Anyway it was a good morning despite the fact I didn't really find much of interest at all. :D

Viking 7MX
Black Ada Ripper

sweepstick47

Re: Exmouth this morning

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

Hello 'Talek' ::g It seems that despite the frustrations of the weather and difficulty in locating the finds, you had an enjoyable day at the seaside with fresh air, and a few finds to boot! ::g

I can tell you that this is in stark contrast to my last outing, which resulted in one 'good' signal which turned out to be a button, of absolutely no significance at all! :(

Pin-pointer - Yes they are very useful though I never felt it necessary to get one until about 5 years ago. I think the decision to buy one resulted from the fact that detectors are now so much more sensitive (and possibly my eyesight is less so) to very small items, shotgun pellets etc. So I would recommend you buy one. The original Garrett 'Pro-Pointer' was my choice and is has proved robust and reliable to date (I don't use it as a digger as some detectorists do)!

Hope you have more success in your subsequent searches ::g All the best - Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:57 am

Well done on getting out at all. ::g I am making an extreme effort to get lots of domestic chores done today and anyway I have a dental appointment later. Don't worry about your finds rate quite yet, detecting does take a bit of practice to get used too.

In general i would say that pinpointers are not really needed on a beach because you can just kick the sand around until you spot the target. Obviously if you are struggling to find targets then it might help. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Well done on getting out and detecting. I will be honest and say that in my case 5 in the morning and pouring rain might have resulted in rolling over in bed and having another couple of hours shut eye!.

Most town beaches get a fair bit of detecting so by this time of year the bulk of last summers tourist losses have allready been found so do not be surprised by your limited finds. OK, we all like getting nice finds but often just getting out there and enjoying the fresh air and scenery plus the health bonus of some exercise walking around is just as important.

A pin pointer certainly makes finding items easier but is not essential. Try getting a bit more practice with your machine, eg one way is going over a coin covered by a piece of newspaper in the garden and see how accurate you can become (with a lot of detectors the target is directly under the shaft but with some it can be further forward on the coil, knowing where the sweet spot is on your detector will help).

Evan

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm

The main thing is that you enjoyed it regardless. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Talek

Post by Talek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you all for your warm encouragement. It seems from what people are saying a pin-pointer is not that necessary for a beach but more important is to learn my machine. I have only had my detector for a few weeks but already I'm learning about it. I've noticed that the object I'm detecting isn't always centered in the coil but can be off to the side. I've got better at digging the sand and finding the object sooner, though some objects still allude me despite my detector saying something is there.

I guess also, life Saffron said, most beaches would have been detected a lot already since the busy season, so good finds may be harder to get. I'm pleased though that I am still finding coins, even if they are just modern and in current circulation.

I'm going to ask everyone I know if they know anyone who owns land with the possibility of me detecting on it. Here's hoping! I will continue with the beach though because it is just nice to walk along by the sea, especially when the location is so lovely and quiet and who knows I might just get lucky! ;)
Viking 7MX
Black Ada Ripper

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi, having bought a middling priced pointer, I can safely say that it has saved me a lot of time on the beach. Sometime you just can't see that coin camouflaged in the sand and shingle. It's especially useful if you have something in the side wall of the hole.
I'm glad to here you got out between the drizzle. ::g . I'm still juggling tides ,time and drizzle without luck this end . ;;z
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
Nox 600
XPointer

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Dont know about you but I use a Sand Scoop on the beach as opposed to a spade. Only use a pointer when on dry sand. ::g

Iced Tiger

Post by Iced Tiger » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 pm

A pinpointer makes it a lot easier on the beach, sand scoops are just as good, as long as the target is in the scoop, ::g . I have both B-) .
Primary, Equinox 800 (still learning) ):=
Secondary, SWMBO with her Go-Find 60
Or should that be reversed. ;))
Thirdly, X-Terra 705

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

For many detectorists a pin pointer is more important than their machine.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

local hero

Post by local hero » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:49 pm

This combination pointer and scoop might be useful in dry sand if you drill holes in it ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

roofwash

Post by roofwash » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 am

Wow,
Did you make that yourself?
How does it work?

local hero

Post by local hero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 am

Yes, you need to make a big hole to poke the pinpointer through.

It was made for doing spoil heaps at archie digs, just leave the pinpointer turned on and scoop away.

cammann

Post by cammann » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:30 am

oldartefact wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm
For many detectorists a pin pointer is more important than their machine.
definitely agree with this. I love my Deus and might like to try out an Equinox sometime soon just for fun BUT.... I'd never think of changing my Garrett for anything else. Its essential, although as many have said, perhaps less so, on a beach where you can just grab handfuls of sand and pass them over the coil to identify the whereabouts of the hidden treasure.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

Talek

Post by Talek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

That's a cool scoop local hero, I like it a lot. :)

I think I will invest in a pin-pointer at some point, but there is no urgency, I will wait until I can afford a decent one.

Another thing I was wondering about beaches is does the wetness of the sand effect the sensitivity of the detector? For example is it easier to detect in the dry sand because I have a very basic detector.
Viking 7MX
Black Ada Ripper

local hero

Post by local hero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Talek wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm
That's a cool scoop local hero, I like it a lot. :)
Cheers Talec ::g

Rayc

Post by Rayc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:35 pm

This won't be of any use on beaches but when you do get a land permission try sticking a golf tee in where you think the target is. I had problems initially locating finds with my Safari; the golf tee put me on a learning curve and I don't need it anymore.
BTW my black Garret pinpointer is an essential item!

roofwash

Post by roofwash » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 am

This won't be of any use on beaches but when you do get a land permission try sticking a golf tee in where you think the target is. I had problems initially locating finds with my Safari; the golf tee put me on a learning curve and I don't need it anymore.

Why cant this golf tee method be used on a beach??
You stick in a golf tee?
Then what ???

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 pm

roofwash wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 am

Why cant this golf tee method be used on a beach??
You stick in a golf tee?
Then what ???
The idea of the golf tee had me slightly confused initially, but I worked it out.
On pasture if you get a signal and pinpoint it marking the spot with the golf tee, when you dig the clod out you then compare how accurate the marking was against where the target is ... eg then you might find that you consistently are 3" short of the target so learn to adjust where you dig (hence the "learning curve and I don't need it anymore").

Obviously if you are on sand when you dig a target it all collapses into a heap so you can not accurately compare where you thought the target was (marked by the tee on pasture) with where it actually is.

If having trouble pinpointing with the detector try putting a coin under a sheet of newspaper and practicing. On some machines the target is directly under the shaft while on others it is slightly further forward (and on a few might even be some where else).

Evan

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”