Crown Estate

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
CorporalJellyfish

Crown Estate

Post by CorporalJellyfish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I recently bought a Garrett Ace 250 after wanting to get into metal detecting after about 15 years of thinking about it. 180 Felixstowe Hunter (Ben's) videos were a bit of an inspiration as I live in East Ipswich and head down to Felixstowe most weekends, normally ending up with a spot of beach combing. I joined this Metal Detecting Forum to do some research but i'm a bit confused regarding the Crown Estate as regards to the beaches and rivers. The map on their website doesn't show they own anything along the River Orwell or Felixstowe but they do show up as owning the banks along the Deben and Stour. https://crownestate.maps.arcgis.com/... ... index.html... I've seen plenty of people detecting along the River Orwell and obviously the beaches at Felixstowe so why is it not on the Crown Estate map?

Thanks.

FULLTIMER

Re: Crown Estate

Post by FULLTIMER » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 pm

If it's not marked in purple on the map then obviously the crown dosn't own the foreshore, even if the area's are marked in purple it dosn't automatically mean you can detect on them as many area's are leased out to organisations such as English nature / Natural England etc who generally don't allow detecting , whole area's of the North Norfolk coast for example are no go area's for detecting for this very reason.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:09 pm

its complicated and confusing

some on the crown estate you can't dig. Due to loads of factors. Could be leased out, nature reserve and so on.

Some are a SSSI but you can still detect

Others you can detect as the owner which isn't the Queen allows detecting.

you can't go off what others detect as some will be detecting illegal

not my part of the country. But if you change the title to something like which beach's in ?? can I detect. Someone local will hopefully chime in.

often the forum search will have the answer to a particular beach

as some examples here in the north west.

South of Blackpools South pier is both not owned by the Queen and is a SSSI but you are fine as long as you keep of the mud flats

CorporalJellyfish

Post by CorporalJellyfish » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm

I believe the gaps on the map in Felixstowe and The River Orwell is land owned by Suffolk Coastal District Council to an extent.
This would explain why there are detectorists using these areas including the YouTube videos. I found an interesting FOI request online from somebody requesting to detect on Suffolk Coastal District Council land and was granted to detect on any of their land and this was confirmed by their legal team. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... tal_detect
The only problem being, that there is no easy way to find out what land they actually own as there is no asset map of such. I guess it would be either asking the District Council or putting in Land Registry requests.

Either way, I agree @Koala, its complicated and confusing. I'll just start off with areas I can confirm and take it from there. Thanks

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”