Makro Racer 2 for beach?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Beercan

Makro Racer 2 for beach?

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first machine and started with a budget of £150-£200 then good old budget creep set in and I ended up at £400-£500!

Due to where I live (Exeter) most of my detecting will be at the various local beaches, on the estuary or in the river at low tide. So I started to look at the Makro Racer 2...

I've been watching all the YouTube beach tests of various machines up to this price range and concluded that the Racer 2 performs well out of the box and is simple to configure for use in wet sand.

As such I think I am about to take the plunge and buy one, but I have a couple of questions before I do and I hope you vets can help please?

1. Am I missing something fundamental, or is the Racer 2 a good bet for the money/my budget?
2. Is the pro package at £550 worth the extra £130 over the standard at £420- considering I still need a pinpointer and all other gear - would I be better to stick to the standard package and spend the extra on other bits?
3. Am I spending too much on my first machine? Is it likely to hold its price if I end up not carrying on with the hobby for whatever reason? (I only ask as I don't want to buy a c.£180 machine and find I "buy twice" within a month)...
4. Do the standard rules apply as to all other hobbies when it comes to telling the wife how much it cost? x; =))

Thanks for reading!
Steve

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Makro Racer 2 for beach?

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 am

Hopefully some Macro users will be along shortly to give you some beach advice on this machine
But when making your purchase, dont forget to look at our own forum shop too for a deal
Forum Shop
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 am

The Makro Racer 2 is a great machine with high performance for the price range, its reasonably light weight has a nice clear screen which is simply to use, will work very well on most beaches, it worked brilliantly on my beach with really good depth ::g
Little tip if you purchase one and metal detect at the beach.
Ground Balance first by the waters edge then after increase the gain to as high as the machine will remain stable ::g I used to operate mine at 100% which gave some fantastic depths.
However It can be a little more difficult to use on black sand beaches.
Best of luck in whatever you decide on ::g

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm

I am really enjoying my Racer 2 at the moment and I am very impressed with it..I haven't it used it much on the beach, but the few times I have been out its worked well...

A few points worth considering..

Be careful of buying "old stock"..The original Racer 2 required an additional Bluetooth modual to work with wireless headpohones..From what I gather, they are not easily obtainable and are fairly expensive. There are other alternatives in the form of non Makro Bluetooth transmitter & headphones and they can work well, but are not as "neat" as the Makro set up...

Later Racer 2's have a built-in wireless (not Bluetooth) transmitter, but you need to buy the dedicated Makro headphones which are fairly expensive, but I believe the set-up works extremely well...

I bought one of the "packs" (not the Pro) about 5 months ago that was on offer and I felt was a good deal. The bonus was it contained a Makro Pinpointer which was not listed in any advert and which the retailer did not know was included in the pack, so it worked out even better. The only down side was that the Racer 2 was an old model without the new wireless set up which was probably why it was being discounted...

One final thing to consider is that in your budget range, you can also get some very good secondhand kit..I bet if you shopped around and bought privately, you would probably get a used Anfibio or Nox600 in that price range...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty much set on the machine now, but still struggling with the decision over standard or pro.

Pro has the benefit of the sniper coil, extra lower and a couple of waterproof covers, but buying standard would give me cash to buy a sand scoop which is going to be needed I think!

I have plenty of rechargeable batts, and can get a cheap headphone set until I want to go wireless.

So it's whether the sniper coil is of value I guess... :-/

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi beercan
Dilemma dilemma dilemmas
It never stops even when you've made your choice.
Excellent advice from all posts so far and your final choice will be whats in both your head heart and most importantly your pocket.
I was in the same quandry, my final choice was in your final price(creep)range.
MDF shop should give you mdf discount at point of sale and Regtons a dealer in Birmingham gave me 10% of a Makro multi cruzer, which at the time gave me the detector, wireless headphones etc etc all for £570 which I thought was reasonable. The advantage of this detector is its waterproof to 10 feet and has an easy to use screen like most other makros.
You"ll obviously need a pointer to the future but if beaches are your aim at the mo a simple garrett sand scoop works well.
The sniper coil is good for getting between stubbled fields and can be used in tight rocky foreshores, but so far I have fought the urge to buy one.
If you go 2nd hand use a decent dealer who gives you some warranty, there are as already stated some really good models out there within your price range.
Finally I must admit, I fell in love with the hobby and wished with hind sight that I'd gone straight for a better machine at first, but that dosnt always suit everyone.
Dont forget you"ll always find a ready market for good starter machines.
Exmouth beach is a great place to hone your skills with a steady stream of derectorists at work and no matter how much is found, theres always more down there.
So hopefully see you down there one day with you new machine of choice.
Be lucky
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks Len,
I think I will go for the standard package. There's one in the MDF shop I'm considering.
The way I'm thinking is that I can always buy a sniper coil if I need one, but having one "just in case" may be a poor investment when I have other kit to buy.
I'll keep you posted once I pick one up. I was also thinking of trying Exminster marshes. Have you tried there?
Cheers,
Steve

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi
Good choice there, you'll be digging targets in no time
The marshes at Exminster are all controlled by the RSPB and the council so they are no go
areas. All land, usually is owned by someone so to detect there without permission would
be strictly illegal. Ideally you will need permission to detect on most land, hence many people join clubs or get out chatting to farmers and landowners to get permission to enter their land/property and detect.
Have a good look through the blue area on the left to check the beginners guide etc or as youre doing ask the 'question' and others will help with the answers.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Beercan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 pm
Thanks Len,
I think I will go for the standard package. There's one in the MDF shop I'm considering.
The way I'm thinking is that I can always buy a sniper coil if I need one, but having one "just in case" may be a poor investment when I have other kit to buy.
I'll keep you posted once I pick one up. I was also thinking of trying Exminster marshes. Have you tried there?
Cheers,
Steve
Check the Pro pack carefully as I think as well as the sniper coil, you also get a spare lower shaft and coil bolt set which together normally retail for about £25 if bought individually...
Last edited by Pete E on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Bootneck45RM wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm
Hi
Good choice there, you'll be digging targets in no time
The marshes at Exminster are all controlled by the RSPB and the council so they are no go
areas. All land, usually is owned by someone so to detect there without permission would
be strictly illegal. Ideally you will need permission to detect on most land, hence many people join clubs or get out chatting to farmers and landowners to get permission to enter their land/property and detect.
Have a good look through the blue area on the left to check the beginners guide etc or as youre doing ask the 'question' and others will help with the answers.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Len
Thanks Len. That makes sense. I've noticed the majority of the foreshore Exmouth side and the Exe up to Countess Wear is owned by the Crown. Although this is also SSSI land there's nothing I can see in the relevant Natural England docs prohibiting searching here so I think that's an OK section.

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Good luck with that one then beercan - worst comes to the worst I can always visit you in Exeter 'nik' and put your detector on gum tree for you,lol. 🤔🤐👮‍♂️
Take care and see you about
Cheers
Len👍

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Not sure what you mean? I've done the research and didn't find anything so thought the Exmouth side was clear. Maybe you could help me out with what I am missing then please?

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 pm

You are not allowed to detect SSI Sites of Scientific Interest. Beware wardens are employed and turn up in the most unexpected places.

Beercan

Post by Beercan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks; I must have been mistaken when researching this as I thought I read that you had to check the "operations requiring Natural England's consent" and I found nothing about detecting in this section for the SSSIs I had been reviewing.

The magic map shows the whole of Exmouth Beach is covered under the same SSSI that covers Dawlish Warren SSSI and borders the Exe Estuary SSSI. If detecting on the beach is OK why would other areas of the same SSSI not be (notwithstanding the areas managed by the RSPB as suggested earlier)?

I hope this is not coming across as argumentative - I'm genuinely trying to understand what has clearly become a minefield of permissions and rules. Now I don't know where I can go... :-/

Maybe a new topic in permissions would be a good idea... x;

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Beercan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first machine and started with a budget of £150-£200 then good old budget creep set in and I ended up at £400-£500!

Due to where I live (Exeter) most of my detecting will be at the various local beaches, on the estuary or in the river at low tide. So I started to look at the Makro Racer 2...

I've been watching all the YouTube beach tests of various machines up to this price range and concluded that the Racer 2 performs well out of the box and is simple to configure for use in wet sand.

As such I think I am about to take the plunge and buy one, but I have a couple of questions before I do and I hope you vets can help please?

1. Am I missing something fundamental, or is the Racer 2 a good bet for the money/my budget?
2. Is the pro package at £550 worth the extra £130 over the standard at £420- considering I still need a pinpointer and all other gear - would I be better to stick to the standard package and spend the extra on other bits?
3. Am I spending too much on my first machine? Is it likely to hold its price if I end up not carrying on with the hobby for whatever reason? (I only ask as I don't want to buy a c.£180 machine and find I "buy twice" within a month)...
4. Do the standard rules apply as to all other hobbies when it comes to telling the wife how much it cost? x; =))

Thanks for reading!
Steve
The R2 is a very good machine for the money and a good performer on the beach, read my six month review on here.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Many sand dunes are protected areas, simply because of the grasses that grow on them. Many rare plants are protected, which also grow in these areas, such as Orchids.

I got caught by a warden a few years ago. Just come off the beach and was showing an interested lady how Detectors work. We were just about to test a signal at the top of the beach when a voice behind me said ‘I hope you’re not thinking of digging there’ Ah !
Anyway she turned out to be a very nice warden and informative. She told me that mostly they turn a blind eye to detecting the beach itself but will jump on you if you wander off it. So it’s an odd situation really. Why is the whole area, beach included marked as an SSI area.
As the warden said, nothing grows on the beach. One good tide can strip it clean.
I think it’s a case of, You pays your money and takes your chance.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Beercan wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for reading!
Steve
hello, theres one for sale on here, tony 47 seller

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 pm
Beercan wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for reading!
Steve
hello, theres one for sale on here, tony 47 seller, although an old add has not put sold

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 pm
You are not allowed to detect SSI Sites of Scientific Interest. Beware wardens are employed and turn up in the most unexpected places.
You can detect on a lot of SSIs, it depends on the rules for each one and you need to check the individual rules for the site you are interested in.
Some might say "Bait digging banned", I always take this to mean metal detecting as well as the result of digging a hole, if for worms or metal, is exactly the same.

On beaches the Crown Estate permission only covers the area between the mean low water and mean high water lines, so never try to detect in the dunes behind them.

As for the Racer 2 until getting a Nox last year I used the Racer 2 and its fine on beaches, and for the money will take a lot of beating.
The "extras" in the pro package are worth it, but if cahs is an issue do not over stretch yourself and get the standard machine then if you want you can get the other items in the future when finances are better.

Evan

hammy20

Post by hammy20 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am

Hi £260 will get you a CS4Pi? If you are just doing beaches/wet sand etc its a great buy. From your posts it seems your new to beach detecting? Eldorado it isn't,many hours of tent pegs/bottle tops/aluminium/iron and grotty coins await! Have fun :))

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 am

hammy20 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am
Hi £260 will get you a CS4Pi? If you are just doing beaches/wet sand etc its a great buy. From your posts it seems your new to beach detecting? Eldorado it isn't,many hours of tent pegs/bottle tops/aluminium/iron and grotty coins await! Have fun :))
Although I have not used one I have heard lots of great reports about them being brilliant for beach detecting.

Hammy, I did notice you said "If you are just doing beaches" however the OP said "most of my detecting will be at the various local beaches", suggesting that some of his detecting would be inland.
My understanding is that being a PI machine with no discrimination that this makes them unsuitable for inland detecting.

So while the Racer 2 would be good for both beach and inland the CS4PI would only be suitable on the beach (and then mean a lot of digging!).

Evan

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:31 pm

hammy20 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 am
A PI machine will also mean a lot of digging on local beaches as well!
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

hammy20

Post by hammy20 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Only do beaches now,to old for mud now. Had an old Cscope detector back in 90's when living in Buckinghamshire. Now live 5 miles from the coast,choice of beaches,a couple of hours swishing,fish and chips,and home for Bargain hunt! Joys of being retired :D . Beaches here are dire at the moment,environment agency hell bent on pumping sh****ads of sand on any beach they can get access to!. Joys of the CS4Pi is you can get very deep,had some good 925 silver at silly depths,also normally get enough coinage to pay for parking(free in winter) and tea.

Happy hunting!

JH

CS4Pi

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Get a used Equinox 600!!!

I've owned Racer 1 & 2...but now own Equinox 800 and difference is immense!! ::g

Matt

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”