Pulse Induction capability on a different kind of 'beach.'

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Wigeon

Pulse Induction capability on a different kind of 'beach.'

Post by Wigeon »

This is not what one would usually term a beach. It was a beach in ancient times though.

I am referring to the fen edge where the underlying clay slopes gently down into what was once the water of the fens. What was once the water is now peat.

The peat was laid down over thousands of years and varies in depth. Since the drainage of the 17th Century the peat has wasted away exposing areas that had lain covered for millennia.

Members will be familiar with metal objects being placed in the waters as part of rituals. We have several examples in the area, the most well known being Flag Fen.

If a votive depositional horizon of the bronze age exists futher out from the fen edge modern day 'beach', meaning objects lying on the fen clay soil would be out of reach of 'normal' detectors, would a PI machine go deeper?

I have read lots on this site regarding PI detectors and fully appreciate that they do not have any discrimination. Folk mention digging lots of iron on a regular basis.

What is the 'real world' depth that PI machines achieve ? Lets say on damp/wet peat soil, depending on season.

Agricultural land, which is fairly clear of iron, however those deep plough-share points and horseshoes do turn up after much digging.

Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Incognito

Re: Pulse Induction capability on a different kind of 'beach.'

Post by Incognito »

It depends on the machine, and the following is very rule of thumb.

A more basic pi detector will roughly match a medium level vlf out of salt for depth, will beat most in salt environment. A mid level pi (say tdi) will go to around half a meter for smaller objects (say coin) on land and in salt, so it will beat most all vlf for depth. Lighter soil is no drawback. Then the high end pi go quite a bit deeper. On some pi there is possibility to disc out iron (to a lesser degree).

Welcome anyone to correct the above or add own experience.

You have to add the cost of a larger spade maybe...but if it is softer soil you are digging, and there is actually something of interest to be found..... have fun :D .

fred

Post by fred »

I'm Ok with those figures and would suggest a BA axe head at a metre would be reasonable.

In my experience a CTX is just as good as all but the high end PIs, it isn't be fooled by small bits of iron, it doesn't interfere with other detectors at 50 metres and you can realistically take it on land. It does take a lot of practice to get that sort of performance though and digging holes 18 inches or more deep can be quite challenging.

I'm waiting to see what the new Fisher PI is like in reality but I doubt if I'll be trying it on land.. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Wigeon ::g

"What is the 'real world' depth that PI machines achieve ? Lets say on damp/wet peat soil, depending on season".

In order to provide a meaningful answer, the size of any potential target would need to be known, though depth/composition attitude in the ground and sensitivity settings will each have an affect on the potential depth the machine is capable of. Of the above, I think it's fair to say that the predominant factor affecting the depth capability of detector will be the size of the target object. Hope this helps. All the best - Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

sweepstick47 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:07 pm
Hello Wigeon ::g

"What is the 'real world' depth that PI machines achieve ? Lets say on damp/wet peat soil, depending on season".

In order to provide a meaningful answer, the size of any potential target would need to be known, though depth/composition attitude in the ground and sensitivity settings will each have an affect on the potential depth the machine is capable of. Of the above, I think it's fair to say that the predominant factor affecting the depth capability of detector will be the size of the target object. Hope this helps. All the best - Regards ss47 ::g
Thank you Sweepstick47. At Flag Fen there is clear evidence for votive offerings being carefully placed in the waters. For example, swords that have been deliberately broken into three pieces lie as if they had not been broken.
The type of artefacts I have in mind are axe-heads, spears, swords, daggers and similar.
Following a recent very deep ploughing and under-draining, I have some evidence to support my hypothesis, so not just a wild ars*d guess. ::g
I was also intrigued by Fred's comment regarding the achievable depths with the Minelab CTX. I have noticed lots of folk selling the CTX in favour of the Equinox, which seems to have brought the prices tumbling for pre-owned ones.
If I go the CTX route, I shall have to tap Fred for a lesson or two :D .

fred

Post by fred »

I'm up that way all the time! ::g I don't think that the Nox is quite as deep as the CTX, although there isn't a lot in it, but it's a hell of a lot lighter and far easier to use.

PS If you even suspect another Flag Fen I'm not sure that you should really be digging it up yourself.
Equinox 800 x2

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

fred wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:54 pm
I'm up that way all the time! ::g

PS If you even suspect another Flag Fen I'm not sure that you should really be digging it up yourself.
Thanks Fred, much obliged.

No, nothing so grand as Flag Fen but potentially interesting.

I am a lifelong keen historian and amateur archaeologist so I woundnt dream of damaging an archeological site.

I have good friends who are trained archaeologists who have seen the (limited) evidence, are fully aware of my activities and have already visited the site at my invitation and with the blessing of the land-owner.

It would be fair to say that I am at the 'one Swallow doesnt make a summer' stage at present. It is a case of trying to prove or disprove and corroboration may or may not be there to find.

It wont be for the lack of trying though.

Hope burns eternal ::g .

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Good Luck Wigeon, Let's hope your further findings result in some revelations for inclusion in your updating 'tales from the wetlands' ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

LE.JAG

Post by LE.JAG »

Wigeon wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:41 pm
This is not what one would usually term a beach. It was a beach in ancient times though.

I am referring to the fen edge where the underlying clay slopes gently down into what was once the water of the fens. What was once the water is now peat.

The peat was laid down over thousands of years and varies in depth. Since the drainage of the 17th Century the peat has wasted away exposing areas that had lain covered for millennia.

Members will be familiar with metal objects being placed in the waters as part of rituals. We have several examples in the area, the most well known being Flag Fen.

If a votive depositional horizon of the bronze age exists futher out from the fen edge modern day 'beach', meaning objects lying on the fen clay soil would be out of reach of 'normal' detectors, would a PI machine go deeper?

I have read lots on this site regarding PI detectors and fully appreciate that they do not have any discrimination. Folk mention digging lots of iron on a regular basis.

What is the 'real world' depth that PI machines achieve ? Lets say on damp/wet peat soil, depending on season.

Agricultural land, which is fairly clear of iron, however those deep plough-share points and horseshoes do turn up after much digging.

high voltage POIs
14 volts and more will always be deeper
that bbs / vlf at the beach

I have already found bronze age objects
Roman or Gallic coins at the beach
a few times caught in the clay (several centimeters)
out of reach of conventional detectors

however, some clay or peat layer in a thousand sheets
(different strata with different organic origin)
can do screen even for Pi

try a deepstar if you can or wait for the next fisher ...
PI Fisher--Aquamanta / Pulsepowers Goldscan 5C / Vista Gold / Nexus Coronado

forgive my english ...

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”