Advice needed, beach detecting.

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Oscaratplay

Advice needed, beach detecting.

Post by Oscaratplay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi folks,
I have received a one off permission to detect a National Trust beach in order to try and find my own lost wedding ring. It was lost in dry sand, but last week's weather may have moved it. I have never detected a beach before and have several machines. a) Deus XP, 13" and 9" coils, Software V4. b) TS2 SE, 13" coil and c) Garret AT Pro. My question is, which machine is best for the conditions and what settings would folk recommend?

"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.

Bootneck45RM

Re: Advice needed, beach detecting.

Post by Bootneck45RM » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi Oscaratplay,
Judging by your range of machines, you've been detecting for a while and should know their limitations and foibles. IMHO, all should work well on dry sand, so any beach programme or programme suitable for a mineralised environment should work.
Personally I would take all with me, and perhaps a partner or buddy to use an alternative machine in order that as much ground can be covered in the time you have available.
One could concentrate of your suspected area of loss whilst the other checks the cuts and surf line, where gold is often deposited.
As well as this you could try the old trick of popping another gold ring in a plastic bag attached FIRMLY to a piece of string and then bury it in the dry sand and then run the machines over it, in order to give you an idea of what it should sound and ID like on each machine.
I'm sure others will pop up with alternative and useful advice, so best of luck in your endeavours and I hope you're successful 🤞👍.
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

Oscaratplay

Post by Oscaratplay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for that, I am no novice, but beaches have never held any interest for me, hence the question. My major problem is that I don't have space to take all the machines (wife plus luggage in an MX5). Also the NT were very specific with their permission.... me only on the one beach where the loss occurred! (Collateral finds would be nice!). Permission from the NT is amazing and wholly unexpected. They actually thanked me for going through the proper process. 😀
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

assuming its a complete ring with no breaks

its a medium weight or larger

not made from ceramic or similar

any detector will easy find it in the dry sand.

Oscaratplay

Post by Oscaratplay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm

My concern is that the storms of last week may have moved it!

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am

I would use the AT pro that will find it but don't forget to ground balance as very important with the AT on the beach. You will just have to do a section at a time and take your time, scan slowly it will turn up. HH beachboy70 ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Oscaratplay wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm
My concern is that the storms of last week may have moved it!
we have no way of knowing without being there.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Unless you lost it in an area the tide didn’t reach You can bet on it NOT being we’re you think you lost it. Tides will have washed it down and across the beach. You need to give yourself a very wide search area.
Do you know from which direction the wind was blowing ? ie if it was blowing from the west, Hunt in that direction. That might change your mind on which machine to use.
I’ve only used the Deus on the beach and the best tip I was given was to reduce the sens to compensate for the mineralisation. Depth shouldn’t be too much of a problem as your ring hasn’t been there long enough to go down very far.

Very best of luck. You never know what else you might find ::g

littlehove

Post by littlehove » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Unfortunately I assume there are a lot of people who have metal detectors who will be oblivious to the fact that not all beaches are okay to search on. Let's hope that one of them hasn't got to your ring before you.

Good luck! :)

Oscaratplay

Post by Oscaratplay » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Guys, thank you for all your advice. I found my ring after a couple of goes, and now I suppose I will have to report back to the National Trust and "give them their beach back"! I certainly do not want to take liberties after their understanding of my situation. It just shows, you don't get, unless you are prepared to ask nicely!

littlehove

Post by littlehove » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Good result there then Oscar. You could always sneakily bury it again in a corner of the beach that only you know. Then you'd have to spend a few more sessions looking for it :)) =))

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Great out-come Oscaratplay. So pleased for you and yes I s’pose you should complete the circle by say ‘Thank You for your understanding’

Good manners cost nothing :D

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Well done on recovering your ring, bet that was a huge sigh of relief sw; :-O :D
Also for following correct procedure.
Well done ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Bootneck45RM

Post by Bootneck45RM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Well done on the successful outcome, always nice when things come together.
By your approach and thanks to your contact, you may even pave the way to how they think about future detectorists requests.
Never a bad thing and as Ladybird66 says, "it completes the circle".
Regards
Len
Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

fred

Post by fred » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 am

Well done! ::g Thanks for letting us know.
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”