Where to dig on a beach?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.

Where is the best place to detect

Green line
13%
1st Red line
13%
2nd Red line
33%
3rd Red line
40%

Total votes: 30

George L

Where to dig on a beach?

Post by George L »

-=+:-P Merry Christmas Everyone -=+:-P

I tried detecting on a North Wales beach a few days ago.. I was detecting around 10 - 15 ft from the wall of the promenade where I thought people would normally sit during the summer, but aside from constantly detecting the foundation legs of the wall, I found nothing but a single 20p that was around 8 - 10 inches down and a chunk of cast iron pipe that was about 18 inches down..

I'm wondering if I am detecting at the wrong level of the beach.. The attached photo shows where I was detecting by means of green arrows and a green line..

There are a number of dips in the sand that I considered could be where I should be detecting.. Can anyone shed some learning into this?

regards George

photo_2019-12-24_10-00-56.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrett AT Pro Detector
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Evolution Extreme Digging Blade
Dunlop Wellies :))

Junior

Re: Where to dig on a beach?

Post by Junior »

Where I detect in norfolk at mundesley...I spend 99% of the time in the soft dry sand... the soft generally extends 15m out then it generally a shallow sand with a very fine shingle beneath which nowt seems to penetrate.... I've tried single freq, p.i, fbs,fbs2 detectors to no real avail in the wet stuff... they say try cuts in the sand never much luck with that either... the beach gets packed on nice days in the summer ....I generally end up with about £30 @ yr from approx ...this yr 33 visits... £29 And a I phone 6 which the ladies woz very pleased to get back...some of the lack of coinage maybe down to people going contactless , the shop on the front here has the said machine as the vendor normally has some banter with me or says about lost items and if I could have a look in the general area of the loss... if u turn your sens down u might be able to get a bit closer to the sea wall... I normally just run my normal muck program on the French stick on the dry stuff... be aware that new coinage is mostly steel based so u might of disced it out check with a air test .... good luck and merry Christmas ::g

fred

Post by fred »

I can see some very tempting gullies further out parallel to the sea wall. I know exactly where I would be! :D Close in doesn't interest me much unless the sand moves. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

yourvibes

Post by yourvibes »

looks like theres far too much sand ! sometimes one side of wave breakers wash out ( depends which way the sea's rolling ) that may give you some idea how far the sand has to go down ( bedrock and mud/clay are the bottom and produce the good finds ).. but, as fred said, try further down where the sand drops away into gullies..... good luck.

Machinist

Post by Machinist »

A big clue in my avatar r;[ r;[ r;[ r;[

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

targets

Post by targets »

i would be digging a massive hole at the bottom of the stairs ,,6 feet deep if possible .then detect it
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

I always go by the "weed line " - ie the high water mark as this is always varying and moving the sand espically after strong winds and rough seas.Think back to the days when the beachcomber was a common site - they always walked the tide line after or during a good storm,I was one of them but as the eyes are not so good now I now rely on the detector.
Last edited by maylandmanta on Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bors

Post by Bors »

Rhyl beach I live not too far from it =)) Ah well, there will always be someone who`ll still have a crack at it I suppose.I know a few old regulars that refuse to give up on it,but those I know that do it never come away with much.
My own thoughts personally, I think its a waste of time apart from the exercise value (as I`d like a £ for every time I`ve had a scan over it in the past but,that aside) It`s had groyne work done on it not too long ago causing the sand to congregate even more and if you look at the groyne in your photo,you can see how much "shifting sand " has been dumped there by the tides because thats what they are there for to make a nice Sandy beach ,rather than a pebbly one. Again I wouldn`t entertain it unless there has been a severe storm and most of that sand has been removed by the storm. On a " good chance day" you can see the Grey "clay" bed beneath the sand will be exposed and even at the far end of Splash Point on the end of the Prom it will show ancient petrified tree remains sticking out of the base clay, but only after a severe storm has hit the beach will you see that.
Rhyl has never been a beach after the late 60`s era went by that has attracted the crowds like it once did.The Town has been run down over the years and the druggies have eventually moved in and roosted there causing visitors to shun the place to a fair degree. You get a reasonable amount of visitors to the beach in summer but Rhyl is no Copacabana and the type of losses might reflect that.
Needless to say you will, of course, find the odd item but ,I wouldn`t take a foot deep finds pouch along. Maybe if you feel lucky , an inch or so deep one . LoL :))
Best of luck if you return to it.
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Goldstar

Post by Goldstar »

I was recommended a book called “Reading Beaches” by Edward Fletcher, “Guide to identifying productive search areas.Makes a good a read and provides useful information.
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

Detectski

Post by Detectski »

Where to dig on a beach?
Where the gold is ::g

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I'm not the king of beach detecting, but where I dig depends on the conditions and what I am expecting to find.

If I'm expecting to find recent losses I look where people tend to sit on my beach. If there has been some storms and the action of the water has scoured out the sand and shingle then I look in the bits where you can see that layers have been removed, on my beach after a good storm then it actually gets down to within a few inches of the hard packed stuff under the loose sand and shingle, that's where I have found older stuff, as it's stuff that was previously out of range of all the other detectorists that have covered this beach over the years. My better finds have been sitting on the hard pack under the loose stuff.

I tend to go for the older stuff in winter and the recent stuff in summer, there are people on my beach all year round but that's what works for me and it means I don't get too bored.

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

Around here as kids in the 60's we used to find all sorts at low tide such as musket balls, lead bullets,WW2 shell cases as well as the modern coins etc but now alas like a lot of places all that has gone as its now under 10ft of sand pumped onto the beaches for sea defences, which was dredged up from the North sea so they are now barren apart from the odd fossil or two and the odd recently dropped coin.

hammy20

Post by hammy20 »

Spend a lot time on the black line midway down the beach in wet sand/gravel ,little to be had in the dry stuff this time of year. Even then it disappears from time to time or moves?

CS4PI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hammy20 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcawood

Post by tcawood »

Anyone know of any good YT vids specifically on where to detect on beaches?
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

fred

Post by fred »

tcawood wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:38 pm
Anyone know of any good YT vids specifically on where to detect on beaches?

Sorry but that it just isn't possible to put it in a video as it is time and place specific. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

hammy20

Post by hammy20 »

Beaches change daily with two tides a day,ever changing? I was out today trying to find a productive spot i located last Wednesday,sand had taken over,just went with gut instinct,got few pounds in coin,earing and a dozen tent pegs + a good day out in the sun. Have been detecting locally around here for a year now,you build up knowledge of were to look? Most of ti just luck :) . Now retired can go when I please not restricted to weekends.Found YouTube movies to be of little use?

JH

CS4PI

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Crown Estate permissive access only covers between average high tide and average low tide so kind of defines it for you. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

hammy20

Post by hammy20 »

Hi, who manages crown estates, you ever seen anyone, I haven't?

JH

CS4PI

Koala

Post by Koala »

looks like any old finds will be a couple of meters deep. So might opt to dig none of the lines and go to a different beach

I shall be cycling past there on Wednesday. Had a storm this morning so things might have changed. I will have a look. But doubt it.

last time a cycle around there they were dumping sand near the Colwyn Bay Watersports centre. and bulldozing the beach just past the foot bridge in Rhyl heading towards Rhos on Sea, Also digging a massive trench to Bury a pipe somewhere near Abergele

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

hammy20 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 pm
Hi, who manages crown estates, you ever seen anyone, I haven't?

JH

CS4PI

I don’t know how many there are now or where they’re based but a few years ago I got put in my place by a Warden who worked for the Heritage peeps.
A lady Warden at that. I was just on my way back to the car and a lady approached me and enquired about detecting. Said she was interested, how difficult was it etc. As I still had detector in hand I said I’d show her. I scanned around a bit, got a dig me signal and was just about to push the spade in when a voice behind me said ‘I hope you’re not intending to dig a hole there’
It was a lady, in uniform, a Warden. I explained I was just showing the other lady how it’s done. ‘Not up here you don't’ says the lady Warden. She explained I was standing on the top of the beach, not allowed and also an SSI area 😳
All this in a little known small cove. You just never know who’s watching.!.
As far as where to dig, it changes every day. Game of chance. Mostly look for depressions in the sand and pebble stretches. The high water line can be productive and also the mid tide line. Mostly just enjoy a couple of hours if the weather is right ::g
Never found anything on that beach. Found out why when I took the dogs one day after a storm. About 4 foot of sand had been washed out revealing WW11 defences that I’d never seen before :-O
Next day I went back with detector and the sand was all back ! That’s how quick it changes.

cammann

Post by cammann »

fred wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:09 am
I can see some very tempting gullies further out parallel to the sea wall. I know exactly where I would be! :D Close in doesn't interest me much unless the sand moves. ::g
Fred, do you mean between the top and 2nd from top red line?
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring and the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

fred

Post by fred »

cammann wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 am
fred wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:09 am
Fred, do you mean between the top and 2nd from top red line?

I would probably do both of the gullies and slow down to a crawl if I found black sand or bedrock.. The one nearest the beach also has a nice bit of washout near the groyne. :D
Equinox 800 x2

cammann

Post by cammann »

If your finds are anything to go by, you know a thing or two about beach detecting so insight like that is really helpful Fred.
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring and the quiet enjoyment of the countryside.

Koala

Post by Koala »

started at the foot bridge at Rhyl and cycled to Rhos on sea.

Some places between Rhyl and old Colwyn have lost about 2 meters of shingle since the last time I cycled that way.

you can see at least 6 foot of the groynes sticking out. Unfortunately they aren't popular beaches these days.

There was a ship at jetty. Apparently of to Sweden when it holds were full of granite

did pass Rhyl itself and old Colwyn look to be a waste of time.

old pier had piles of fresh sand dumped by the council

North of Rhos on sea is having its beach defences improve. The beach will be gone shortly when the boulders get dropped.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”