Interested in any thoughts

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
DieHardDes

Interested in any thoughts

Post by DieHardDes »

Good morning all,
I have come to the conclusion that if you want to detect in places not searched before, you have to be bold, so after scaleing down cliff edges (and falling a few times) to deep coves I had constant strong signals of the highest reading all along the foot of the cliff every few feet, the ground is large pebble on top going down in size to gravel grit where these objects were found, the high tide doesn't reach the cliffs in this area and there is no junk at all there, the largest pebble shows a metal vein inside it and showing through at each end. I have added some pics of the rock layers of the cliff to. I'm interested in any thoughts on this, many thanks

Garrett euro ace
Depth found between 8-12 inches
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ratty

Re: Interested in any thoughts

Post by ratty »

Tin ore possibly, what part of the country did you find them, Cornwall?

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 »

My experience is, you can find these little ‘blobs’ on most beeches. It’s nearly always aluminium. That annoying stuff that gives you a big DIG ME signal.
Drinks cans, barbecues and, of course industrial waste. All rolled around by tides and washed around on the beach like being in a giant tumbler. That’s the end result.
I have one local beach in that’s so badly littered with the stuff it’s almost impossible to detect.

Don’t think that isolated coves are immune they aren’t !

ratty

Post by ratty »

I've found aluminium blobs in some very isolated fields and wondered how they got there, someone suggested it might be from WW2 aircraft .

Bes99

Post by Bes99 »

Is it really worth the risk of detecting under a cliff, in Yorkshire a young girl was killed from a rockfall last year https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-45122808 highlighting the risk of being in these areas and there are clear fresh failure scars in the cliff images you have, so please take care. (Nice images by the way). Personally I would rather detect in other safer areas than risking my life for metal ore or metal blobs, there is still plenty of land not been searched you just have find it; also I would expect that you would find less good finds on a beach that is hard to access than a beach which has better access to the public.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy »

Hi,
I think that if you need to scale cliffs like in your pics to get to the sand below that you are wasting your time as no one will have been there, hence nothing to find.
Unless gold from a wrecked Spanish galleon has washed up there of course.
::g

Tony

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam »

Whilst detecting at these locations, are you detecting alone and what safety precautions and plans for unfortunate events do you have in place.

I have a beach that I detect regularly and am more than aware of some of the dangers there and try to always be prepared. You know the sort of thing ………… mobile phone fully charged, accurate tide table times for the location, latest weather forecast for the location, compass lest rolling fog should disorientate my sense of direction, a decent whistle to attract attention in an emergency, a small sharps box for those nasty hypodermic needles that do turn up on the beach, and leave information at home as to where I will be and what time I intend terminating my detecting.

Take care out there, the beach can be a really dangerous place for the unwary and unprepared.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

DieHardDes

Post by DieHardDes »

Just to expand a little on the original post, it does contain a little tongue and cheek, I never actually scaled the cliffs in the pictures, I did select a route down that I considered doable to search the area but there was nothing at all only these objects loaded all along the foot of the cliffs. There is a history to this area where ships were deliberately lured in for wreckesr to salvage, the logic was if there is any loot, it's likely to be found in areas that are hard to access.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam »

Aaaaah; now that does sound plausible. Any history of WWII defences there; landmines ect?
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

DieHardDes

Post by DieHardDes »

Not to my knowledge, there was a mansion that got used as a military hospital near during ww2, I have pulled a German parachute mine from the sands a few yrs ago, more west from this site, Got it in the shed somewhere.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

Not like this I hope - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_mine
Please calm us down by saying that you have checked that its in a safe condition! Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Sunray

Post by Sunray »

Another kind of mine that you may encounter [which should give you a belter of a signal] ...
is a tin mine there were many throught the south of the country in particullar.

Have fun, stay safe and be lucky ::g

DieHardDes

Post by DieHardDes »

Lol, nothing like that, i dont really get anything checked out just use some common sense, I'm a bit like that, shoot from the hip type!!!! it's not live but thinking about it the parachute and back can is in pretty good condition, the shell is not on it so I'm guessing it didn't go off and detached it's self somehow. If you would like a photo I will dig it out and post it.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan »

I used to teach PE at Hollesley Bay YOI (Borstal) back in the 90's and we owned a strip of beach front that was used for 5 mile jogs. Half way through we would get the trainees to do all sorts of exercises on a WW2 flying bomb that had been deactivated. One morning when I arrived with a group, there was no flying bomb, just a bloody big crater! :-O
It turned out of course that it had NOT been deactivated after all ..
Always get things checked out, treat all ordnance with respect as they are often damaged by having been churned around in the soil for 70 years, Liam b;=+ s;.. ;[
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and decisions we waited too long to make .. Spokesperson Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Junior

Post by Junior »

If u went down the pictured cliff u MUST be nuts.... id get air sea rescue on speed dial :D

DieHardDes

Post by DieHardDes »

No not down the cliff in the pictures, I managed to pick a route down that i considered doable 🤔

maylandmanta

Post by maylandmanta »

Getting down is one thing - Getting back up is another. In those places I would make sure some one knew of the time I intended to return. Also have a good knowledge of tides.It,s Ok to say the tide doesn't reach the cliffs but when higher than expected what's the escape route going to be ? when the headlands are cut off by water, and don't rely on a mobile phone for back up - they don't like cliffs when it comes to signal. I would carry a marine hand held radio and advise the nearest Coastguard centre of my intentions. This might sound a bit "told you so or I'm telling you " however having spent most of my life on beaches or in boats you need to have a lot of respect for the sea - It will win in the end.

gravelmonkey

Post by gravelmonkey »

Without a better photo of the pebble, or knowing where you are in the country, it's hard to say what it is, could be haematite, or well polished cassiterite (tin ore).

Not sure the rocks look the type to host tin ore, but it's not an impossibility.

Metallic blobs look like melted aluminium, they're common on beaches.
All the gear and no idea.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”