ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Holy Carp! A Years Worth of Gold in Just One Outing!

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
fred

Holy Carp! A Years Worth of Gold in Just One Outing!

Post by fred »

When I woke up this morning the weather was looking brighter than the forecast had suggested, unexpected as it is usually the other way around. On the other hand I was dying of Coronavirus (obviously the male version - much worse :D ) so I needed lots of open space to avoid people. As I had breakfast I prevaricated about where to detect. The local beaches have been throwing up money in serious quantities but are getting a bit sparse now as the productive spots have been worked out or buried by shingle. Also there has been very little gold jewellery about. As I still had 3 hours to low tide I eventually decided to go to a holiday beach a bit further away.

When I got there I was spoiled for choice as my first observation point had cut right out but I stuck to my original plan and drove on to an area where I had some rings and other interesting bits prior to the current batch of storms. Needless to say the beaches had moved around a bit since then and although the inshore section was now sanded in I could still see some decent cuts further out.

Over the next hour and a half I knocked out the parking and petrol money plus the usual collection of bullet heads and shrapnel. As I got to the far end of the cut that I was concentrating on I found the small silver St Christopher and almost immediately afterwards the chunky silver ring hallmarked for 1975. As I turned around and detected back towards the car park I meandered around (and in) the pools and areas of pebbles that I had missed on the way out. The small silver belly ring convinced me that it was a good call but I thought that my day was done as the beach is never prolific and 3 bits of silver and £6.50p is much better than usual. Right at the side of a pool a massive 23 signal on the Nox sounded for all the world like a tin can or large piece of ordnance. As I flicked it out from a deep hole I caught a glint of gold but it was such a big lump that I still thought that it must be a can and then ammended that to a mangled bracelet. Further investigation revealed the biggest gold ring that I have ever found. It is 9ct gold hallmarked for 2001 and weighs 83.5 grams, which by my calculation is about £1230 at todays scrap price. Not a bad days work for a walking corpse. ::g

The really odd thing is that every time that I put it on I feel the urge to tarmac a drive! :D
Last edited by fred on Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well worn Equinox 800 x2
Nice (temporarily) shiny new one x1

This topic has 75 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”