How far do things move?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Bids

How far do things move?

Post by Bids » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi everyone
I was just wondering when something is lost at the beach does it stay in that area or is it likely to move a lot? Say a mile up the beach!
I know people say to detect the busier parts of the beach but I'm trying to think out of the box, and maybe detect the less busy parts that other people wouldn't bother with :D

Good idea? Or just over thinking? x;

Danzigman

Re: How far do things move?

Post by Danzigman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm

I think here was a post some months back.. A guy marked 10 coin and dumped them to track movement in situ... I try to se if I can find it.. ::g
Also ocean current and local weather conditions will be big factor..
John
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

Bids

Post by Bids » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Cheers John, that will be great if you can ::g

Fishermansam

Post by Fishermansam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 pm

It's all to do with Longshore drift ... Some things may stay where they were dropped (Perhaps if alot of sand covered it in a short amount of time) and it hasn't emerged since, but most things would have moved ::g

Sam x;

If a robber ever breaks into my house looking for cash, i'll just laugh and look with him

Pastseeker

Post by Pastseeker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 pm

XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

Fishermansam

Post by Fishermansam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longshore_drift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ::g

Sam x;

If a robber ever breaks into my house looking for cash, i'll just laugh and look with him

oliver

Post by oliver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Things tend to move in the direction of the long shore drift, and get sorted out in groups of coins, of the same weight.There are so many things that can effect this one of the hardest things to sus out are the moment of beach finds when you sus this out you will have cracked your beach.Then you go to a new beach and you will have to start all overagain this why beach detecting is so addictive. (:| (:| (:| :D
Oliver
XP DEUS
MINELAB SOV GT with 13 ultimate DD coil
LASER B3
MUCK DIGGER SAND SCOOP
FLOATING SIEVE
PLASTIC SAND SHOVEL
CHEST WADERS
GARRET PROBE
EVOLUTIONS HAND TROWEL
GARRET PROBE WITH SHEATH

Fishermansam

Post by Fishermansam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I tend to look for the patches of coin-sized pebbles. If they got there, then there are probably some coins etc. in with them ::g

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Now then did any body braise 4 old pennies together and stuck them on Blackpool beach?? if so they reappeared next to South peir.... :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

geomorphicmat

Post by geomorphicmat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:39 pm

This is always a difficult question to answer and can depend on both national (east or west coast) and local conditions. The bits of molten aluminium from Weston-Super-Mare pier (3 years ago) have drifted south to Berrow and north to Clevedon - probably due to the high tides in the area. I have been detecting Clevedon beach and have been finding a few small pre-decimal coins (occasionally on the surface) within a small area and can only assume they have been locally dropped rather than from up and down the coast and brought to the surface by wave action on the pebble beach.
The two points are contradictory (and probaby not very helpful), but it does go to show that longshore drift can only explain part of the explanation of the movement of items on the beach.
My final advice is to study the local beach carefully and try to glean as much information / evidence that you can on the action of drift / wave / wind action on the beach. The following website has lots of useful information from an experienced beach detector...
http://www.mdhtalk.org/tips/toms-beach- ... h-tips.htm

Matt
CTX3030
Profind 25

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm

As Tomo says "All beaches are different" I am therefore of the opinion there will be no set pattern.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”