Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Leigh

Re: Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Post by Leigh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks, I have sent an email requesting a more detailed map or the area im interested in.
Have a good one.
Leigh B-)

DetectingDorset
Minelab E-trac
Xpointer
Henry VI groat,
Lizy I Groat x2
Lizy I Threehalfpence,
Edward I Half Groat.
Edward III half Groat.
Edward II Farthing.
William III Shilling.
Silver Dinarius X2
2 Silver love tockens.
114 Roman coins.

roadwarriormax

Post by roadwarriormax » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:43 pm

just dont see the point in having a foreshore permit ??? its free ..so whats the point, in having it in the first place . im guessing its just another way of getting your details, for there database . and the question should be, why do they want my details ?? does,nt anyone else think its strange ,that you have to , have a permit to detect on the beach . but they give them away for free ,and who checks to see if have a permit .i,ve never been asked to produce a permit ,and who funds this permit scheme anyway .sounds daft to me
roman coins=79
roman brooches=12
rings=5
roman mounts=8
denarius=7
silver coins=87
you lucky,lucky :)

whites4900/d pro plus gb/max blackbox version
fisher f75SE+GSXR750 98 + rucksack = happy camper :)

Silverngold

Post by Silverngold » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi, just tried to apply for the permit a few times, but it won't send me an email. I have filled in all boxes and conformation and ticked the box. After I click apply, it says I should receive an email shortly...but nothing. Any ideas? Possibly the time of day?? Any help would be appreciated.

Leigh

Post by Leigh » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Maybe they are on holiday until the new year?
Leigh
DetectingDorset
Minelab E-trac
Xpointer
Henry VI groat,
Lizy I Groat x2
Lizy I Threehalfpence,
Edward I Half Groat.
Edward III half Groat.
Edward II Farthing.
William III Shilling.
Silver Dinarius X2
2 Silver love tockens.
114 Roman coins.

Silverngold

Post by Silverngold » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Leigh wrote:Maybe they are on holiday until the new year?
Leigh
Thanks, yes that is most likely what it will be.

derek1961

Post by derek1961 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi guys and Gals, I applied for the Crown Estate permit online but everytime I pressed to submit nothing appeared to happen, however after about ten attempts it finally said I had successfully applied for the permit, nothing has arrived after 36 hours on my email so I wait with baited dog breath for something to happen derek Earby

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Normally the permit is instantly in your inbox :-/

Dave

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:58 am

i think its Just the hol's. I've Just applied for mine the other day and nothing back yet.
Xp deus

Silverngold

Post by Silverngold » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Same problem here, still nothing.

foweyfeet

Post by foweyfeet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Just applied online and received within minutes....my little lad will be very pleased...thankyou :D

silver-searcher

Post by silver-searcher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm

After trying unsuccesfully a few times to obtain my permit, I emailed and was told the site was giving problems, very nice letter with permit attached.
Hope you all sort out yours!!
Silver-searcher.

cymrojar

Post by cymrojar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for this post, just done it online, and received my permit within minutes. so easy and free ! :)
explorer se
ace 250

SpoilHeap

Post by SpoilHeap » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I Just applied for mine on-line - and got a reply back in less than a minute granting me a 12 month licence. They also sent me a full list of Terms and Conditions of access and conduct etc, which are well worth a read.

If you apply and don't receive a reply - check your spam box, as your email provider may not recognise the address!
Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro
BBS 1000 10 inch coil and a SEF 12x10
Whites 120mm Bullseye Pinpointer
Predator ML headphones
Bags of enthusiasm and a void of experience...

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi - The maps are still there!

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/media/1 ... h_east.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terry

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 am

So the permit only allows detectoring between low and high water... mmm how do we define the high water mark?? This is simple on many beaches bot no so others that are backed by dunes and such like....
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 am

Just like to know how anyone can tell where the mean high and low water marks are? Is there a some sort of secret calculation, or does one just say "blow it" and get detectoring regardless.. ???

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 am

Mean high and low water are shown on OS maps. But dont think many people bother to much.
Mick

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools: Douglas Bader

C-Scope CS1220XD
C-scope cs5mx
Garret Pro pointer
Black Ada SS foot assisted trowel

TQ Tim

Post by TQ Tim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 pm

I emailed Iain Mills over the High and Low water mark thing and the reply was basically that the two lines are established by the Ordnance Survey who work out an average (probably based on some complicated formula). It is the Ordnance Survey that position the H&L limits on a map and the Crown Estate accept those positions without further query. The high mark can quite easliy end up somewhere ridiculous if for example the council has created or removed something. You could end up seeing a high water mark far beyond the possible tidal limit.

Also, just as maps gets revised periodically so do the H&L water marks. So if you compare a 1905 & a modern map the positions may not be the same. Where I live, looking at modern accurate maps there are many oddities, little sand banks designated above HWM so technically not detectable, but in real life the banks have shifted and the tide doesn't recede far enough to expose that area.

Technically, detecting below LWM means you're on the seabed and as there is a conflict between the Treasure Act and the powers given to the Official Receiver of Wrecks ie I think things below LWM can't be classed as Treasure, so make sure it's an eyes only find ;)
Tim
*******Minelab Safari********

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm

So to sum the position up...
Need to take a surveyor with me!!!!
How about linking detectors to GPS and having them switch off when the mean mark is transgressed...just a thought!!!

TQ Tim

Post by TQ Tim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm

oldartefact wrote: How about linking detectors to GPS and having them switch off when the mean mark is transgressed...just a thought!!!
Wouldn't be surprised if it came to that one day!! Powers that be may read this and think 'That's a good idea'.

But, seriously I don't think the probability of getting something requiring the Treasure Act to come off a tourist beach is going to be that high.

Other point is, has anyone ever been asked to produce their CE permit number by someone with the authority to ask??
Tim
*******Minelab Safari********

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 pm

I reminds me of a fireguard i once purchased... it was made of chocolate !!! But it didn't half taste good!!!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:46 pm

that reminds me. Ive been a fisherman for 40 years ,,, all on private waters ... only been asked for my permit twice... that said the cost of not having a permit is a criminal conviction... think that says it all!!!

steunited

Post by steunited » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 am

just downloaded the northwest map and there doesn't seem to be as much crown foreshore for cumbria as there was on the one i downloaded about 3 years ago.
anyone know why that would be?

loopylee

Post by loopylee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 am

Hi, is there an email address where i can contact a person to apply for a permit. I've tried the website on 4 different occasions each using a different email address and so far i've had nothing.
thanks

DOGMAN

Post by DOGMAN » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:05 am

Type metal detecting into the search box on the crown estates homepage, it should give you a link to the permit for completion and downloading. Be aware crown estates can't give you more detailed maps, as they are owned by O.Survey. You also have to clarify which beaches you want to detect on, as some marked as crown estates are not detectable by law being subjected to Natural England and are covered by things like SSSI.
Etrac/10x12 sef coil
" Drinking Rum before 10:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic".

mij

Re: Crown Estate Foreshore Permit here

Post by mij » Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

DOGMAN wrote:Hi jay1973,
Contact Iain Mills at Crown Estates 0207 851 5267 explaining your requirements. He will (as he did me) email you better quality maps so you can see exactly where you can/ can't go. Be aware though, that some of their coastline is marked in a sloppy fashion which has resulted in them marking private beaches as Crown Estates. Regards Dogman
I followed this up (by email) as I intended taking my grand sons detecting.
The the reply I got is attached below. I found that I could go to their website and locate the map for our area. Whilst I can enlargen the map in irfanview (my favourite freebie graphic manipultor) it is only possible to print out a larger map using the print-screen facity.
jim

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email about beach ownership. The Crown Estate owns very few beaches, the foreshore permit covers only the land between mean high and mean low water (i.e. the bit that is covered by the tide twice a day). This lasn is shown in purple on maps on our website:

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coastal ... ting/maps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate that these maps are large scale and may not be as clear as you would like, but in order to make the plans downloadable and of sufficient scale that large areas of the coast can be shown on a single plan, they are the best that can be done at this time. We are looking at our mapping systems and at some time in the future hope to introduce an interactive map to show our ownership and leases in more detail. However, the current economic climate means that this is not progressing as fast as it might.

In the meantime, if you have any concerns about whether an area is owned by The Crown Estate or are unsure as to boundaries, zoom in on our maps and compare them with an online map provider like Bing or Google. It should then be possible to get a reasonably good idea of where the permit applies. If the map is still not clear I would suggest detecting in an area where there is a large length of Crown Estate ownership which can be identified much more easily.

Alternatively, if you purchase an OS map of the area you are interested in, the grid lines shown on our online maps will also be shown on the OS map and we will shortly be adding additional gridlines to make this clearer.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this causes.

Regards

Clare

Clare Tallboys
Portfolio Co-ordinator

16 New Burlington Place, London, W1S 2HX
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7851 5266
http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob.p

Post by Rob.p » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Slightly confused . after getting a printed estate permit
I now look at the map for south west. I see writen on the map no crown estate in cornwal ? Im going on holiday to cornwal in a couple of weeks. fancy a few beach hours detecting. can anyone point me in the direction to see just what beaches i can detect. staying near helston. thank you
Rob.
Minelab Xterra 705
1943 George Half penny.
1953 Silver sixpence

Shilling&Sixpence

Post by Shilling&Sixpence » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:34 am

You need a separate paid for permit to detect Cornish foreshore. It's not Crown Estate but it is Dutchy Estate I believe, which means it's owned by Prince Charles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 am

Shilling&Sixpence wrote:You need a separate paid for permit to detect Cornish foreshore. It's not Crown Estate but it is Dutchy Estate I believe, which means it's owned by Prince Charles.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/nov/ ... h-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May I use a metal detector on Duchy land?
Metal detecting on parts of the Duchy of Cornwall's un-let Cornish foreshore may be permitted subject to a licence agreement granted by the Duchy. Applicants should be members of an organisation which endorses the Code of Practice for Metal Detecting in England and Wales, such as the Federation of Independent Detectorists or the National Council for Metal Detecting. All licence enquiries should be made direct to the Restormel office on 01579 343149. Metal detecting on all other Duchy owned land is not permitted.
Minelab CTX 3030 6" Coil.
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Makro Pro Pointer.
Stainless Steel Digging Tool.
Stainless Steel Sand Scoop.
Minelab Deluxe BackPack.

https://m.youtube.com/user/searchforlosthistory

Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 am

Anubis wrote:
Shilling&Sixpence wrote:You need a separate paid for permit to detect Cornish foreshore. It's not Crown Estate but it is Dutchy Estate I believe, which means it's owned by Prince Charles.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/nov/ ... h-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May I use a metal detector on Duchy land?
Metal detecting on parts of the Duchy of Cornwall's un-let Cornish foreshore may be permitted subject to a licence agreement granted by the Duchy. Applicants should be members of an organisation which endorses the Code of Practice for Metal Detecting in England and Wales, such as the Federation of Independent Detectorists or the National Council for Metal Detecting. All licence enquiries should be made direct to the Restormel office on 01579 343149. Metal detecting on all other Duchy owned land is not permitted.
Thanks for that Anubis ::g

I am going to Cornwall in a couple of weeks and was hoping to detect on a couple of beaches :D

Ace :)
XP DEUS lite 3.2 + 9" coil & WS5 H/phones
Garret Ace 250 + Stock & 22 x 28 DD coil
Garret Pro-Pointer
NCMD member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... -Qw/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A load of determination!

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”