Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Shilling&Sixpence

Re: Crown Estate Foreshore Permit

Post by Shilling&Sixpence » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:27 am

Your welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace

Post by Ace » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Shilling&Sixpence wrote:You need a separate paid for permit to detect Cornish foreshore. It's not Crown Estate but it is Dutchy Estate I believe, which means it's owned by Prince Charles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks S&S ::g

Should have included you in my thanks rl;

I apologise ::g

Ace :)
XP DEUS lite 3.2 + 9" coil & WS5 H/phones
Garret Ace 250 + Stock & 22 x 28 DD coil
Garret Pro-Pointer
NCMD member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... -Qw/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A load of determination!

Rob.p

Post by Rob.p » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:39 pm

thanks for explaining about the royal permit. we should have bookd holiday in devon :D
Minelab Xterra 705
1943 George Half penny.
1953 Silver sixpence

allibert

Post by allibert » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:52 pm

hi guys,i have recently downloaded the crown estate foreshore permit and in a couple of weeks im off to Scotland for a week and im thinking of taking my detector with me.
my question is does the crown estate foreshore permit cover me to also use in Scotland.
thanks in advance as always guys. ::g

Sandscorcher

Post by Sandscorcher » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:35 am

How long should we wait for the email permit before emailing them ?

I registered for one yesterday & just wondered as nothings appeared yet & yes I've been checking my Spam folder.

Cheers,
Sandscorcher.

iDetect

Post by iDetect » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:45 am

Sandscorcher wrote:How long should we wait for the email permit before emailing them ?

I registered for one yesterday & just wondered as nothings appeared yet & yes I've been checking my Spam folder.

Cheers,
Sandscorcher.
Some servers seem to reject the reply, don't ask me why. All I know is I tried it 3 times from a btinternet.com email address and got nothing. I then used a hotmail.com email address and got an instant reply?
Mark in Wigan
"All the gear and no idea"

Equinox 800 - SuperblueS Headset
PI XPointer - Evolution Blade - Evolution Sand Scoop
NCMD Member

Sandscorcher

Post by Sandscorcher » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:43 am

iDetect wrote:
Sandscorcher wrote:How long should we wait for the email permit before emailing them ?

Cheers,
Sandscorcher.
Some servers seem to reject the reply, don't ask me why. All I know is I tried it 3 times from a btinternet.com email address and got nothing. I then used a hotmail.com email address and got an instant reply?
Ahh cheers for that ::g
I've got a hotmail acc, so lets hope I can remember my password.

Cheers, Sandscorcher.

gary-burness

Post by gary-burness » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi i have a permit but looking at north west ie southport /formby its not marked in purple ! so does that mean i have to get a permit for southport,, puzzled. can any one help :-/

Tracker

Post by Tracker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm

This is simply a State information gathering exercise, if enough sign up, they won't be able to ignore the potential cash cow.

lewscope79

Post by lewscope79 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Its a waste of time.All I get for My trouble is to be told My email address is not valid.The one I have have had for about 15 years B|

fisheruk

Post by fisheruk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 pm

gary-burness wrote:Hi i have a permit but looking at north west ie southport /formby its not marked in purple ! so does that mean i have to get a permit for southport,, puzzled. can any one help :-/
Noticed that myself, i thought you was covered as well.
Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 pm

i think theres a problem with the crown site had to renew mine last week, it took 5 attempts over 2 days and still didnt get one in the end i just emailed them and got one in ten mins ::g
Just using the Force Image

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Wed May 06, 2015 8:44 pm

I have tried 4 times and got nothing.
Does anyone have any info on which Scottish shoreline is crown owned?

wildman695

Re: Crown Estate Foreshore Permit here

Post by wildman695 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:19 pm

wulliam wrote:I've just applied for and received a permit...no problems there.

I assume the red areas are those parts of coastline which are NOT covered by the permit?? I don't want to get it the wrong way round and get arrested on my very first outing!

William
Foreshore managed by The Crown Estate
is marked in purple. so only small pockets in most areas. no maps available for Scotland.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 23, 2016 12:39 am

Scotland is totally different to England and Wales: Because there is a general right of access for the public to all beaches and foreshore

Read the information on the http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-a ... -detecting page and the associated documents and links which explains it all.

Evan
Last edited by Saffron on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looseleaf

Post by Looseleaf » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi, I'm going on holiday in West Wales in September and have looked on the Crown Estates website and checked the maps and the whole of the west coast appears to be under their jurisdiction.

I know that some of the beaches are National Trust, so does this mean that you can or can't detect on them - does the Crown Estates take precedent?

It's all as clear as mud!

Ta, LL

JBM

Post by JBM » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:08 am

National Trust sites are a big NO. ;;z Jerry.

Looseleaf

Post by Looseleaf » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks for clarifying Jerry, never mind, there are plenty of others there can I can try

Stevef

Post by Stevef » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Just called the crown estate today and they no longer issue permits, they said you can just go on there foreshore's no problem, so no more permits apparently.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Stevef wrote:Just called the crown estate today and they no longer issue permits, they said you can just go on there foreshore's no problem, so no more permits apparently.
Interesting !

On the Crown Estate Metal Detecting page, and if you click on the apply for a permit link, you get the following message -

"We are currently looking into the metal detecting registration process and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

In the meantime, you may metal detect on Crown Estate foreshore, but must read our terms and conditions here before doing so.

The Crown Estate generally seeks to encourage access over, and responsible use of, the foreshore and as a result Crown Estate consent for non-commercial metal detecting on the foreshore will not incur a charge."

I wonder what the outcome of "looking into the metal detecting registration process " might be?.
Maybe no permit??, Maybe same as before??, Maybe photo ID??. Who knows.

Probably worth checking the page every now and again to see how this develops.

Evan

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:43 am

Anyone with more info on all this please do post it up on here. I suppose they may reason that the only benefit of registering to detect the foreshore is to get people to read the rules, but that certainly does not work for many new MDF members! Lets see what happens, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

geoman

Post by geoman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:44 am

The NCMD negotiated the permit scheme with the CR so i am sure they can provide the answers.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 am

Just seen that on their web site, here is a proper link to the page on the above statement

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave &*(

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks Dave, it will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks for sharing, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:55 pm

The Ferret wrote:Wonder if they are going to start charging for permits :-/
I had the same thought a couple of weeks back :( http://www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk/vi ... 11&t=90408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

The Duchy of Cornwall discussed charging with the NCMD and were guided towards the Crown Estate "free model".
I think both Crown organisations may (hopefully!) have realised that the cost of enforcement of a "paid licence scheme" would far outweigh any income generated. Remember that all the folk registering would have given them good guidance of how many beach detectorists there are.
On a seperate note The Port of London Authority licencing scheme was negotiated directly with the Thames Mudlarks as that is a much more controlled environment and enforceable by the PLA river patrols.
Hope that helps. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

kram

Post by kram » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi ALL i am new to the detector game when i have gone through the links for the crown foreshore
permit i get this------

Metal detecting permit application
We are currently looking into the metal detecting registration process. As such, you are not required to obtain a permit but must read our terms and conditions (see link below) before conducting any metal detecting on Crown Estate foreshore.

i have read the terms and conditions but there is no number for the permit etc etc i kinda gather its OK just to go and do it but i wouldn't mind a bit of advise from you guys just in case
thanks in advance
kram

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 pm

They state they are currently looking into the metal detecting registration process and as such you are not required to obtain a permit.

In the meantime however you are allowed to metal detect on Crown Estate foreshore, but must read their terms and conditions here before doing so.

Cheers
mrix

Marknetic

Post by Marknetic » Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am

The Crown Estate has changed the details on their web page. I have checked other places and i seems now you DO NOT need a permit to detect on any Crown Estate foreshore. In fact, they seem to be actively encouraging it!
The Purple areas on the maps provided by them are places you can detect.
(although have had some trouble getting them to load. Possibly unfinished web page yet with new maps)
Maps seems to be confliced with some landownership issues. If unclear you should probably contact the council or other in that area to be certain. The foreshore rule is what is exposed between mean (average) low and high tides. So probably where the highest seaweed and other things mark/line appears and all the way out to where water still is.... my local area the sea retreats nearly as far as the eye can see clearly. Though probably a fruitless hunt and then sink into the muddy depths...

Dont take his as absolute gospel, im new to he hobby but have been researching permissions best i can. Please find out for yourselves. Hopefully this is helpful.

Direct link to new Crown Estate Foreshore page. -

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon May 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Marknetic wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
The Crown Estate has changed the details on their web page. I have checked other places and i seems now you DO NOT need a permit to detect on any Crown Estate foreshore. In fact, they seem to be actively encouraging it!
The Purple areas on the maps provided by them are places you can detect.
(although have had some trouble getting them to load. Possibly unfinished web page yet with new maps)
Maps seems to be confliced with some landownership issues. If unclear you should probably contact the council or other in that area to be certain. The foreshore rule is what is exposed between mean (average) low and high tides. So probably where the highest seaweed and other things mark/line appears and all the way out to where water still is.... my local area the sea retreats nearly as far as the eye can see clearly. Though probably a fruitless hunt and then sink into the muddy depths...

Dont take his as absolute gospel, im new to he hobby but have been researching permissions best i can. Please find out for yourselves. Hopefully this is helpful.

Direct link to new Crown Estate Foreshore page. -

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural- ... detecting/
As said previously Marknetic is correct that you now do not need a permit, but still must agree to the T&Cs (which are very sensible) - see link above.

I will slightly correct the "The Purple areas on the maps provided by them are places you can detect." sadly its not quite that simple as the purple areas are beaches owned by the Crown Estate, in some cases they are leased out to local authorities or are nature reserves both of which might ban metal detecting, or they might be covered by an SSSI which prevents digging on the beach. This explains the "Maps seems to be conflicted with some landownership issues." so as Mark says, check if unsure.

Evan

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”