Duchy of Cornwall Beach Permits

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Ladyluck

Duchy of Cornwall Beach Permits

Post by Ladyluck » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:48 am

Hello everyone,

As a new member to this forum and new to the hobby, I've been making a lot of enquiries regarding detecting on beaches in Devon & Cornwall. I don't want to be detecting where I shouldn't be.

This morning I phoned the contact number on the Duchy of Cornwall's web site and spoke to a very helpful member of staff. She informed me that there WILL be permits available for detectorists but at the moment it is still with the legal team.

I asked her if it will be this year and she said she certainly thinks so and hopes so! I've been advised to keep checking their website. There are none being issued yet. Application forms should be available to download from their website.

Good news I think.

Rabray

Re: Duchy of Cornwall Beach Permits

Post by Rabray » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 am

Have you tried the Crown estate permit H here's the link ::g

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coastal ... plication/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Garrett AT Pro, Custom Pro mode, Ground Balanced Discrimination set to 35, Iron Audio on, Full Sensitivity.

8.5x11 DD & 5x8 DD Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Evolution Extreme Blade
Roughneck Micro Spade
Viking V5 Detector

Mac ;)

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 am

Crown permit won't give you permission on the duchy's beaches rabray, although you will still need one. It must be over 2 years since this permit thing kicked off, you would have thought it would have been sorted by now.
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro.
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Rabray

Post by Rabray » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:25 am

Kmarsh wrote:Crown permit won't give you permission on the duchy's beaches rabray, although you will still need one. It must be over 2 years since this permit thing kicked off, you would have thought it would have been sorted by now.
Thanks for the information didn't know that Kmarsh ::g Sorry H 8-|
Garrett AT Pro, Custom Pro mode, Ground Balanced Discrimination set to 35, Iron Audio on, Full Sensitivity.

8.5x11 DD & 5x8 DD Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Evolution Extreme Blade
Roughneck Micro Spade
Viking V5 Detector

Mac ;)

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:30 am

Not a problem, be interesting to see how much the permits will be, last we heard they would be around the £60 mark..
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

Rabray

Post by Rabray » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:33 am

Kmarsh wrote:Not a problem, be interesting to see how much the permits will be, last we heard they would be around the £60 mark..
WOW !! £60 being Scottish I thought "Free" was expensive =)) =))

::g

8.5x11 DD & 5x8 DD Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Evolution Extreme Blade
Roughneck Micro Spade
Viking V5 Detector

Mac ;)

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 am

Fortunately, after discussions with the NCMD, the Duchy were "guided" along the free Crown Estate route & method of issue.
After advice that the cost of managing the process wouldn`t be covered by the return received ,hence the £60 figure that was bandied about at the time.

Hopefully the legal eagles will see sense & follow the Crown Estate model. ::g

I`m sure the only representative hobby body will be keeping an eye on the progress. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Kmarsh

Post by Kmarsh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Let's all hope so Jc..
Makro Racer.
Minelab Excalibur.

cottlad

Post by cottlad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Oiks £60 is a lot to add to the cost of my yearly 2 week holiday down there x; Let's hope they see sense

clint

Post by clint » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:49 pm

The cost won't even cover the wages of the people they employ to police it. I think I read somewhere that a holiday permit would be available. Makes you wonder why the Crown foreshore permit is free yet the Duchy beaches, also technically owned by the Crown aren't. Just sounds like a money making exercise against a minority group,do surfers,anglers,bait diggers,dog walkers and other beach users pay anything?

Regards

Clint
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

geoman

Post by geoman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 pm

Our future king has got to be maintained in the style he is accustomed to.

The issue of access to Duchy beaches has been discussed elsewhere on this forum in recent weeks.

Devonboy

Post by Devonboy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for doing the donkey work and sharing the information. ::g
I'll keep my eyes on the website for any further info.

Tony

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi all, doing a forum search on the subject matter, and came across this post - I'm aware it's a few years old now.

I'm going down to Cornwall this summer, so thought it'd good to take the detector. I'll be at Sennen Cove. So I called the number for the Duchy website, spoke a nice lady who advised that I needed to email them at [email protected] stating what I wanted, quoting my membership to NCMD and following the code of conduct etc. I did this earlier and got this reply:

"Dear Andi

Thank you for your enquiry.

Our Metal detecting permit scheme is not yet ready to roll out I’m afraid, as it needs some more work to make it ready, I’m not sure when this will be, but may not be for some time due to other pressing work.

For the time being therefore I’m afraid we’re not in a position to offer permission.

Best wishes

Sharon Bowden"

Interesting how long their permit process is taking to set up. Looks like I won't be detecting this beach this summer :-L
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Read 'If we're not going to make any money out of it then we are not going to do it!' :D
Equinox 800 x2

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

They only need to follow the Crown Estate model .....hardly science of the rocket nature!
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 pm

So £60 permit so in that case will not FIND any thing to hand over to the duchy X(

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Timmy 64 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 pm
So £60 permit so in that case will not FIND any thing to hand over to the duchy X(
No there is no permit. Ergo there is no detecting either. ::g

TheNCMD

Post by TheNCMD » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 pm

The NCMD met with a representative of the Duchy some years ago to discuss the permit proposal. There seemed to be a lot of misconceptions on the part of the Duchy leading to a misunderstanding of what metal detecting was about and in particular beach detecting.

The discussions indicated that the intiative was a financial one and that was the last we heard from them.

The Duchy have a no go policy on any land they own for metal detecting. On the beach and foreshore areas they own they are not able to police all the activities which go on when these areas have public access. They did look at detecting and any finds made as a property capture. Whilst they would find it hard to licence kids digging holes on the beach or dog walkers, detecting was seen as a means to make money by issuing permits and also claiming all finds.

Once the practice of beach detecting was explained and the impracticality of the proposed scheme highlighted there seemed to be a lack of interest in continuing. The fact that it is still mentioned is perhaps to put off any enquirers from actually detecting on beach areas.

Saffron

Re: Duchy of Cornwall Beach Permits - News at last

Post by Saffron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 pm

I think this very significant change might have been missed by most on here

Taken from https://duchyofcornwall.org/frequently- ... uestion_20

May I use a metal detector on Duchy land?

Metal detecting on parts of the Duchy of Cornwall's un-let Cornish foreshore may be permitted subject to a licence agreement granted by the Duchy. Applicants should be members of an organisation which endorses the Code of Practice for Metal Detecting in England and Wales, such as the Federation of Independent Detectorists or the National Council for Metal Detecting. All licence enquiries should be made direct to the Restormel office on 01579 343149. Metal detecting on all other Duchy owned land is not permitted.

Evan

Gra

Post by Gra » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 pm

When you apply they just tell you that there is no licence envisaged in the near future just go on Cornwall council website there's a section which tells you which beach they own where you can detect

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Gra wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 pm
When you apply they just tell you that there is no licence envisaged in the near future just go on Cornwall council website there's a section which tells you which beach they own where you can detect
If that is the case why does the official Duchy website say otherwise ?. :-/

Gra

Post by Gra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 pm

It's a mystery to me applied early this year as I moved down and that's basically was the email reply I received

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Gra wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 pm
It's a mystery to me applied early this year as I moved down and that's basically was the email reply I received
(my bold and underline)

That explains it ::g

Gra, what you said "they just tell you that there is no licence envisaged in the near future" that was the case early this year, and even in the summer there was no licence system.

That is the reason I made my post qouting the Duchy website. This is something that has been rumbling on for years with no progress. However, the change on the Duchy website has only been made in the last few months and had not previously been mentioned, hence my comment "I think this very significant change might have been missed by most on here".

So what you said was the case earlier this year but probably is not the case now by what is stated on the Duchy site.

So maybe we now just phone them and they take our name and details and FID / NCMD number and off we happily go detecting the Duchy beaches, or maybe they say "Yes Sir, thats fine do enjoy your detecting ... once you have paid us the £5/£10/£20/£50/£100 (take your pick) fee"

Anybody called them recently?.

Evan

Gra

Post by Gra » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Evan
You can can be the first to contact them but I fear the worst

geoman

Post by geoman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am

The intent of the Duchy was to make a financial return from the licence process which is why it was droped when discusions were on going with the NCMD some years ago. I understand that once the situation had been explained with respect to metal detecting on beaches and the general finds recovered the idea of it being a money making process was dropped.

That may have been resurrected as Saffron suggests, but what will the cost be for a licence and will it cover all beaches or would you need to specify when and on which ones you would be detecting on.
I believe the fee suggested when it was under discussion years ago was £60 per beach. As with all things to do with the Duchy they have an eye on a financial return for HRH.

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”