Informal beach meet ups?

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
sweepstick47

Re: Informal beach meet ups?

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Saffron wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 am
Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:43 pm
I'm just desperately trying not to picture Evan (Saffron) in a 'mankini'.
x; x; x; x; x; :-O :-O :-O :-O

Ditto. Something I could not imagine, nor would want to, and certainly a sight I would not wish to inflict on fellow detectorists. Also as we are talking beach detecting I would not want to scare the children. Evan
.......................... or the Donkeys! :D ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Saffron wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 am
How interesting that although several people thought that this was a good idea, and not a single person objected to the idea or suggested that it would not work, that over a month on not a single person has followed it up by announcing where and when they were going beach detecting.

Are people that shy, or are they just worried that the other person might find something that they could have found if on their own?

Evan

PS: Before anybody asks the couple of times I have been on the beach since were when coming back from the South West and found the M5 near stationary and I knew it would be worse around Bristol so gave up and headed to WSM for a quick hour, and a visit to the beach after doing something else where I did not know if I would be able to go or not let alone any idea of a time.

As I said earlier in the thread somebody needs to do it......and therein lays the problem..apathy. ;)

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm

king of the swingers wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:06 pm
i think the problem is more why should some one new to the hobby just be able to come on to the forum and demand to come on land that i worked my butt off to get. I started the hard way went on club digs,beach letters, i did the door knocking. Dont get me wrong i would happily take some one on the pemimission if the farmer said this was ok but they just come on and put im bob from leeds take me out . If they joined in the chat a bit went to the beach few club digs showed some pics i would warm to the person more (i always look at there other posts).Also maybe they could offer to drive you to the permission or offer petrol money ::g

I think your a bit off the mark, not sure whos post you have been reading, but I certainly didn't demand to be taken out on someone else's permission, i am new to metal detecting, I came into this hobby at the farmers busiest time so it seems, so I will have no luck right now.
But People don't want to share there permissions, and I don't blame em I guess but on the buddy front I think it's almost a wasted page, I check back every few days but it's absolutely dead! Not a sausage. No comments, no nothing... lots of people asking and no one accepting, that's what I have seen, don't get me wrong I have only looked around my 3 counties but read 100s of posts on here.
I'm waiting for winter and then I'll be checking with farmers by me, I am in the process of joining a club, and also posting pics on here seems to be a nightmare with only being allowed 19mb pics? (Or am I doing something wrong)
On the Beach detecting front, I'd love to be down there every eve, but according to my sat nav I am at least 1 hour 40 mins to the nearest beach, and that's with no roadworks/traffic/pit stops etc.. so by the time I finish work at 5 pm, get home from work, have dinner, see to the dogs, get kit ready and drive to the beach it could be 9pm by the time I arrive... A big shame, we can but try to make the most of our hobby with what we have and who we can try n meet with.
You never know, a newbie in detecting might be able to help you with something else in life. But if you don't ask you don't know. (For instance I am a photographer/videographer and would happily trade a session for a share on permissioned ground)

The rest of this forum has been pretty good, although a bit slow, I find Facebook a lot better for responces (I can't believe I'm saying that as I don't really like Facebook) I closed my account a while before I started metal detecting, but found very little info/sites on the Web in regards to metal detecting, and someone mentioned that Facebook was a good place to start, so I had to open another account, but found there is dozens of groups and pages for it.. A good place to talk with like minded people..

I am up for a beach session though if it is still on the cards... southeast is best for me if anyone that way. ..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 400i, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Home made Sand scoop, aluminium sand scoop
NCMD Registered member

Appointed First Aider - QA level2

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Adam17 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm
i think the problem is more why should some one new to the hobby just be able to come on to the forum and demand to come on land that i worked my butt off to get. I started the hard way went on club digs,beach letters, i did the door knocking. Dont get me wrong i would happily take some one on the pemimission if the farmer said this was ok but they just come on and put im bob from leeds take me out . If they joined in the chat a bit went to the beach few club digs showed some pics i would warm to the person more (i always look at there other posts).Also maybe they could offer to drive you to the permission or offer petrol money ::g

I think your a bit off the mark, not sure whos post you have been reading, but I certainly didn't demand to be taken out on someone else's permission, i am new to metal detecting, I came into this hobby at the farmers busiest time so it seems, so I will have no luck right now.
But People don't want to share there permissions, and I don't blame em I guess but on the buddy front I think it's almost a wasted page, I check back every few days but it's absolutely dead! Not a sausage. No comments, no nothing... lots of people asking and no one accepting, that's what I have seen, don't get me wrong I have only looked around my 3 counties but read 100s of posts on here.
I'm waiting for winter and then I'll be checking with farmers by me, I am in the process of joining a club, and also posting pics on here seems to be a nightmare with only being allowed 19mb pics? (Or am I doing something wrong)
On the Beach detecting front, I'd love to be down there every eve, but according to my sat nav I am at least 1 hour 40 mins to the nearest beach, and that's with no roadworks/traffic/pit stops etc.. so by the time I finish work at 5 pm, get home from work, have dinner, see to the dogs, get kit ready and drive to the beach it could be 9pm by the time I arrive... A big shame, we can but try to make the most of our hobby with what we have and who we can try n meet with.
You never know, a newbie in detecting might be able to help you with something else in life. But if you don't ask you don't know. (For instance I am a photographer/videographer and would happily trade a session for a share on permissioned ground)

The rest of this forum has been pretty good, although a bit slow, I find Facebook a lot better for responces (I can't believe I'm saying that as I don't really like Facebook) I closed my account a while before I started metal detecting, but found very little info/sites on the Web in regards to metal detecting, and someone mentioned that Facebook was a good place to start, so I had to open another account, but found there is dozens of groups and pages for it.. A good place to talk with like minded people..

I am up for a beach session though if it is still on the cards... southeast is best for me if anyone that way. ..
Try joining your local club that will get you going . Also look out for farmers that have sheep as they will have lots of short grass this time of year.
Once you have a permission under your belt more will follow.

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm
Adam17 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Try joining your local club that will get you going . Also look out for farmers that have sheep as they will have lots of short grass this time of year.
Once you have a permission under your belt more will follow.
I'm in the process of join a club at the moment, can't wait.
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

On the subject of a beech meet up.

I am going to a beach tomorrow. Either south end or Clacton, anyone want to meet me? I will check forum again this eve for answers, can then discuss which one...
Ps ill be heading down early, 7am ish
Will also be asking the club I'm joining if anyone wants to meet me there..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 am

Hi all. As i mostly do beaches i can understand some of the reasons for not many replies, these are some. what beach to go too ( its sometimes last moment choice) , the tides , the weather, also the time of the year, most beach hunters dont plan that far ahead sometimes no more than 2 days, so getting a group together is hard going and its now full summer ( apart from the weather ). Its much easier planning a farm search ( if the farmer allows it ). Many beach hunters are loners as i have tried a few times to meet up with other detector users but it did not happen. These are just my thoughts on the subject i expect there are others. Cheers all. beachboy 70 ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Adam17 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

I am going to a beach tomorrow. Either south end or Clacton, anyone want to meet me? I will check forum again this eve for answers, can then discuss which one...
Well done on taking the initative and posting that you indended going.
Shame nobody seems to have taken up the idea to meet.
Sadly both miles too far me (3 - 3 1/2 drive).

Let us know if anybody did turn up on the off chance and how you got on.

Evan

BowRoadBoy

Post by BowRoadBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Adam17 wrote:

Hi Adam,

I'm another newbie but would welcome the company sometime if you're heading to coast. Agree, it's actually quite a challenge when you're starting this hobby. Completely understand why people don't want to share permissions but does make it that much harder to learn the ropes. I'm sure clubs are a good idea (I've yet to find one near me either in London or Norfolk but will keep trying!) but am also giving the forum rally up in Norfolk a go. Figure I can then put some faces to names and hopefully pick up some tips in exchange for a beer or two -=+:-P
PM when you're next thinking of heading out and, if I can free up the time, happy to join you.

Paul

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:23 am

Saffron wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm
Adam17 wrote:

Well done on taking the initative and posting that you indended going.
Shame nobody seems to have taken up the idea to meet.
Sadly both miles too far me (3 - 3 1/2 drive).

Let us know if anybody did turn up on the off chance and how you got on.

Evan
Hi saffron,

Nope, no one turned up, it's ok though, I cleaned the beach, and it cost me haha, £4.50 car parking, plus 200miles odd in fuel, haha.
Found £2 odd, and enjoyed learning my machine a bit more though.
Perhaps next time..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi all.

I am planning on going out to the beach on the 30th September - Saturday after tomorrow.

Who is interested in coming along, I am thinking on Clacton this time as south end was a nightmare with the stones... and all the rubbish...

If anyone is interested please let me know.
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 am

Too far for me old son, but a bit of company on the beach is always good and also improves personal security.

Chris :)
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm

I am planning to go to the beach on the 28/10/17, Clacton if anyone interested in joining me?
PM me.
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Bingle wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:15 pm
Hello. I have only recently bought a detector and joined your forum. I am near Exeter so can access local beaches fairly easily. However, due to various and unforseen commitments, I may not be able to start enjoying the hobby until the New Year. I understand (at least I think I do) some of the problems re the "buddies" scenario.
Cons:
Meeting Strangers at a perhaps unfamilier spot.
The best way to meet others is through a club, but some of these choose to limit their membership in a slightly stricter way than I would like.
Planning the meet. It may be difficult to agree a mutually convenient date.
If one does live near the coast, then a spur of the moment decision probably won't match others.
Pros:
Companionship, safety and security against others, especially officialdom.
Chance to compare styles of detecting and detectors.
Social aspect; pint of beer and a natter (putting the world to right!) at a hostelry on the way home.
In conclusion, it may be that beach detecting is for the loner? No ties, no times to adhere to and the exclusive instant change of mind to go round into the next bay"
Mind you, it would be nice to share a pint or two (I almost said "three"!) on the way home.
Best Wishes, y'all. Ian
Some interesting pojnts there Ian.

Not sure about the suggestion that beach detecting is for 'loners' though. There are many perfectly sociable people who are interested in metal detecting but want to treat it simply as a casual hobby and are not as committed, and never will be, as the many detectorists with 30-40 years' experience.

Many people also aren't perhaps sufficiently self-confident (or committed to the hobby) to approach farmers, etc. for inland permissions and joining a club, as you suggest, means further obligations which you might not want / be able to satisfy.

The thrill of finding an artefact on a beach, however mundane, and working out / researching its provenance is just as satisfying as any other find. Depends whether you're a 'treasure hunter' or your interest is more in history, archaeology and research.

Phil
Rutus Alter 71
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior
Garrett Pro Pointer

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Off topic but the reason most clubs limit their memberships is evidenced well by this thread.....very few willing to "do". ;)

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:53 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:26 pm
Off topic but the reason most clubs limit their memberships is evidenced well by this thread.....very few willing to "do". ;)
Think that the problem is that when one does "do" ... there is a general lack of thanks, complaints and grumbling... they dont realise that the do'ers are doing it for them ... so eventually, one by one, the do'ers give up...

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 pm

Back onto the note of an informal beach meet up is anyone interested for this Friday 27th if no one interested in Saturday?
Let me know to arrange a meeting place..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi, all being well I'm off to frinton tomorrow with partner and dog. Training the mrs with her new 400i. x; Should be there about mid onwards.
neil
Whites IDX
Garrett 400i
XPointer

Adam17

Post by Adam17 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:59 pm

stillair1 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 pm
Hi, all being well I'm off to frinton tomorrow with partner and dog. Training the mrs with her new 400i. x; Should be there about mid onwards.
neil
bummer I missed that, how did you get on with the 400i on the beach, mine didn't work so great in the wet and was noisy on the dry...

look forward to hearing from you.

maybe next time we can all meet up..
Warm regards

AllDetecting Adam17

NCMD Registered member

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 am

Hi 400i is still work in progress, frinton was a bit busy I'm trying a custom setting, notching out anything below 70 and using iron audio. Tried Thorpe bay last sunday, plenty of junk there ring pulls lumps of ali .
Whites IDX
Garrett 400i
XPointer

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”