East Anglia beach detecting

Please only post topics related to beach or water metal detecting here.
Wessexlad

East Anglia beach detecting

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Until I get any permissions (or meet up with someone who does) my only option seems to be to try beach detecting. I believe that a Crown Estate permit is no longer required, but can anyone recommend any beaches in East Anglia where there are no restrictions. I'm looking at Aldeburgh and Southwold since they're not too much of a trek from Cambridge, anyone able to advise?

A bad workman always blames his fools. Sorry, tools. Stupid keyboard.

Junior

Re: East Anglia beach detecting

Post by Junior » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Give the muck a try with central Serchers. Under rallies. Usually camb/ northants. I've only done Yarmouth and around north Norfolk coast so not much help. Would rather do the muck

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks, I'll give them a shot. I read somewhere today that the North Norfolk coast is administered by Natural England and they fon't allow detecting, is this not true? I'd like to try around Hunstanton and Brancaster because they're the nearest beaches to me.

gingerjar1

Post by gingerjar1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

You can do North and South Beach (Heacham), also Hunstanton .... drop an E-mail to Kings Lynn Council asking where you can go .... They will give you a better idea.... Plenty of parking but you have to pay,, The parking at North and South beach are free but only for a couple of weeks in the winter. Then you have to pay... They are not huge and get busy in the summer, also check tide times...Hunstanton does have plenty of eating places Heacham did have a beach cafe, but do not know if it is open in the winter..... A couple of beaches in that area were used for firing ranges
Also mail North Norfolk District council. they will tell you which beaches they cover,,, Wells next the sea and Holkham are a big no- no as they are private .. not to sure about Brancaster but that could also be...

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Cheers, I'll try emailing them. Heacham is slightly nearer to me, only about a 90 minute drive. Could be a good place to start.

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:16 pm

From memory hunstantion we went once. Ull have to sell a organ to park there near the funfare .. >:P

mikerturner

Post by mikerturner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I live just off Heacham North Beach and detect over it regularly. The car parks at both North and South beaches are free for the next couple of months. Just be VERY careful of the tides or you may get cut off by the water coming in behind you - it happens to a lot of people (usually visitors) who have to be rescued by the Hunny lifeboat crew. South Beach in particular will throw up a lot of 50 cal bullets from the ranges but both should give you modern coins and, perhaps, modern jewellery as well as plenty of rubbish. The "dunes" at the back of the beaches will give you druggie needles and nitrous oxide bottles (so not too healthy!). Do not try to drive along the sandy "beach road" between the beaches - unless you have a chunky 4x4 - it is only a five minute drive around the proper roads and will save a call-out from the RAC! It is not Crown Estate land but I have never been challenged (although bait-diggers and cockle-collectors certainly have). Just make sure you fill in your holes and pick up any rubbish, you should have no problems. Good luck.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:03 pm

mikerturner wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm
The "dunes" at the back of the beaches will give you druggie needles and nitrous oxide bottles (so not too healthy!)
I've never done any beach detecting myself, but you make it sound so appealing! :D

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:13 pm

mikerturner wrote:
I live just off Heacham North Beach and detect over it regularly. The car parks at both North and South beaches are free for the next couple of months. Just be VERY careful of the tides or you may get cut off by the water coming in behind you - it happens to a lot of people (usually visitors) who have to be rescued by the Hunny lifeboat crew. South Beach in particular will throw up a lot of 50 cal bullets from the ranges but both should give you modern coins and, perhaps, modern jewellery as well as plenty of rubbish. The "dunes" at the back of the beaches will give you druggie needles and nitrous oxide bottles (so not too healthy!). Do not try to drive along the sandy "beach road" between the beaches - unless you have a chunky 4x4 - it is only a five minute drive around the proper roads and will save a call-out from the RAC! It is not Crown Estate land but I have never been challenged (although bait-diggers and cockle-collectors certainly have). Just make sure you fill in your holes and pick up any rubbish, you should have no problems. Good luck.
Thay's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear, thank you so much. Whathave been your better finds there?

mikerturner

Post by mikerturner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Best finds!! Um, err! Not a lot really. Probably a couple of hundred pounds worth of modernish coins over the last 5 or 6 years - most of the current ones are in various stages of decay and require an argument at the bank - they have to take manky coins if they are "reasonably" recognisable as coins. Older ones are generally mid 20c (wartime) or later but I've had a few Viccies and I'm told that Roman stuff may drift down from the Roman station on Hunstanton cliffs - but I've never found any. I've had quite a few rings, bracelets and brooches (which I take to the police and collect them a month later when they haven't been claimed) and an awful lot of single earrings! I get lots of dog's name-tags and I once found a metal cremation certificate that came from a burial at sea. Apart from that, just bits of outboard engines, fishing weights and hooks and assorted tut.
If you want some lovely fresh air give it a go but, as was said earlier, if you want old and interesting finds you'd probably be better off going on a Central Searchers' dig - every week around your area.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks. Me and the boy are just doing it for the fun and the chance to get out somewhere (and tear him away from his devices!). He was thrilled with the junk we got from the garden so finding anything would make him happy. Of course, he wants to find treasure but I've made him aware of the chances of that.

gingerjar1

Post by gingerjar1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:05 pm

essexlad..... you do it for fun, that is the the reason why we detect.... that and stiff shoulders.....
I just love coming home tired and aching ,,,,The coast is beautiful I hope you all have a good day out
:ml

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 am

40 visits to mundesley this yr £43. No rings. 80x 30mile car ride...plus dieseĺ.....season car park I think £40. ....had dues/ Garrett seahunter pi/ 3030 at it. .... done the cuts /the wet /the dry. Been going there for 9 yrs. 1x 9ct kids ring. :(( Must b mad but it something to do whilst Mrs swims. ::g rl;

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi,
I've detected Aldeburgh beach several times. I was up there just before xmas for a long weekend. The only finds were a 50p, a fifty cal cartridge case and one of those large fishing weights left behind from the fishing match the previous day. I was somewhat hampered by the pebbles being frozen together early one morning it was so cold. My best previous effort there yielded just under £20 during a weeks autumn break a couple of years ago.
As alluded to above, the view at dawn over the sea is worth it alone.
Neil
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
XPointer

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am

stillair1 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm
Hi,
I've detected Aldeburgh beach several times. I was up there just before xmas for a long weekend. The only finds were a 50p, a fifty cal cartridge case and one of those large fishing weights left behind from the fishing match the previous day. I was somewhat hampered by the pebbles being frozen together early one morning it was so cold. My best previous effort there yielded just under £20 during a weeks autumn break a couple of years ago.
As alluded to above, the view at dawn over the sea is worth it alone.
Neil
It could be worse. I fished an entire winter on there for cod, and spent a ridiculous amount of money on fuel and bait for a load of tiny whiting and just two cod of takeable size.

I have thought about giving it a go with the detector, if only to give the hound a bit of a change of scenery, but the more I read about beach detecting, the less it appeals :(

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 am

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am
It could be worse. I fished an entire winter on there for cod, and spent a ridiculous amount of money on fuel and bait for a load of tiny whiting and just two cod of takeable size.

I have thought about giving it a go with the detector, if only to give the hound a bit of a change of scenery, but the more I read about beach detecting, the less it appeals :(
Haha, been there done that. Best success at Aldeburgh was a bass that just scraped past as big enough. Most expensive dinner I've had though on a previous trip there, I sat opposite the most snaggy part of the Suffolk coast & hauled in enough end tackle to never have to buy another breakaway or lead lifter in my life !
Seems most hobbies aren't financial investments:
Astronomy = £2000, return = £0 but some nice views into the Cosmos
Fossiling = €1000+, return = swapped an ammonite for a trilobite but great fun & good for the brain
Fishing = £2000, return = 1 bass, some dabs & doggies, couple of eels but had some epic days out
MD = €300 (so far), return = nails & hinges :))

Keef

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

The tide comes right in up to the sea wall at Southwold irrc. At Aldeburgh the tide usually only makes it part way up unless its a storm surge.
Metal detecting comes in pretty cheap as a hobby imo compared to some. ::g
Whites IDX, DFX
Garrett 400i
XPointer

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 pm

neil b wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:53 pm
a friend of mine tells me he did some detecting near Bawdsey and found strange looking brass plungers,turned out these were the striker buttons from the top of detonated landmines -hed unknowingly spent the day detecting a beach that had been peppered with mines back in the day- iv only just took up the hobby after getting his old machine, once iv got it sorted and out in the hobby i will defo be avoiding Bawdsey !
C'mon, hobbies are supposed to include an element of risk! :D

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:06 pm

mikerturner wrote:
I took the boy to North Beach at Heacham today. Would have been quite pleasant if the wind wasn't so cold. Otherwise quite a nice day. However, as for finding things it was a total washout. The beach near the car park is plagued by these rocks which are black, heavy and ferrous. Even with discrimination on maximum it was still finding them. Just about every signal was one of these, other than a couple of lumps of scrap iron. I had more luck in the car park where I found a couple of coins on the surface. Plenty of other signals there too but I didn't feel it was right to dig there. They're probably mostly rubbish though, saw a lot of foil and bottle caps on the surface. Nice to get out but not a great day's detecting.

mikerturner

Post by mikerturner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Well I'm pleased you had a decent day weather-wise (apart from the chilly wind! - which is not unusual here) but sorry about your lack of finds. I don't know what machine you use but I have found that my usual Deus (even on beach settings) is practically useless and I revert to the trusty SE PRO for the beach. I occasionally find a few "hot rocks" (but only a few and I recognise the signal now) but rarely dig up iron - though there certainly is a lot of it around. I am a bit surprised you didn't find any modern coins - perhaps the sand needs a bit of a stir up by a storm or two.
Good luck next time.

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm

No need to be sorry, it was worth a shot and it was still a good day out. I'm still new to this so it was good practice. I even had the classic "Found any gold?" from a passer-by, straight out of Detectorists. I felt obliged to reply with "Fingers crossed". :))

Funny thing though, I checked the tides before deciding where to go, I assumed they'd be much the same anywhere around the East Anglian coast. How wrong I was. High tide at Heacham was 0716, low tide 1414. My other target was Aldeburgh, high tide there was 1208. low was 1746. Massive difference.

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

This shows you exactly the Crown Estate Foreshore in purple were you can detect if you haven't already seen it??
https://crownestate.maps.arcgis.com/app ... a5aa1660db
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro Pin pointer and being in the right place at the right time ::g

Wessexlad

Post by Wessexlad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm

I'd be wary of trusting that map, probably best to check thoroughly first. According to that the beaches at Holkham and Wells are Crown Estate but you certainly can't detect there, they're administered by the Holkham Estate. Similarly, the beaches at Heacham and Hunstanton aren't purple but detecting is allowed there. Best to check with the local councils really.

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

That's rather odd, who are you supposed to believe if you can't believe the Crown Estate's own web site, very misleading?? Also I wounder how one would stand if you got pulled for detecting on the shore line marked on the Crown Estate map???
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro Pin pointer and being in the right place at the right time ::g

Return to “Beach - Rivers - Water”