Roman silver. Carausius AR denarius, London

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
f8met

Re: Roman silver. Carausius AR denarius, London

Post by f8met » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Chinese coins were made with holes in so as an argument it would not be apple for apples. Also it would be hard to prove coins on a pin were made in Roman times to keep coins for safe keeping unless found in context. A single hole would still be sufficient to put it on a necklace.

The article on the PAS site for pierced coins is quite wooly and it implies that it is the discretion of the BM whether they should be considered as treasure.

Just curious as to why the coroner, who would not have an expert knowledge of items, would deem it to go against expert knowledge from the BM?

Dave

Deus, 9" black coil + Elliptical hf

2018 19 Hammered

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 pm

"That said, when I get it back it will be offered to BM first."

I'm interested in that one Jungle, if it's for sale? ::g

Cheers

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm

f8met wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm
Chinese coins were made with holes in so as an argument it would not be apple for apples. Also it would be hard to prove coins on a pin were made in Roman times to keep coins for safe keeping unless found in context. A single hole would still be sufficient to put it on a necklace.

The article on the PAS site for pierced coins is quite wooly and it implies that it is the discretion of the BM whether they should be considered as treasure.

Just curious as to why the coroner, who would not have an expert knowledge of items, would deem it to go against expert knowledge from the BM?
Thanks for your input.

Re: Chinese, although it proves holes can be used to keep coins together.
And it would be difficult to prove if a hole in a coin was made more than 300 years ago unless found in context.
The BM argument was that pierced coins have been found in Saxon graves . This was found in topsoil.

The woolly guidance does not help finders/landowners.

I would say a independent, non expert is ideally suited to apply the law.

There is certainly inconsistency in claiming pierced coins but if its the coins rarity that determines whether its claimed, then I would expect "single coins" to come in to play.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Return to “Identification of Finds”