Significance of red clay/brick?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
HolzHammer

Significance of red clay/brick?

Post by HolzHammer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 pm

After only a brace of years in the field I'm still not sure how significant obvious amounts of clay/brick shards and pieces are in an area of plough or rolled field; sometimes i find a roman or two and assorted objects but often and usually when I get quite excited about the sight of red clay I find absolutely nothing....
Anyway, is this type of clay/brick segment something to get excited about?
Any pointers to significance of clay/brick most gratefully accepted!
All the B
Alexander (wishing to further knowledge!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rhumours

Re: Significance of red clay/brick?

Post by Rhumours » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm

This isn't from a archeology/detectorist point of view I'll make that clear but a farming one.

Field entrances take a bit of a beating. Vehicles in and out pause there and damage the soil density. Puddles gather and this helps erode that area further. Animals will gather there too further knackering that area. So farmers ... here they call it various things ... shill is one of them ... and dump piles of it at the gateway. Then they crush it in. It's whatever is to hand. Here it's slate of various dimensions and a bit of red brick thrown in. I've not been down to the farm quarry to actually see where the red brick stuff comes from but once a year I see the loader going past from the quarry filling in some gateway or other.

The brick used to be called London soft reds when i was a kid and I've found them in all the gateways and on beaches all around here. So it may be a building somewhere has fallen in and they've grabbed the rubble for that purpose. Or its stuck to wheels from gateway entrances. Is the simplest answer.

Or obviously the remains of brick from a house within your permission. The real question is the age of it in your picture and how much are you finding. And also that doesn't look the right shade for London soft reds and they don't have that darker banding.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

HolzHammer

Re: Significance of red clay/brick?

Post by HolzHammer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Rhumours wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm
This isn't from a archeology/detectorist point of view I'll make that clear but a farming one.

Field entrances take a bit of a beating. Vehicles in and out pause there and damage the soil density. Puddles gather and this helps erode that area further. Animals will gather there too further knackering that area. So farmers ... here they call it various things ... shill is one of them ... and dump piles of it at the gateway. Then they crush it in. It's whatever is to hand. Here it's slate of various dimensions and a bit of red brick thrown in. I've not been down to the farm quarry to actually see where the red brick stuff comes from but once a year I see the loader going past from the quarry filling in some gateway or other.

The brick used to be called London soft reds when i was a kid and I've found them in all the gateways and on beaches all around here. So it may be a building somewhere has fallen in and they've grabbed the rubble for that purpose. Or its stuck to wheels from gateway entrances. Is the simplest answer.

Or obviously the remains of brick from a house within your permission. The real question is the age of it in your picture and how much are you finding. And also that doesn't look the right shade for London soft reds and they don't have that darker banding.
Thanks Rhumours,
Good knowledge and very helpful - thank you
Al the B
A

Return to “Identification of Finds”