Quick help needed.

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Post Reply
User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Quick help needed.

Post by Me and my boy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I’m off out in half an hours to try and find a ladies platinum wedding ring lost on a gravel driveway( possibly)
It will register on deus lite without too much discriminatation?
Hoping I can find it for her.
Any pointers welcome please.
I assume it will sound good like any ring!? Ie high pitched.


2018 hammies. = 123 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6914
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 883 times
Been thanked: 3170 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by fred » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Sorry but platinum gives a rubbish response on most detectors. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Me and my boy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Cheers Fred. Would you say more iron tone or just wont pick it up?
2018 hammies. = 123 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7782
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 869 times
Been thanked: 1521 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

As you're probably actively searching for it by now not much to offer in the way of advice but as the ring is hopefully lying on the surface, use of minimum discrimination should prove to be the way to go. Best of luck to you and the lady waiting ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

brianc
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:01 pm
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by brianc » Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I would go all metal with no discrimiation in the first instance and see what turns up.

Does the lady know roughly where the ring may have been lost and how long ago?

As mentioned, a surface find is highly likely if it is very recent.

I guess that as it is a gravel driveway then you may need to expand your search to the complete area as cars and foot travel may have moved things around.

Gravel is most likely to have been placed on a hard surface - so it may be on asphalt or a manmade covering so the gravel may only be a few inches deep.

Good luck - and very kind of you to help out and we look forward to hearing how you get on.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Me and my boy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Just got back and it’s two rings!!! Not one.
Engagement and wedding both platimum. On a leather lace. Lost yesterday.
The gravel is spilt 8mm and fairly compacted so I thought I would have heard two together.
I’m going to try her house on the weekend as this was at her gardening customers house.
I even emptied two garden waste bins just incase.
She pulled her jumper off and thought that’s when she would have lost them.
She’s tried where she went after and no joy.
I hope I can find them for her this weekend.
Not worried on settings now I know there’s two as that’s bound to sound good.
Thanks for the advice so far.
2018 hammies. = 123 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6914
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 883 times
Been thanked: 3170 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by fred » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm
Just got back and it’s two rings!!! Not one.
Engagement and wedding both platimum. On a leather lace. Lost yesterday.
The gravel is spilt 8mm and fairly compacted so I thought I would have heard two together.
I’m going to try her house on the weekend as this was at her gardening customers house.
I even emptied two garden waste bins just incase.
She pulled her jumper off and thought that’s when she would have lost them.
She’s tried where she went after and no joy.
I hope I can find them for her this weekend.
Not worried on settings now I know there’s two as that’s bound to sound good.
Thanks for the advice so far.
Give me a call if you want a hand. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 5929
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 2476 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 pm

If you can get a HF coil and get up to 72khz you’ll have a better chance of finding it ::g

Please keep us posted on how you get on.
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 4 so far in 2018 h;@

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Me and my boy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

fred wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm
Me and my boy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm
Just got back and it’s two rings!!! Not one.
Engagement and wedding both platimum. On a leather lace. Lost yesterday.
The gravel is spilt 8mm and fairly compacted so I thought I would have heard two together.
I’m going to try her house on the weekend as this was at her gardening customers house.
I even emptied two garden waste bins just incase.
She pulled her jumper off and thought that’s when she would have lost them.
She’s tried where she went after and no joy.
I hope I can find them for her this weekend.
Not worried on settings now I know there’s two as that’s bound to sound good.
Thanks for the advice so far.
Give me a call if you want a hand. ::g
Cheers Fred.
2018 hammies. = 123 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 450 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Me and my boy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Just got a message from the lady, she found then tangled in her running top label at her house.
Well chuffed for her.
And again thanks Fred for the offer.
By the way she has a 2 acre paddock in a local village to us with a footpath and supposed lost underground passage to the church.
She offered me to try it in the past but I’ve never done it or has anyone else that she knows.
You are welcome to come and try it with me if you like
2018 hammies. = 123 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7782
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 869 times
Been thanked: 1521 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm

An excellent outcome howsoever achieved ::g That's also a very generous offer you've made ::g
Good Luck if you make the joint search of the 2 acre paddock - don't fall into the underground tunnel to the church - visions of scoundrels and customs men come to mind (or dodgy clergy) :-O
All the best - Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

User avatar
fred
Posts: 6914
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 883 times
Been thanked: 3170 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by fred » Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 am

Me and my boy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 pm
Just got a message from the lady, she found then tangled in her running top label at her house.
Well chuffed for her.
And again thanks Fred for the offer.
By the way she has a 2 acre paddock in a local village to us with a footpath and supposed lost underground passage to the church.
She offered me to try it in the past but I’ve never done it or has anyone else that she knows.
You are welcome to come and try it with me if you like
That sounds just like the opportunity we've been looking for. I'll pm you. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Macroman
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Quick help needed.

Post by Macroman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 am

Great results..glad t hear all's now well...good hunting.. ::g

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds”