Identifying your hammy!

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Identifying your hammy!

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 pm

http://www.bajr.org/BAJRGuides/37.%20Co ... oins_I.pdf
Its all so easy to post up an ID request for your beloved hammy and within 5 secs allectus will arrive with a precise ID ::g ::g Perhaps 6 secs in thick fog ..
But its often pointed out that a good half of the enjoyment of recovering a nice hammy is to research it and discover its origin all by yourself ::g
The link above is regularly posted up, its a guide for FLO's as well as others and as I am totally useless at coins, ok on artefacts, I have been tinkering with using it.
Has anyone on here had any luck with using the Guide? It seems really well laid out and almost designed for us?
Liam :;@

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

HolzHammer

Re: Identifying your hammy!

Post by HolzHammer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:51 pm
http://www.bajr.org/BAJRGuides/37.%20Co ... oins_I.pdf
Its all so easy to post up an ID request for your beloved hammy and within 5 secs allectus will arrive with a precise ID ::g ::g Perhaps 6 secs in thick fog ..
But its often pointed out that a good half of the enjoyment of recovering a nice hammy is to research it and discover its origin all by yourself ::g
The link above is regularly posted up, its a guide for FLO's as well as others and as I am totally useless at coins, ok on artefacts, I have been tinkering with using it.
Has anyone on here had any luck with using the Guide? It seems really well laid out and almost designed for us?
Liam :;@
Nice one liamnolan; I haven’t come across that one but looks good.
I find this very useful and user friendly too

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All the B
Alexander

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Alexander, thanks for the reply, I have deleted your site as the purpose of my topic is to find out if the other site is working ok for us. It will get complicated if we have other sites included, cheers, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS Vice President European Council for Metal Detecting

PeakDetectorist

Post by PeakDetectorist » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 pm

That's brilliant, thanks Liam. I just need to find some coins that require identification now!
XP Deus with various coils

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:21 pm

PeakDetectorist wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:17 pm
That's brilliant, thanks Liam. I just need to find some coins that require identification now!
I’m with him u;@ =)) When I next get out and find that hoard that I’m sure is around here somewhere with my name on it, I’ll report back how good it is.

Being serious, thanks Liam ::g
XP Deus !!£$

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:33 pm

I am the worlds worst collector. I have boxes and jars full of coins, for me its the finding thats the thrill. So I am grabbing a few random hammies that are not very worn and then looking at trying to understand the legend, the medieval letters can be very confusing and the site helps me separate the letters and what they mean. Its a slow process but each time makes it a bit easier.
The Spinks Guide is essential of course if you wish to pursue an exact match. Liam OooO

Saki

Post by Saki » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks for that Liam. Brilliant resource ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 pm

That's a very good guide with nice, clear pics.....interesting! ::g

Cheers ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks Liam

That's a great guide, just had a quick look through, and already learnt bifoiliate from trifoliate for crowns

Great info and easy to follow

Kind regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 pm

i'll refer back to this link in another 7 years when i find my second hammy,cd :D
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 pm

We often expect FLO's to be able to identify coins when presented at club meetings or at a museum. But they rely very heavily on advice and knowledge from detectorists who may have been digging up the coins before the FLO was born. :-O The Guide is their handrail to identifying coins and so it should also work for us.
Its SO VERY rewarding to be able to do a good ID and not have to rely on the magic of allectus.
We often criticise those who post up coins for ID with poor quality pics. When you start to work towards an ID for yourself, you then realise how important it is to see the detail!!
Liam

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 pm
We often expect FLO's to be able to identify coins when presented at club meetings or at a museum. But they rely very heavily on advice and knowledge from detectorists who may have been digging up the coins before the FLO was born. :-O The Guide is their handrail to identifying coins and so it should also work for us.
Its SO VERY rewarding to be able to do a good ID and not have to rely on the magic of allectus.
We often criticise those who post up coins for ID with poor quality pics. When you start to work towards an ID for yourself, you then realise how important it is to see the detail!!
Liam
You're spot-on there Liam. A clear, non blurry pic is an absolute must for some types/classes of coins.

The difference between the numerous class 10(for example) pennies of Edward I/II are really subtle indeed, with only very slight variations to the crown. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 am

I downloaded that then found it's been in my "detecting" folder on the computer for ages and I've never looked at it rl;

I use other sources but will have a go when next I find a hammy. Should be around March, 2019.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:46 am

There are loads of great guides like this one for various classes of artifacts too. All well worth checking out. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

coal digger wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 pm
i'll refer back to this link in another 7 years when i find my second hammy,cd :D
Ditto :D As Above ;;z

(With a name and finds rate like that, you must live near me) :(

HolzHammer

Post by HolzHammer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 am

liamnolan wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 pm
Hi Alexander, thanks for the reply, I have deleted your site as the purpose of my topic is to find out if the other site is working ok for us. It will get complicated if we have other sites included, cheers, Liam ::g
understood loud and clear over!

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks, as Fred says, there are lots of useful ID sites around but I thought this one, aimed at educating FLO's might be one of the best and easy to follow. Its the lettering that confuses me but the more you go through them and how they are sometimes joined up, then it does become a bit clearer each time.
No doubt anyone using this ID site will also refer to others to check details out.
Re not finding any hammies, my experience is that they come up more often near old trackways, footpaths, on fields nearest the roadway, where people gathered really. You find more rubbish as well but thats my tip anyway. Its nice to detect out in the middle of a vast field, no rubbish signals and hoping for a roman or hammy etc but of course the area is quiet and clean because nothing much has been happening there in medieval times onwards.
Also, slow down and check out the lower tone signals, not everything has a lovely high pitch!
Hammies are to be found for sale at very low prices on an auction site and they can be used as test pieces ::g Liam :;@

PHILLUCKY

Post by PHILLUCKY » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:29 pm

That's a great link thank you so much for posting

Iced Tiger

Post by Iced Tiger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks Liam, some interesting info. Should come in useful if I ever have the good fortune to find a hammered coin ::g
Primary, Equinox 800 (still learning) ):=
Secondary, SWMBO with her Go-Find 60
Or should that be reversed. ;))
Thirdly, X-Terra 705

Shaneb3

Post by Shaneb3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for this Liam It will be very handy if I ever find another hammered. P.s if it's only the finding that's the frill I'd be more than happy to relieve you of those boxes and jars =D>

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 pm

I am making this a Sticky for a period so that as many as possible will read it and hopefully use the ID article and then report back on here as to whether they were able to actually make use of it.
Its aimed at educating the FLO's so it should also help us with working out a good ID, cheers, Liam OooO

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Good idea Liam - it is an excellent resource. Thanks ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks, one of the members has asked if when an ID is made on a hammy, that the finder waits for at least two weeks before they add the ID to their topic title. That seems a great idea as some members are now using this "Hammy Identifier" and need to experiment on some submitted coins.
Good luck to all and as allectus points out, DETAIL is all important so that he and others can make the fine judgements. Before you submit a coin, check the pics with the Preview button to check all is in focus. Only a little bit of the scale or a MODERN coin is needed for sizing.
Good luck! Liam OooO

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks very much that's an interesting read, I have yet to find one but I could look at those pictures for hours. sends the old brain racing trying to imagine who lost it and how , how did they earn that money, etc...
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:05 pm

We sometimes assume that the process of identifying coins is somehow beyond us, that its linked to special training and having letters after your name, but I am slowly ploughing through the Guide and gradually becoming familiar with the lettering, then remembering where they will be and what they mean. allectus has it off to a fine art and to help everyone I will arrange for him to be blinded with a medieval red hot poker (only joking) =)) He is simply amazing at the ID work but I am sure some of you lot are not far behind.
Research is so often put on the backburner and seen as sort of boring and a waste of time but I can assure you that once you start to check things out, you are on a journey of discovery, not only about the coin/artefact but the era in which it was lost, how it was used and the people themselves, YOUR ancestors, Liam :;@

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:49 pm

All my Hammies are Edward I 10cf pennies ... so no need for a guide!!! OooO OooO Just praying for the day summit different turns up!!! Bring on the rain :) :) :)
Thanks for the link Liam. ::g ::g ::g ::g ,,, now we just need a guide for cloud seeding!!!
Ohh and the Goggle eyes cut halves are always Henry III ... its sort of weird.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 am

Here is an excellent ID topic in today from Dave that has some super clod shots 8=ypr and although the ID has been done already as you scroll down, have a look at the lettering and see if you can separate them into something you can read and understand.
Good luck, Liam ::g
viewtopic.php?f=120&p=913416#p913416

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Hope people are gradually getting to grips with medieval writing, crowns, faces and so on. It goes without saying that this topic is also an excellent complement to this - viewtopic.php?f=120&t=102873
If anyone has been even a tiny, weenie bit successful on any ID work using this Guide, let us know! Liam OooO

Surveyor

Post by Surveyor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Just seen this Liam, what a great guide I'll now be looking for others in the series. Thanks for posting ::g

madproffesor

Post by madproffesor » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

I have had a look through the guide you suggested and it is very helpful.
Trying to make out what the text on these old coins is will take time. Thanks for posting that link.
Deus Full Kit. C/SCOPE 3MX.
Men and fish have one thing in common...
They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”