Ground balance woes and stone artefact

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
RossDG

Ground balance woes and stone artefact

Post by RossDG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Well, spent a couple of hours after work on the roman villa pasture yesterday; for some reason the GM5+ was very chattery. This pasture usually GB's at 49-52 (auto balance) depending on how far up the hill I am. Last night machine GB'd at 34 and identified endless -14 ferrous signals. The ground is definitely wetter than it was a couple of weeks agao, but is such a difference normal?

Anyway decided to dig some scratchy signals, which predictably delivered ferrous bits, including a couple of hob nails. However in one hole this came out. Now the area is very flinty, but this is a completely different sort of colour texture (chert?) and seems it may have been worked a little? What do you think esteemed forum fellows?
Afraid photos are not great - only have an old phone with me today...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goldenmask 5+
Garrett EuroACE
GP Pointer
Leaky wellies!

Swany

Re: Ground balance woes and stone artefact

Post by Swany » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Nice, Ross, had my son look at it as he is into this sort of thing, it does look worked, but not a lot, a scraper possibly ::g

Me and my boy

Re: Ground balance woes and stone artefact

Post by Me and my boy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Looks more like unintentional chips to me. Worked would also show secondary finer working i would imagine.
2018 hammies. = 108 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Return to “Identification of Finds”