unusual mount Research pays dividends!!

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Spearhead

unusual mount Research pays dividends!!

Post by Spearhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

It was found in a remote spot that the land owner says contains the site of an ancient chapel. Nothing is left of it to help pin point the spot but there are a few large stones laying in the plough that may indicate something.
Finds from the area have mainly been Medieval and Tudor.
Found today (along with an Eddy penny and a broken Eddie round halfpenny, different holes), with the Nox800, about 6" down, came in at 24 on field 1.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It does feel older than Georgian and I am leaning towards Tudor. Isn't the Virgin Mary sometimes depicted as a flower?
When I look at it I can also see that the two side flowers also form two standing lion supporters as in heraldry but they are very crude. The back legs and the tail is formed by the two loops. However this may just be my imagination or it may be a design that can be interpreted two ways?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spearhead on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

HolzHammer

Re: unusual mount

Post by HolzHammer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 pm

I like that!

fred

Post by fred » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm

HolzHammer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 pm
I like that!

Me too. It looks later than Medieval and earlier than Georgian to me. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:33 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm
HolzHammer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 pm
I like that!

Me too. It looks later than Medieval and earlier than Georgian to me. ::g
Having handled it I think that you are right Fred.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm

It has the same look as a 17th century horse boss. It is indeed a lovely thing ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Spearhead

Re: unusual mount research pays dividends

Post by Spearhead » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:46 am

I believe that I have now identified the subject matter on this mount. It is a symbol of the annunciation, when the Angel Gabriel came to Mary and told her that she was going to have Jesus.
The symbolism is a pot of lilies and it was very popular in Medieval and early Tudor times. The pot of lilies can be clearly seen on the three Medieval documents below.
The legend of the pot of lilies and its association with Mary is as follows;
The legends tell of a Jew and Catholic who were sitting together between a wine pot arguing about the perpetual virginity of Our Lady.
The Catholic said to the Jew, "We believe that just as the stalk of the lily grows and conceives the color of green, and afterwards brings forth a white flower without the craft of man or any impairing of the stalk, in that way also Our Lady conceived of the Holy Ghost and afterwards brought forth her Son without blemish of her body, He who is the flower and chief fruit of all men."
The Jew replied, "When I see a lily spring out of this pot, I will believe and not before."
Then, forthwith a lily sprang out of the pot, the fairest that ever was seen. And when the Jew saw that, he fell down on his knees and said, "Lady, now I believe that thou conceived of the Holy Ghost Jesus Christ, God's Son of Heaven, and remained a clean maiden before and after."
And so the Jew was baptized and became a pious man.
It became traditional to place a pot of lilies between the Archangel and Our Lady
For this reason, the legend closes, the pot and the lily is set between Our Lady and Gabriel: "For just as this Jew disputed with the Catholic over the manner of the conception of Our Lady, thus did Our Lady herself question the Angel about the manner and way she should conceive and remain a maiden before and after."

There is also a second symbolism that can clearly be seen on the mount and this may help date it. It appears to be two stylised lions standing as heraldic supporters to a central lily. My research shows that two lions were only used as heraldic supporters during the House of York 1413-1485.Immediately before that a Lion and Antelope or two Antelopes were used and immediately after a Lion and a Hart were used. Although subjective this gives the best clue for dating the mount- late house of York/ early House of Tudor. I would also suggest that the date of the mount really should be pre Reformation in 1517 and certainly before the dissolution of the monastries and other religeous houses.
I believe that the mount was part of the "fixtures and fittings" that adorned the now lost "chapel/ house of God" that local legend says existed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lowland

Re: unusual mount Research pays dividends!!

Post by Lowland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Nicely done sir...now you say pot of lillies ,I can see em.
Tis a lovely find ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Oxgirl36

Re: unusual mount Research pays dividends!!

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Great research Spearhead. Can certainly see the lilies now too ::g
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”