Additional info for 2 recent ring finds appreciated

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
ajb6864

Additional info for 2 recent ring finds appreciated

Post by ajb6864 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm very new to detecting, having only received my first detector just over a month ago. After joining the site recently I am amazed by the wealth of knowledge and the response time for requests for identification.

With that in mind I have a couple of rings that I have found that I would really appreciate some advice on. Neither are particularly old (I assume) or valuable, but they are interesting to me for a couple of different reasons.

The first, is actually the first ring I found, which is only 9ct, but is difficult to date. The reason for that is that it has been double stamped 375. My naive logic says that it must have been originally an English ring that was exported and then the importing country has over-stamped the year letter with their own 375 stamp. So, the question is, is that correct and also is their any way to hazard a guess at the age?

Secondly, I found an absolutely stunning silver ring that my wife adores and wears as an every day ring. It is stamped 925, but the other cartouche is absolutely unreadable. A friend of mine suggested that it symbolised a man's and woman's hand holding a chain link (read into that what you will) which I get. I would like to know whether this is a typical stylised ring and again, knowing how knowledgable the forum members are, if anyone would care to offer an idea of its age. My guess is 1970's Biba style, my detector mate thinks 1930's Art Deco and someone else thought it was quite a bit older!

The joy of a forum like this is the ability to be able to share your finds and being able to bring them alive by shared wisdom. I hope to be able to contribute more constructively over time as my own knowledge increases.

Anyway, here are the photos (couple of them iffy)!
gring1.jpg
gring3.jpg
sring1.jpg
sring2.jpg
Thanks,
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajb6864

Re: Additional info for 2 recent ring finds appreciated

Post by ajb6864 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Sorry all, I should have provided further information and in my eagerness pressed submit.

The rings were found on separate beaches with a Minelab Equinox 600 in Beach 1 setting with the sensitivity at 18.

The gold ring was about 10 inches down at the high tide mark in quite wet sand and the silver ring was around 8 inches down in large cobbles.

I'd been detecting for around an hour when I came across the gold ring and I also found a small eroded silver coin (which is shown in the first photo) in the same hole. It had been mainly spendable coins found up to then.

The silver ring was found around 10feet away from another ring, which according to a local jeweller is 'unidentified metal' with a nice sized cubic zirconium. I had also found several older coins scattered in the same area a few days previously.

Many thanks,
Alan

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 pm

I'll guess 1970's on the gold ring, but that is only a guess. :D
Well done, a great result. ::g
Last edited by Easylife on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Easylife

That was my gut instinct as well. It is a nice solid ring at 5.7g as well.

I was hoping to identify the RJ maker/retailer stamp, but I haven't managed to find that particular one in my solitary hallmark book or the Internet.

That was my best clue, but I hit a dead end, but I'm sure someone on here will have the details!

Thanks for the reply,
Alan

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:14 pm

ajb6864 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm
Hi Easylife

That was my gut instinct as well. It is a nice solid ring at 5.7g as well.

I was hoping to identify the RJ maker/retailer stamp, but I haven't managed to find that particular one in my solitary hallmark book or the Internet.

That was my best clue, but I hit a dead end, but I'm sure someone on here will have the details!

Thanks for the reply,
Alan
i thought it was quite like the last one? x;
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm

I saw that one myself and didn't think the 'R' looked right.

Also I thought the corners looked chamfered rather than rounded, but it could be.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:38 pm

More importantly one of the 375 marks is a 'convention' mark. That means that is dated after 1975. ::g

The silver ring may or may not symbolise something. I can't read the mark beyond 925 but if it is by a known designer it might be worth a few quid otherwise a tenner on a good day. :D
Equinox 800 x2

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks for that Fred, I've never heard of a 'convention mark' before.

I'll do some homework on that.

Why would they have over struck the date letter though? Did that always happen with this particular Mark?

Kindest regards,
Alan

fred

Post by fred » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Here's one dated 1984 with the same makers mark (and a date letter). :D

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nice-Quality-9c ... Sw5eBcfXSV
Equinox 800 x2

erm1969

Post by erm1969 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 pm

According to the Assay Office, date letters became voluntary after 1998, so perhaps that explains the lack of one?

https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 am

Thanks Fred, that does seem to be a good match for the initials.

Erm1969 that's a valid explanation, but I think that the ring probably pre-dates 1998 and it appears to me that the ring did have a date stamp that was over-struck.

Thank you both again for your valued input.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 am

erm1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 pm
According to the Assay Office, date letters became voluntary after 1998, so perhaps that explains the lack of one?
https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

A convention hallmark has four elements just like the ones in the ring i.e. a sponsor's (maker's) mark, a convention mark, a fineness mark and an assay office mark. Date letters are not needed and have not been needed on items convention marked in the UK since 1975.

An ordinary UK hallmark, which can still be used, included a date mark until 1999 but since then the date mark has been voluntary. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am

Brilliant info Fred, thank you. That's exactly why this forum is such a valued resource. So, we can approximately say the ring is late 70's, early 80's, which is what I thought.

Any thoughts on how I can find any info on similar styles to the silver ring Fred? I've tried describing it in Google, but just wondered if the style did signify anything.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 pm

ajb6864 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am
Brilliant info Fred, thank you. That's exactly why this forum is such a valued resource. So, we can approximately say the ring is late 70's, early 80's, which is what I thought.

Any thoughts on how I can find any info on similar styles to the silver ring Fred? I've tried describing it in Google, but just wondered if the style did signify anything.
I doubt it, silver rings are produced in enormous quantities. The raised bit with the marks on suggest that it is fairly good one but your best chance of identifying it will be to make out what's written above the 925 (if anything). :D
Equinox 800 x2

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

I think you've nailed it Fred. I'll try and see if my mate's camera can make any more detail out. He took the photo of the gold ring's hallmarks, because my iPad isn't really up to the job!

Regards,
Alan

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”