Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT Before Creating an ID Request, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....


H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Post Reply
User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Afternoon,
This tiny little bronze coin surfaced at the weekend covered in muck,
I presumed it was a copper turner,so into the tin it went.
On clearing up the weekends loose ends it turns out it’s a good bit older :D
I have never had the occasion to look at roman coins till now....
Not much chance of me getting this one-there’s quite a lot of different ones.
I will have an outside bash at Honorius.
On the reverse I can see a dude with a broomstick with a cross on the end
Numerals for II to his left
And what looks like OM underneath.
On the obverse is a right facing bust with hair tied up with a cord?
So I throw it open to the forum-what the heck is it,thanks in advance ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Blackadder43
Admin
Posts: 10674
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 pm
Location: Somerset
Has thanked: 1020 times
Been thanked: 1024 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm

On the reverse I can see a dude with a broomstick with a cross on the end
=)) =)) ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 27203
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 4995 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Allectus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm

4th century 'Gloria Romanorum' bronze, probably one of the Vals. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 27203
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 4995 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Allectus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm
4th century 'Gloria Romanorum' bronze, probably one of the Vals. ::g

A ;)
Constantinople. ::g
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm
Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm
4th century 'Gloria Romanorum' bronze, probably one of the Vals. ::g

A ;)
Constantinople. ::g
Very similar to this one allectus?
I hadn’t noticed he was dragging a captive perhaps.
Thank you Allectus once again ::g ::g ::g
https://www.magnakoys.com/listing/68662 ... ze-coin-of
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm
Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm

On the reverse I can see a dude with a broomstick with a cross on the end
=)) =)) ::g
Did I say broomstick?
Dam predictive text,I meant to say boomstick :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 27203
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 4995 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Allectus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm
Allectus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm
4th century 'Gloria Romanorum' bronze, probably one of the Vals. ::g

A ;)
Constantinople. ::g
Very similar to this one allectus?
I hadn’t noticed he was dragging a captive perhaps.
Thank you Allectus once again ::g ::g ::g
https://www.magnakoys.com/listing/68662 ... ze-coin-of
That's it mate......Emperor taking his captive for a drag type. :))
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 9863
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2167 times
Been thanked: 5644 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by fred » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 pm

At least one very lost Roman made it to your neck of the woods then! :D
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:18 pm

fred wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:05 pm
At least one very lost Roman made it to your neck of the woods then! :D
Bet he didn’t hang around long Fred :D
Chuffed with the find though-dam stubbles a pain-there’s some good finds
Unobtainable at the moment ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
HolzHammer
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm
Location: Hants
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 568 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by HolzHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm

nice one!
( What's a copper turner btw?)

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm

HolzHammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm
nice one!
( What's a copper turner btw?)
Thanks HH,
Here you go ::g
Some cracking turners here-
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index. ... te=y&cat=y
don’t see many as good as these out of the ground :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
HolzHammer
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm
Location: Hants
Has thanked: 1532 times
Been thanked: 568 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by HolzHammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm
HolzHammer wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm
nice one!
( What's a copper turner btw?)
Thanks HH,
Here you go ::g
Some cracking turners here-
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index. ... te=y&cat=y
don’t see many as good as these out of the ground :D
Thanks Lowland,
You learn something new - much appreciated!
A

User avatar
Ladybird66
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 687 times
Been thanked: 1343 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 pm

That’s a bit different for you Rory. Nice find. Wonder how it got there ?

Well found. Now you’ve got to start thinking about a case for Romans :D

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 pm
That’s a bit different for you Rory. Nice find. Wonder how it got there ?

Well found. Now you’ve got to start thinking about a case for Romans :D
The beggars were all over here ladyB :D
Trimontium is within marching distance....and the mighty river tweed flows close.
Hell they reckon there were areas round here that time served legionaries retired to.
Check this out !
https://rogueclassicismus.wordpress.com ... %2Ffeed%2F
found by a selkirk man ,the late Jock Graham RIP
What a find :-O
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 347 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by coal digger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 am

Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Afternoon,
This tiny little bronze coin surfaced at the weekend covered in muck,
I presumed it was a copper turner,so into the tin it went.
On clearing up the weekends loose ends it turns out it’s a good bit older :D
I have never had the occasion to look at roman coins till now....
Not much chance of me getting this one-there’s quite a lot of different ones.
I will have an outside bash at Honorius.
On the reverse I can see a dude with a broomstick with a cross on the end
Numerals for II to his left
And what looks like OM underneath.
On the obverse is a right facing bust with hair tied up with a cord?
So I throw it open to the forum-what the heck is it,thanks in advance ::g
Using terminology like this one can only assume you are a roman numismatist at the height of his profession =)) ,well done on hitting the roman seam mate,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10204
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4050 times
Been thanked: 4467 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 am

The darn things get everywhere s;.. At least your ‘Emperor taking his captive for a drag’ type was in good enough condition to ID.

I do like the more creative description giving though. Maybe we should try doing that all the time? :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 18 8=ypr

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

coal digger wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 am
Lowland wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm
Afternoon,
This tiny little bronze coin surfaced at the weekend covered in muck,
I presumed it was a copper turner,so into the tin it went.
On clearing up the weekends loose ends it turns out it’s a good bit older :D
I have never had the occasion to look at roman coins till now....
Not much chance of me getting this one-there’s quite a lot of different ones.
I will have an outside bash at Honorius.
On the reverse I can see a dude with a broomstick with a cross on the end
Numerals for II to his left
And what looks like OM underneath.
On the obverse is a right facing bust with hair tied up with a cord?
So I throw it open to the forum-what the heck is it,thanks in advance ::g
Using terminology like this one can only assume you are a roman numismatist at the height of his profession =)) ,well done on hitting the roman seam mate,cd ::g
Oh aye CD :))
The roman finds arepretty novel to me at the moment,
here’s hoping I have cause to celebrate some more Getting found-
Give me a chance to expand my vocabulary suite ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 6073
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 6705 times
Been thanked: 3370 times
Contact:

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 am
The darn things get everywhere s;.. At least your ‘Emperor taking his captive for a drag’ type was in good enough condition to ID.

I do like the more creative description giving though. Maybe we should try doing that all the time? :D
There are roman quarry workings just on the other side of the valley from here OG
There is reportedly gold in the burn,bet the Romans had somebody else digging it up :D
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 1052 times
Been thanked: 1896 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by littleboot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am

Those 'turners' are very similar in design and metal to the copper hammereds of the same period I get here in Normandy. (Denier and Double Tournois and Liards.) They don't come up in good condition often either....the only time they do is when long time pasture or garden is ploughed for the first time and if I can get on quick enough to get them before its been Monsanto'd and before the air gets to 'em, Otherwise I end up with a powdery turquoise disc and most of the detail disappears with the first attempt to see what it is.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 347 times

Re: Tiny ancient bronze coin for ID-thought it was a turner-nope!

Post by coal digger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 pm

bet the Romans had somebody else digging it up :D

Yea the geezer getting dragged from his hut :D ,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”