1811 coin with shield for ID please - FTB Bristol Brass & Copper Co token

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....


H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Post Reply
User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2461
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

1811 coin with shield for ID please - FTB Bristol Brass & Copper Co token

Post by Saffron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 am

I found this coin the other week on the Rodney Cook rally near bath using the Nox 800 (field1).

Could fairly easily see the 1811 date and shield, and as roughly the size of a penny took it to be one and did not pay it much attention at the time as the coin was in poor condition,especially the reverse.

But eventually got around to looking at it some time after and soon found out that firstly it was the wrong size for a George III 1811 penny (the scale in photo is inches but is about 29 millimetres), and secondly the design was wrong for a George III English penny.

I can make out some of the text but not enough to get an ID (not putting what I think text is in case wrong and might confuse people). It has been suggested it might be German or from that general area but I do not know if this is correct.

Any help very much appreciated.

Evan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Saffron on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2461
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by Saffron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 am

No idea what happened to the reverse!

MODS: Help!! When I try posting both the obverse and reverse show under the "attachsnments" as I would expect, but when I post only the obverse is showing.
Also tried posting it as a single file attached to this post and again not working.

Evan

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 5483
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 1527 times
Been thanked: 2955 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by Easylife » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 am

Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10227
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2278 times
Been thanked: 5968 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by fred » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:31 am

Depends upon what is on the other side but most likely a Brass and Copper Co token halfpenny. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2461
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please - FTB Bristol Brass & Copper Co token

Post by Saffron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am

Easylife, Fred,
very many thanks for that ID as a Bristol Brass & Copper Company token.

Not only does the shield match but the text VIRTUTE ET INDUSTRIA (Virtue or valour and industry) matches what I could make out.

With the 29mm size its the 1/2d as Fred said rather than the 1d (33m) and I can make out a H.F where the ONE or HALF should be on the reverse now I know what I am looking for.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces121611.html

The dig was only about 15 miles from Bristol so the find location also ties in.

I am not used to dates on tokens, which threw me and made me think it would be a foreign coin. You always learn something new in this hobby.

Once again thanks gents for the great ID.

Evan

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10704
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4328 times
Been thanked: 4824 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am

Saffron wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 am
No idea what happened to the reverse!

MODS: Help!! When I try posting both the obverse and reverse show under the "attachsnments" as I would expect, but when I post only the obverse is showing.
Also tried posting it as a single file attached to this post and again not working.

Evan
Evan email me the other side and I’ll add it :D ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 2461
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by Saffron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am
Saffron wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 am
No idea what happened to the reverse!

MODS: Help!! When I try posting both the obverse and reverse show under the "attachsnments" as I would expect, but when I post only the obverse is showing.
Also tried posting it as a single file attached to this post and again not working.

Evan
Evan email me the other side and I’ll add it :D ::g
Thanks for the offer Cath, but to be quite honest the reverse is in such very poor condition its not worth it, the main reason I went to post it was purely because of the HAMMY rule that says you have to have TWO photos when asking for an ID rather than thinking it would help with the ID.

Evan

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 10704
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4328 times
Been thanked: 4824 times

Re: 1811 coin with shield for ID please

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am

Saffron wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 am
Saffron wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 am
No idea what happened to the reverse!

MODS: Help!! When I try posting both the obverse and reverse show under the "attachsnments" as I would expect, but when I post only the obverse is showing.
Also tried posting it as a single file attached to this post and again not working.

Evan
Evan email me the other side and I’ll add it :D ::g
Thanks for the offer Cath, but to be quite honest the reverse is in such very poor condition its not worth it, the main reason I went to post it was purely because of the HAMMY rule that says you have to have TWO photos when asking for an ID rather than thinking it would help with the ID.

Evan
Precisely ;) =))
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”