Coin ID - Seated man / Victoria ?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
jones123

Coin ID - Seated man / Victoria ?

Post by jones123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 pm

I know its trashed pretty badly but can anybody steer me in the right direction, ?
Searched high & low for a match, without luck...foreign maybe? but does look like viccy. :-L

Found today, 8 inches below with ADX150 ::g
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jones123 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allectus

Re: Coin ID - Seated man / Victoria ?

Post by Allectus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm

"KEEP YOUR TEMPER" Gaming token/counter.

A ;)
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

jones123

Post by jones123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 pm

Allectus wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:07 pm
"KEEP YOUR TEMPER" Gaming token/counter.

A ;)

Ah nice, fantastic ID B-) ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I agree with what you are seeing. To me it looks like a "Young head" Queen Victoria, and a man playing a piano.

Found the following on https://www.rct.uk/collection/2426/grand-piano which ties in with that theory.

For Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, the piano was the centre of music-making at home and they installed pianos in the private apartments of all their residences. Together they played arrangements of overtures and symphonies, and accompanied each other in song. This elaborately decorated instrument by Erard was intended as a showpiece for the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace. The gilded case is decorated in the French early eighteenth-century style with cherubs and singeries – comical scenes involving monkeys playing musical instruments and making mischief. Queen Victoria had owned a piano decorated in a similar manner almost twenty years earlier. In her diary of 5 March 1839, she wrote, 'Lord Melbourne admired the new painted piano I have in the drawing-room, and said, 'I like those monkeys on it.'

But so far can not identify exactly what your find is.

Evan

Edit: Typed before seeing the "Keep your temper" gaming token post. Could the man be a card player?.
Last edited by Saffron on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 pm

Saffron wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 pm
I agree with what you are seeing. To me it looks like a "Young head" Queen Victoria, and a man playing a piano.

Found the following on https://www.rct.uk/collection/2426/grand-piano which ties in with that theory.

For Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, the piano was the centre of music-making at home and they installed pianos in the private apartments of all their residences. Together they played arrangements of overtures and symphonies, and accompanied each other in song. This elaborately decorated instrument by Erard was intended as a showpiece for the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace. The gilded case is decorated in the French early eighteenth-century style with cherubs and singeries – comical scenes involving monkeys playing musical instruments and making mischief. Queen Victoria had owned a piano decorated in a similar manner almost twenty years earlier. In her diary of 5 March 1839, she wrote, 'Lord Melbourne admired the new painted piano I have in the drawing-room, and said, 'I like those monkeys on it.'

But so far can not identify exactly what your find is.

Evan
It's a gaming counter & the seated figure sits at a card table....lots of different types. ::g
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them."

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Allectus,
I made typed that post before seeing your gaming token post u;@ (mine took longer to type!).

Agree your ID, hence edit to mine.

Evan
Last edited by Saffron on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jones123

Post by jones123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Evan, thanks for trying , great effort , I too thought piano , also thought it was a president lol rl;

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Well at least you were right about it being a Viccy :) Looks like Albert at the table too.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”