Lead Token ID help please

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....

H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Withano

Lead Token ID help please

Post by Withano » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 pm

So the missus and I are quite new to detecting. I have had my 400i for a few weeks now and found a few interesting pieces. Nope, no hammereds, no romans nor jewellery yet but a nice military button that I am sending to the Museum of the Kings Royal Hussars. We are very lucky in that we already have 4 permissions ranging from the smallest (2 acres) to our biggest (1000 acres). Plenty to go at for now I think.

Anyway, today in woodland on an old disused footpath we found this. I am sure it is a lead token and is very fragile to the touch. You can see the damage to the edges just by it's initial clean as it came out of the ground. I've spent a couple of hours trying to research it but, to be honest, I've no idea.

I had my 400i set on Custom mode with iron discrimination on and 2 bars from top of sensitivity. It was around 8-10 inches deep at the edge of the path. Soil conditions were quite sandy and damp.

We'd love it if one of you could help us out with this one. Also, if it is old, do we need to report it to FLO?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garrett 400i/Garret Pro Pinpointer/Cheap trowel till I get my Evolution at xmas/Spear and Jackson Childs Spade (don't knock it, it's great!)

Oxgirl36

Re: Lead Token ID help please

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:12 pm

It is a nice one, always good to see one with decorations ::g . They are notoriously hard to date accurately but this one looks similar to medieval ones.

You do not have to record it with the FLO but it is nice to and I would certainly encourage you to. Well that is if you can get to see one, all my local ones are too busy or there’s no one in post ;;z
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 22 B-)

fred

Re: Lead Token ID help please

Post by fred » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 pm

I would have thought post Medieval myself, but perhaps not by too far. Perhaps early Stuart period? :D
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”