Is it even a coin.

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT - BEFORE CREATING A ID REQUEST, Please Follow the H.A.M.M.Y Code Below....


H - Have at least two good sized clear photos, this is Mandatory
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler. this is Mandatory
M - Machine used? settings? interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.

*PLEASE NOTE: Use of a modern coin or written dimensions no longer qualify as a "scale". We need a properly-defined measure - metric or good old-fashioned inches will do.
Post Reply
Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Found this today on my local permission.
Using my ace250 with nel tornado.
It was about 8” deep and gave off a cracking piece signal.
Thing is , I don’t really know if it’s a coin or a piece of random metal that happens to be coin shaped.
It’s around 1mm thick.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 8231
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1790 times
Been thanked: 1392 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by oldartefact » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Sorry but it looks like an overly toasted button??
I have found similar before .. and have asked myself the same question, but the experts on the digs always come back with the same diagnosis..
VG pics btw.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Sorry but it looks like an overly toasted button??
I have found similar before .. and have asked myself the same question, but the experts on the digs always come back with the same diagnosis..
VG pics btw.
Thanks for the quick reply, I’ve seen the description “toasted “ before, as a relative newbie, what does it mean?

Spearhead
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm
Has thanked: 1357 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Spearhead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:50 pm

The photos are not clear but it could well be a Roman coin, probably 3rd or 4th century.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 11511
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4655 times
Been thanked: 5314 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Mutley wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Sorry but it looks like an overly toasted button??
I have found similar before .. and have asked myself the same question, but the experts on the digs always come back with the same diagnosis..
VG pics btw.
Thanks for the quick reply, I’ve seen the description “toasted “ before, as a relative newbie, what does it mean?
It’s so corroded it isn’t possible to identify it anymore. This post containing MD terms might help you with any others you don’t know viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24899&p=206526#p206526 ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 11511
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4655 times
Been thanked: 5314 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:59 pm

It could be something and certainly indicates more than a button to me. Better photos would really, really help. Ideally do some more in daylight. You can ditch the ruler for the additional photos, then crop them so we can see more detail ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Spearhead wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:50 pm
The photos are not clear but it could well be a Roman coin, probably 3rd or 4th century.
😲

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:59 pm
It could be something and certainly indicates more than a button to me. Better photos would really, really help. Ideally do some more in daylight. You can ditch the ruler for the additional photos, then crop them so we can see more detail ::g
I’ll take som tomorrow 👍👍

User avatar
fred
Posts: 10700
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 2522 times
Been thanked: 6379 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by fred » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 pm

It looks like a possible Roman to me too but, if so, it falls well within the definition of a 'grot' (look it up too :D ). Your only choice is to take encouragement from it and next time find something silver or gold that we can more readily identify! ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm
Mutley wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Sorry but it looks like an overly toasted button??
I have found similar before .. and have asked myself the same question, but the experts on the digs always come back with the same diagnosis..
VG pics btw.
Thanks for the quick reply, I’ve seen the description “toasted “ before, as a relative newbie, what does it mean?
It’s so corroded it isn’t possible to identify it anymore. This post containing MD terms might help you with any others you don’t know viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24899&p=206526#p206526 ::g. Thanks oxgirl.
Thanks

User avatar
amphora
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by amphora » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm
It’s so corroded it isn’t possible to identify it anymore.
I think it must be possible to recognize some more with cleaning.
But as you say Oxgirl, corroded so clean with care.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 11511
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: A Lancastrian living in sunny Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 4655 times
Been thanked: 5314 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm

amphora wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 pm
It’s so corroded it isn’t possible to identify it anymore.
I think it must be possible to recognize some more with cleaning.
But as you say Oxgirl, corroded so clean with care.
Lol I wasn’t referring to this coin. I was explaining what ‘toasted’ meant ::g
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm

In a bit nervous about cleaning it to be honest. Any suggestions on the safest way?

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 28010
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 1118 times
Been thanked: 5747 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Allectus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Mutley wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm
In a bit nervous about cleaning it to be honest. Any suggestions on the safest way?
You're not gonna make it any worse! :))

A couple of better/cropped pics might help?


A ;)

Mutley
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by Mutley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 am

Allectus wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm
Mutley wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 pm
In a bit nervous about cleaning it to be honest. Any suggestions on the safest way?
You're not gonna make it any worse! :))

A couple of better/cropped pics might help?


A ;)
😂😂😂😂

User avatar
amphora
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Is it even a coin.

Post by amphora » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Allectus wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm
You're not gonna make it any worse! :))
Yeah, what's to loose.
You can start with a tooth brush with simple water.
Or put it in olive oil for days, and pick each day with a tooth pic (not my style).
If you dare you can use a soft copper brush.

Make sure you get rid of rubbish, and NOT the patine.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”