Hello from an East Devon newcomer

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT

Before creating an ID request please note you must:
1. include at least 2 photos of the item, both sides of a coin, or two angles of other items.
2. Include a ruler or other form of scale that clearly displays the scale in cm or inches. A coin or written dimensions is not acceptable.

Further information will also help, full guidance is below:
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos.
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler.
M - Machine used and settings are interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.
CampingPark

Hello from an East Devon newcomer

Post by CampingPark »

Hi. I am new here and to Metal Detecting.

I have just purchased an Equinox 800 and went out first time and discovered a coin on the third hole. Too badly corroded to see any inscription but I am sure someone out there will be able to give me a guide as to what I have found. It does have a milled edge and was not aware of pennies having a milled edge but maybe some did.

Rather fortunate in that I have my own hunting ground and as the name suggests I have a camping park. Been a Park since 1945 apparently but also there is some history to the village - so looking forward to what I discover in the months/years ahead.

Can you clean something up like this? Wary of using anything too harsh as I don’t want to make it worse.

I look forward to hearing from someone.

Regards

Mark

AA5FF1AB-E181-41DB-988A-74E219FEB82A.jpeg
7572D764-E043-452F-ADBD-41189B84CEC4.jpeg
BB3FEF65-BF86-4E51-85DF-543B2B0D65DB.jpeg
E027FA54-51AD-43DD-A705-177179986834.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NoxHunter

Re: Hello from an East Devon newcomer

Post by NoxHunter »

Hi welcome and nice to see a nova equinox user probably a old George penny ::g
Used Green Garret 100 Green Garret 300 Tesoro laser B3 Garret 400i C.scope mxi6 Whites DFX Minelab Safari and now the Equinox 600 [:) Staffordshire

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Hello Mark and welcome aboard the forum ::g You seem to be well set-up in terms of land available for your detecting. The coin shown is probably a ha'penny from the Georgian period (18th C) and the condition is typical of those found from the period by detectorists. Unfortunately, there is no cleaning process that will result in more detail being available as it has been lost by combination of circulation wear and weathering in the ground. :( Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut »

Greetings, fellow East Devoner. ::g

I’d agree with it being a Georgian Half penny, as I found one of the same size in the Exe estuary when I was a little lad. ::g
I’d suggest a bit of soapy water and an old toothbrush might give ‘some’ detail. it’s surprising how effective a bit of soapy water is!

Best regards,

Simon
Military Firearms and Ammunition Historian, and published author to that effect! 13 years experience of collecting, researching military ordnance and weaponry!

https://wartimedalditchcamp.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”