ALERT The MDF has a monthly Prune of all Members that have Zero Posts to their Accounts to Free up Resources. However Just 1 Single Post will keep your account open indefinitely.

Thimble with an extra passenger

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT

Before creating an ID request please note you must:
1. include at least 2 photos of the item, both sides of a coin, or two angles of other items.
2. Include a ruler or other form of scale that clearly displays the scale in cm or inches. A coin or written dimensions is not acceptable.

Further information will also help, full guidance is below:
H - Have at least two good sized clear photos.
A - About your detecting day, type of land, depth found.
M - Measure items by doing the pics next to a scale or ruler.
M - Machine used and settings are interesting to other users.
Y - You will always get a better ID if you supply more information.
hihosilver

Thimble with an extra passenger

Post by hihosilver »

Found yesterday on our club dig. It's obviously a thimble but has something else inside it. At first I thought inside it was a musket ball, but the weight wasn't right for that as it felt too light. I also thought the ball might be hiding something interesting inside it, but I haven't tried to clean it up yet. I will investigate that later.

Copper thimble. Unknown material inside (avec mud ;)) ). Looks like a later period one so maybe 19th century.

It's been suggested that it's a piece of porous material that would have been used to mix paint of some sort inside the thimble which sounds very possible. Anyone know which profession may have used such a technique? Or was it a common practice?

Deus Fast mode using v2.0.

Thanks for looking. ::g

Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, MINELAB Equinox 800 v1.7.5, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Looking for a friendly club in the Bristol and Somerset area? Contact us at:
www.wessexsearchers.club

This topic has 28 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”