old ring and possible henry iii longcross penny for dating please

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
sidaces

old ring and possible henry iii longcross penny for dating please

Post by sidaces » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Me and my friend have secured farm land which is connected to and old castle which King Cenwulf of Mercia was believed to have died there in 800s.These lands have been heavily searched before. The ring was found in the field connected to the protected site and looks really ancient to me. It was found around 15 " deep on the mine lab ctx 3030 on a 17" coil in relic mode preset. The reading was similar to a coin at 12/25 . It is 20mm in diameter and weighs 2.2grams , it is made out of copper or bronze and has distinct drilled holes where possible stones were set in. Unfortunately no stones but I still love this find and would love to find a date on when it was made or what type of ring it is ? There are no hallmarks anywhere on this ring or if there are they are covered in patina and are not visible. The coin was found closer to another battle which took place around 1200s and also had a wooden castle which is half a mile from king cenwolf site . We are assuming the king Henry iii cross penny could be online with those dates and the area. This was found on my friends XP deus I'm not sure of his settings ect but it was found 4 inches deep on a previously ploughed field. When I ran my ctx3030 over it the reading was on the foil side at 12/13 as many hammered coins seem to be. So yeah hopefully more finds to come it seems the research is now paying off ::g but any help on dating these items would be much appreciated thanks again everyone for all your help ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sidaces

Re: old ring and possible henry iii longcross penny for dating please

Post by sidaces » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Another pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldhamlad

Post by oldhamlad » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Great finds mate ;) would be nice for a top view of ring to determine age to see if perfectly circular

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Class 5 Henry III - 1251-1272. ::g

A ;)

sidaces

Post by sidaces » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Allectus wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:22 pm
Class 5 Henry III - 1251-1272. ::g

A ;)
Great earliest coin we have ever found , on home turf aswell thanks again for your help Allectus ::g

sidaces

Post by sidaces » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 pm

oldhamlad wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm
Great finds mate ;) would be nice for a top view of ring to determine age to see if perfectly circular

It seems to be the same dimension all around

sidaces

Post by sidaces » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Although it is thick the top and thin at the bottom and 20mm in diameter 👍

Return to “Identification of Finds”