ID for Mixed finds please

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Post Reply
cru1z1n
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

ID for Mixed finds please

Post by cru1z1n » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

hello guys and gals my name is mark was given an old squeaker metal detector then this week i got a call from a farm/packhouse while there i took my opportunity(after saving his day) to ask him if i could detect on the land he tells me no problem tells me abit of history about a battle during the civil war with the Jacobite's also tells me im going to be finding alot of cannon balls as he's found many over the years.
With the bit of land which has already been cleared ive found a couple coins and these mysterious items which im in hope someone can shed some light on.

No Cannon Balls Tho!!

item 1 images:
Not sure what to say about this one i find it intersting it may well be just junk.
ImageImageImage

Item 2: this one really has me interested.
My other half thinks a broach im not sure, When you look close the patterns on the stem and head are on the inside which has me thinking it has been bent the wrong way but i really dont know ;S.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

item 3 :
i know its a folding knife but would love to know how it may of looked before the misplacement/ burial.
Image Image

thanks for looking
mark....

User avatar
knotalot
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by knotalot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Knife could have been something like this
http://www.retonthenet.co.uk/vintage-ww ... 1998-p.asp
Marlin spike knife

thefiggis
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by thefiggis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 am

Item 1 looks like a drawer or cabinet handle. Item 2 is a tricky one. Like you, I thought that with the two decorated sides facing each other it was bent. While that may well be the case, the bend looks too uniform and even and was cast like that.
John

User avatar
fred
Posts: 3105
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by fred » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 am

thefiggis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 am
Item 1 looks like a drawer or cabinet handle. Item 2 is a tricky one. Like you, I thought that with the two decorated sides facing each other it was bent. While that may well be the case, the bend looks too uniform and even and was cast like that.
There also seems to be a stud on the flat bit. It does look like a hook for hanging something, possibly even from a leather belt. I am a little suspicious becase the stud would be more secure further up but might it even be a sword hook? ::g

The pocket knife looks a standard one with a spike. There are even similar military ones. I find a bit of a penknife almost every time out. Googling it should give you no end of candidates.

User avatar
littleboot
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Normandy (the cider and cheese area)
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by littleboot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 am

With a permission with that kind of history, get yourself a new, unsqueaky detector pronto. :))
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

cru1z1n
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by cru1z1n » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am

thefiggis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 am
Item 1 looks like a drawer or cabinet handle. Item 2 is a tricky one. Like you, I thought that with the two decorated sides facing each other it was bent. While that may well be the case, the bend looks too uniform and even and was cast like that.
this is all very exiting for me thank you for your input :D.
fred wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 am
thefiggis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 am
Item 1 looks like a drawer or cabinet handle. Item 2 is a tricky one. Like you, I thought that with the two decorated sides facing each other it was bent. While that may well be the case, the bend looks too uniform and even and was cast like that.
There also seems to be a stud on the flat bit. It does look like a hook for hanging something, possibly even from a leather belt. I am a little suspicious becase the stud would be more secure further up but might it even be a sword hook? ::g

The pocket knife looks a standard one with a spike. There are even similar military ones. I find a bit of a penknife almost every time out. Googling it should give you no end of candidates.
your just feeding my curiosity while making this 10x more exiting for me.
I wonder whats coming up next thank you so much ::g
littleboot wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 am
With a permission with that kind of history, get yourself a new, unsqueaky detector pronto. :))
already on the search ::g
knotalot wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm
Knife could have been something like this
http://www.retonthenet.co.uk/vintage-ww ... 1998-p.asp
Marlin spike knife
I think you hit the nail on the head there after a good inspection of the picture you provided i can confirm this is that knife thank you soo much

KittyHawk
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Falmouth, Cornwall
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ID for Mixed finds please

Post by KittyHawk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm

2 reminds me of scabbard hooks - this sort of thing:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showre ... &styleid=2
Garret 250 & Pro-pointer

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u397/Cole_Karen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arch Stanton, db-uk, DiOz, Dodo, DWtheKAT, geoffb, jag, littleboot, the-roman, tigtog, topsy and 16 guests