new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Post Reply
MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi
I went out on a new permission today. Only went out just over an hour and looks promising.
I am led to believe it should be a good roman site, but ive been told this before and found very little.
The photo is all my finds in the hour, there were musket balls, vicky penny,french jetton etc.
The bottom row i have no idea what anything is, can anyone help?
Im pretty sure 3rd row first button on left is roman? Ive added a close up of the underneath of this.

Can anyone help ID the bottom row or confirm a roman button.
Also does anyone have any idea on the small buckle?

Thanks in advance
MD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



Bargeman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:25 pm
Location: Newbury
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 637 times
Contact:

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Bargeman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm

If it helps, the Romans never had buttons x;
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

User avatar
fred
Posts: 5872
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 714 times
Been thanked: 2297 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by fred » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 pm

No Roman but you have late medieval onwards, which means that your site has good potential. Your finds certainly are improving rapidly. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks fred

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm
If it helps, the Romans never had buttons x;
Haha that helps

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 pm
No Roman but you have late medieval onwards, which means that your site has good potential. Your finds certainly are improving rapidly. ::g
Any idea what any of the bottom row are.
Thanks again

User avatar
fred
Posts: 5872
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 714 times
Been thanked: 2297 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by fred » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Bottom left looks like a sword or dagger chape. It should be Medieval but I suspect that it will be a bit later. The other two items are probably Georgian. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 am

fred wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm
Bottom left looks like a sword or dagger chape. It should be Medieval but I suspect that it will be a bit later. The other two items are probably Georgian. ::g
Thanks Fred
And thanks again for the items you sent for research, ive really enjoyed them pretty much finished researching them , took me a while

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 1967 times
Been thanked: 1752 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 am

They do say where there are Jettons there are hammered coins too ::g Probably true but my fields keep trying to disprove the theory; I hope yours are less cantankerous :D
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 1967 times
Been thanked: 1752 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am

Forgot to say the buckle is likely to be a 1690-1720 shoe buckle ::g around p100 of whiteheads book
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am
Forgot to say the buckle is likely to be a 1690-1720 shoe buckle ::g around p100 of whiteheads book
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf
Thanks its all new to me

MLDetect
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by MLDetect » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:26 am
They do say where there are Jettons there are hammered coins too ::g Probably true but my fields keep trying to disprove the theory; I hope yours are less cantankerous :D
You were right found this hammered coin this morning not far from where i found the jetton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 1967 times
Been thanked: 1752 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

You lucky thing! I'm out now - hope I have as much luck ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Me and my boy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm
You lucky thing! I'm out now - hope I have as much luck ::g
GOOD LUCK OXGIRL, I've my fingers crossed for you to get a hammy😀
2018 hammies. = 97 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 1967 times
Been thanked: 1752 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm
You lucky thing! I'm out now - hope I have as much luck ::g
GOOD LUCK OXGIRL, I've my fingers crossed for you to get a hammy😀
Sadly the highlight was a broken perfume bottle top. And no it wasn't silver ;;z looking on the bright side my favourite cultivated field has just been harvested and I'm on holiday till Tuesday. And even better the kids are away at camp -=+:-P I feel another day detecting might be on the cards ;'h
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Me and my boy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm
Me and my boy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm
You lucky thing! I'm out now - hope I have as much luck ::g
GOOD LUCK OXGIRL, I've my fingers crossed for you to get a hammy😀
Sadly the highlight was a broken perfume bottle top. And no it wasn't silver ;;z looking on the bright side my favourite cultivated field has just been harvested and I'm on holiday till Tuesday. And even better the kids are away at camp -=+:-P I feel another day detecting might be on the cards ;'h
Bunk of Wednesday too😀
Have you managed that first hammy yet?
2018 hammies. = 97 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

User avatar
Oxgirl36
Moderator
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 1967 times
Been thanked: 1752 times

Re: new permission test dig. Any roman here ?

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:58 pm

LOL I've just had a week and a half off (well will have when I go back on Tuesday) AND I have the following week off so best not take the p@ss :D

Yes found first hammy on LGD dig last Autumn. Nothing since, just jettons and a couple of very poor romans. Mind you I do get to dig up coins. I could open a museum with the amount of Georgian and victorian coins. Most in great condition too. But silver things elude me - only one item - an 18th century silver coin - in the last year (plus the hammy). Maybe the detecting gods are saving my luck to give me one corking find :D =))

P.s. Apologies for straying off topic a bit, hope you don't mind Mildenhalldetect OooO
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds”