Roman for ID please new pics added

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Post Reply
tigerseeker
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Roman for ID please new pics added

Post by tigerseeker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Can anyone help to ID this please??

Looking at the head it is 16mm top to bottom and also 16mm side to side - I know it isnt quite round but that what I have measured.
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
Unfortunately I didn't dig it my father in law asked me yesterday if I knew anyone who could ID it. He found it 40 - 50 years ago in his garden!!

I'll try and work on my picture technique - I blame apple!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tigerseeker on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett Euroace
Determination


thefiggis
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Norfolk
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Roman for ID please

Post by thefiggis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 am

"Gloria Exercitus" on the reverse would be the Constantine dynasty. The obverse pic sadly runs out of focus at the important bit of text after "Constan..." which is a bit of a swine as Constantine I wasn't overly imaginative when it came to naming his spogs, whose names all began with "Constan..."!

My guess would be Constantine I or II but a clearer, larger pic would help. The coin's in cracking condition, though. Nice one.
John

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Roman for ID please

Post by coal digger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 am

Decent close up pics help to get an id.Did you dig it?,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

tigerseeker
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Roman for ID please

Post by tigerseeker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:01 am

thefiggis wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 am
"Gloria Exercitus" on the reverse would be the Constantine dynasty. The obverse pic sadly runs out of focus at the important bit of text after "Constan..." which is a bit of a swine as Constantine I wasn't overly imaginative when it came to naming his spogs, whose names all began with "Constan..."!

My guess would be Constantine I or II but a clearer, larger pic would help. The coin's in cracking condition, though. Nice one.
Thanks John.

I have added some new pictures that I hope are a bit clearer, still working on my photo taking skills....
Garrett Euroace
Determination

tigerseeker
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Roman for ID please

Post by tigerseeker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 am

coal digger wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:42 am
Decent close up pics help to get an id.Did you dig it?,cd ::g
I wish I did!!

My father in law gave me it yesterday and asked if I knew anyone who could ID it, he found it in his garden 40 - 50 years ago and had it in a tin somewhere...

Thanks
Garrett Euroace
Determination

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Roman for ID please new pics added

Post by coal digger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am

Its Constantine junior with Gloria Exercitvs reverse mate.Yea i thought it looked like it had been out of the ground a while,a nice example though,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

tigerseeker
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Roman for ID please new pics added

Post by tigerseeker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am

coal digger wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am
Its Constantine junior with Gloria Exercitvs reverse mate.Yea i thought it looked like it had been out of the ground a while,a nice example though,cd ::g
thanks cd much appreciated.

Any ideo the date so I can tell the father in law??

Thanks again
Garrett Euroace
Determination

User avatar
coal digger
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Roman for ID please new pics added

Post by coal digger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:43 am

tigerseeker wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am
coal digger wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 am
Its Constantine junior with Gloria Exercitvs reverse mate.Yea i thought it looked like it had been out of the ground a while,a nice example though,cd ::g
thanks cd much appreciated.

Any ideo the date so I can tell the father in law??

Thanks again
AD 330-336,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heymikey, Machinist, undermyfeet, Xiucutil and 44 guests