American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Post Reply
detectorman5050
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 23 times

American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi

Found this coin this morning. Not made any attempt to clean it. It's obviously been used as a necklace at some point and has a hole drilled in it.

As usual I used my ACE 250 to find this coin. Lot's of people will say that the ACE is no good for beach detecting. In my opinion you can find lots of good stuff with the ACE on dry sand, and even the wet rocky/shingle bits (where this coin was found.)

WHERE DID I FIND IT?
I found this today on a Scottish beach once very popular with tourists. The place can still get busy if the sun appears, but sadly that is very rare these days. It's not really the sort of place you'd expect to find old American coins to be honest.

It was on the part of the beach where you find the 'old stuff.' I.e. not where people sunbathe, but amongst the rocks and shingle that are only revealed at low tide.

WHAT IS IT MADE OF?
It looks like silver to me.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION OF ITEM

The diameter of the coin is approximately 16mm x 16mm.

It obviously has United States of America written on it, and who I'm guessing is 'Liberty.' Can't make out the date, as I think that's where they drilled the hole. I thought I made out 17 under certain light, so could it be 1917? The back is bit odd, as it looks similar to a British Victorian Sixpence. So I'm left wondering was this a 'real coin' at all?

Someone's initials have been engraved on the coin.

DEPTH OF FIND
It was about 3 inches down.

Image

Image
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
fred
Posts: 3682
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by fred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Nice silver Barber dime which has been turned into a love token. ::g people often wore these on charm bracelets. ::g

detectorman5050
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi Fred

Thanks for getting back to me. It certainly looks like a Silver Barber Dime. However, one odd thing I noted. On the reverse of the coin with the floral design, and engraved initials, it does not say 'One Dime.' Without the person's initials the centre of the coin would just be totally blank.

Is it possible a skilled person could have erased the 'one dime' inscription' on the reverse of the coin to make one for someone's initials?

Also when you turn the coin over from the face side, the floral design is upside down. This has left me wondering if this is a 'fake dime' made as jewellery?

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 748 times
Been thanked: 408 times
Contact:

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by Lowland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Cool find a looong way from home
LL
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

detectorman5050
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Lowland wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm
Cool find a looong way from home
LL
Yes was a bit of a surprise to find a silver dime on a Scottish beach. Don't know the story behind this one. All I can say is that Scottish people seemed more 'mobile' then looking at my own family tree, with half of them ending up in USA, Canada, Australia etc.

I'm just guessing maybe some Scottish person picked it up in US, and then lost it back home.
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 748 times
Been thanked: 408 times
Contact:

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by Lowland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 pm

The engraved monogram looks skillfully done..
That coins journey to you would probably make a good film,if we knew what it was.
It's a Good find
And if it was a charm bracelet as Fred suggests --there might be other bits of it waiting to be found.
nice to see
Cheers
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

User avatar
fred
Posts: 3682
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by fred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:59 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm
Hi Fred

Thanks for getting back to me. It certainly looks like a Silver Barber Dime. However, one odd thing I noted. On the reverse of the coin with the floral design, and engraved initials, it does not say 'One Dime.' Without the person's initials the centre of the coin would just be totally blank.

Is it possible a skilled person could have erased the 'one dime' inscription' on the reverse of the coin to make one for someone's initials?

Also when you turn the coin over from the face side, the floral design is upside down. This has left me wondering if this is a 'fake dime' made as jewellery?
The modification of coins to form items of jewelery and love tokens has been going on for ever, just think of all those pierced Roman coins and modified groats that you dig up! :D It really seems to have taken off from Victorian times onwards and some people seem to have become extremely skilled at it. I forgot to mention that another very common way that pierced coins were worn was on watch chains. ::g

detectorman5050
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks Fred. After doing some research, I reckon mine is from either 1897 or 1907. I'm presuming it's of little value, so what is the best way of cleaning it up?

Would a toothbrush/toothpaste be the best method?

User avatar
Lowland
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Location: scottish middle march
Has thanked: 748 times
Been thanked: 408 times
Contact:

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by Lowland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Thanks Fred. After doing some research, I reckon mine is from either 1897 or 1907. I'm presuming it's of little value, so what is the best way of cleaning it up?

Would a toothbrush/toothpaste be the best method?
It's got a nice look to it as is?
If the high spots were a bit brighter maybe...
I've used flat tin foil and just run the coin face across it
It's just enough to shine up the prominent areas and leave the dark recesses untouched. ::g
lang may yer lum reek wi sumboady elses coal

User avatar
fred
Posts: 3682
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by fred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Lowland wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm
detectorman5050 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Thanks Fred. After doing some research, I reckon mine is from either 1897 or 1907. I'm presuming it's of little value, so what is the best way of cleaning it up?

Would a toothbrush/toothpaste be the best method?
It's got a nice look to it as is?
If the high spots were a bit brighter maybe...
I've used flat tin foil and just run the coin face across it
It's just enough to shine up the prominent areas and leave the dark recesses untouched. ::g
Similarly I wrap the coin in tin foil and pour boiling water over it. Let it stew for about 30 seconds and then wipe it with a soft cloth. Repeat until you have exactly the finish that you want. ::g

detectorman5050
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: American Silver Coin Found on Scottish Beach?

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks for the tin foil cleaning methods - I wasn't aware of that. I was always inclined to use a toothbrush and toothpaste. I know it's frowned upon by 'coin purists' but has a nice effect!

Post Reply

Return to “Identification of Finds”