Henry II Penny? (Nope, John Halfpenny)

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
cookertron

Henry II Penny? (Nope, John Halfpenny)

Post by cookertron » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi All,

I had a bit of a waggle this afternoon after work and found this, a Henry II cut half penny. Well that's what I think it is anyway :)

I was on my least favourite field and one which I know has been done a bizzillion times but when it's less than a mile from work and a nice day, sod it worth a go. Today I decided to go along the hedgerow by the footpath, I've tried detecting on it before but because there's a school directly opposite it's totally full of crap, bottle caps, ring pulls and I once even dug up a DVD recorder so I knew it was gonna be tough going. Thing is, if it's tough for me then it'll have been tough for the last guy that had the permission so hopefully they'll have steered well clear. Anyway was just about to give up and out popped this hammered. It's funny, I say I was about to give up but we all know that the last dig is never the last dig until you've got your feet on concrete again lol.

The state of the field made it easy going, it had been ploughed and then erm, the other one, the one with the rollers on? The signal was sketchy with a grunt of iron in it but I think my detector (Garrett Ace 250, Nel Tornado coil) is playing up as a few finds that would normally be clear as a bell have been a bit like a tombac button with an iron shank.

Amazing to think it has just been there all that time, just waiting for me to find it :).

So basically I'm looking to verify my own ID, any takers?

Thank you for your time.

Ant

*** Click the thumbnail below to enlarge ***
Blue lines in images are 1cm²
Image Image
Last edited by cookertron on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today Red, Tomorrow Dead

Allectus

Re: Henry II Penny?

Post by Allectus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:59 pm

John class 5b halfpenny, moneyer Ricard B - London. ::g

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

cookertron

Re: Henry II Penny?

Post by cookertron » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I said "any takers" but it's a bit like a contestant on Dragon's Den looking for an investment, doesn't matter what the other dragons put on the table they always want Peter Jones. Allectus is to the coin world what Peter Jones is to investment :D

Thanks for that.

Ant
Today Red, Tomorrow Dead

Return to “Identification of Finds”