Todays bits

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
les-27

Todays bits

Post by les-27 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi folks got out today for a few hours on a new permission beside an early Christian Church. It was a lovely day apart from a few icy snow showers .I found quite a few bits including a manx james stanley coin. But would like more info on these few bits shown .the wee silver spoon has a lion holding a cross and the shaft shows either ih or th with a crown above. The buckle has an early feel . All found withe the racer on 2 tone gain 80 . Thanks in advance les
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweepstick47

Re: Todays bits

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Is it possibly 'IHS'? if so, it could have a religious connection - being the ancient abbreviation for Jesus? ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

les-27

Post by les-27 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

There is only 2 letters sweepstick

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Hiya
One of the Sleigh family crests is very similar to your spoon.
They were mainland based
But a family history website had on their free intro service that some SLeighs moved to Ireland.
However-given that the letters don’t have an s
It’s probably not
Not much help.
But it looks like a promising site ::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Saki

Post by Saki » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 am

Maybe a long shot Les-27.
Henry Anthony Littledale was deputy lieutenant of the West York Militia who sometime during the 1850's moved through Belfast ( I'm guessing to do with the crimean war). I did say a long shot....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

fred

Post by fred » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 am

I can't actually see it clearly in the photo but the mark on the shank sounds more like a makers mark. If so IH under a crown was the makers mark of John Hamilton who was active in the first half of the 18thC and had his stuff hallmarked in Dublin. There was another called Thomas Heming of London, one of whose marks was TH (in script letters I think) under a crown who was active in the second half of the 18thC. Given your location I would hope for the Dublin one although Irish silver is far more uncommon than English. ::g

PS That top item looks very early and the buckle looks late Stuart/early Georgian to me.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

les-27

Post by les-27 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 am
I can't actually see it clearly in the photo but the mark on the shank sounds more like a makers mark. If so IH under a crown was the makers mark of John Hamilton who was active in the first half of the 18thC and had his stuff hallmarked in Dublin. There was another called Thomas Heming of London, one of whose marks was TH (in script letters I think) under a crown who was active in the second half of the 18thC. Given your location I would hope for the Dublin one although Irish silver is far more uncommon than English. ::g

PS That top item looks very early and the buckle looks late Stuart/early Georgian to me.
Thanks fred I'd say you are right with John Hamilton, I'd love to know what the top item is ::g

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 am

Top item could well be one half of a book clasp. We don't have a scale to go by, but guessing at the size and where you found it, possibly from a bible.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Return to “Identification of Finds”