Silver earring from today

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Buriedbytime&dust

Silver earring from today

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Having spent most of the day re-ordering the shed, I grabbed the Deus and caught the last couple of hours of light today. Amidst a procession of buttons, this earring turned up :)

It's marked 925, but from what I gather, that doesn't tell you very much. Any thoughts appreciated.

Wessexlad

Re: Silver earring from today

Post by Wessexlad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 pm

It's a nice piece. Is it solid or hollow?
So what if I don't know what Armageddon means.
It's not the end of the world.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Wessexlad wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 pm
It's a nice piece. Is it solid or hollow?
I'm not sure, but it doesn't feel overly heavy.

I haven't attempted cleaning, and I'm not sure I want to start prodding at it until I know what it is. If it's modern I'll happily get a cocktail stick in there and pick out the muck ::g

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Modern I'm afraid but silver is always welcome. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm

It won't help you in an identity much but

Under a certain weight an item of jewellery historically has not required an assay mark by law. Earings often fall into this category for a couple of reasons.

1. To assay an item you are required to register as a maker so that your mark can be impressed on the item. Also any hallmarks that you have placed on the item require further expense. So to keep costs down you buy your own silver and gold stamps. Provided the item is under a certain weight assembled this is perfectly lawful. Also many smiths will assemble the item after completion which enables a grey area where the item is under weight even if assembled.

2. Often assaying an item causes significant bowing of delicate structures. Rings for instance will be sent complete minus the gems. Often when the rig is returned the shank. .. the ring round the finger can be badly bent. It has to then be restraightened and resized. All this requires heat which could damage the gems and loosen their claws/settings. Earings are often too delicate to take this punishment. Some have the hoop/post/earlug hallmarked in advance for this reason.

If your pair of earings here are solid I would be surprised .... you haven't shown the back but I'd imagine they are decorated with tiny dimples. But I believe they are hand made rather than cast for a technicality of something I can see on one of them.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Edit for further explanation ..... after seeing what you have said that you could pick the dirt out .... it looked like the black stuff was a solid part of the earing. In that case the swirls would be created by using a solid piece of plate silver and using a tiny this saw ... the scroll work would be pierced out from it. It would then be sanded and polished and soldered to the back plate. If you posses an ultrasonic this would clean them.out beautifully .... if not leave them to soak in warm.soapy water .... gradually .... very gently .... work at the dirt .... if possible from near the back plate as this is where it will.be soldered .

Good luck.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Rhumours wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm
If your pair of earings here are solid I would be surprised .... you haven't shown the back but I'd imagine they are decorated with tiny dimples. But I believe they are hand made rather than cast for a technicality of something I can see on one of them.
Thanks for your replies, some great info there :)

The two pics I've posted are of front and back of just one earring. If the other one was lost at the same time and in the same location, I might find it one day, but I suspect my odds of winning the lottery are greater (and I don't ever buy a ticket).

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Rhumours wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm
Thanks for your replies, some great info there :)

The two pics I've posted are of front and back of just one earring. If the other one was lost at the same time and in the same location, I might find it one day, but I suspect my odds of winning the lottery are greater (and I don't ever buy a ticket).

Hahaha. .. I did think how has he managed to find two .... look for a skull between them.scenario lol. If that's one structure then it is beautiful. Modern casting can achieve those results if it's full of dirt. But it would easy to tell once the dirt is removed. If it's smooth and polished it was probably assembled as two halves. Both pierced out after doming the sheet. And soldered together. If it's pock marked and rough inside .... it was cast.

Casting doesn't make it modern though ... as you can cast single items the old way. Casting just helps consistent mass production. It doesn't really speed up production that much. Be careful when poking and prodding.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Rhumours wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Be careful when poking and prodding.
Thanks, I'll avoid any poking and prodding for now. I'll be seeing the FLO next Thursday, so I'll leave it as it is until he's had a look at it ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 am

Thats very nice ... I always love stories like this. grabbing your machine for a quick last couple of hours, and Bingo. ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Identification of Finds Forum”