Weird object - help with ID

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
StaffordshireAlex

Weird object - help with ID

Post by StaffordshireAlex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

First time poster so apologies if I am not doing this exactly the right way :-)

I found this object quite deep, it looked originally Roman but not 100% sure, it is from a new field to me so who knows... has anyone seen one before?

Anyway looks made of bronze.

Thank you in advance :-)

Yours,
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spearhead

Re: Weird object - help with ID

Post by Spearhead » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Sadly I think this is a carpet stair rod holder. They get in the strangest places!

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Yep !!...100% stair rod holder...good hunting ::g

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:51 pm

The coin is an English 20p. 😁

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm

A very good question ... they appear all over the place ... and everyone says they are stair rod related... but keep going ... because you are on the stairs to detecting heaven.
Thanks for your post.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Actually I have always thought that most of these are far more likely to be general purpose twine or wire guides. ::g There are simply far too many spread over the countryside and anyway some of them are too small for stair rods. I have seen them used on servants bell systems in houses and the pulley systems on early farm machinery made extensive use of wires and twines too. :D

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm
Actually I have always thought that most of these are far more likely to be general purpose twine or wire guides. ::g There are simply far too many spread over the countryside and anyway some of them are too small for stair rods. I have seen them used on servants bell systems in houses and the pulley systems on early farm machinery made extensive use of wires and twines too. :D
Makes sense . ::g

StaffordshireAlex

Post by StaffordshireAlex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks everyone!!! Ah the indignity... hopefully they were historically important stairs ;-) I did also find this interesting little ring, but now doubting whether it’s that old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:51 pm

It is very difficult to see whether it is a jewellery ring or just a ring broken off of something else, I suspect the latter but I would be quite happy to be proven wrong. :D
Last edited by fred on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

fred wrote:

I've often wondered from previous posts how so many 'stair rod' thingies could possibly end up in agricultural fields....baling machine or similar does sound far more likely.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Makro multi Kruzer
Deus Lite v.3.2 + WS4
Garrett Pro Pointer

StaffordshireAlex

Post by StaffordshireAlex » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes I see... I tried to get a better angle (attached) but I am now leaning more towards a broken off bit of something...looks like today was an excercise I managing disappointment :-)

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

fred wrote:
My thoughts exactly ... I never saw them on the stairs when I was a nipper.

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm

^ kids these days :D

My gran's both used to have them, but as far as I recall the eyelets were screwed down to the step. And the above has no screw hole in the flat. The shape I recall was very much like a laid down letter d, or else a L with the hole in the corner ..either way without the pointy bit seen on this example. So in my uneducated opinion it's not a stair runner eyelet.
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

fred wrote:
Agree its what we always call a "stair rod fixer", but think that Fred is probably spot on the mark (yet again) when he suggest they were used for a much wider range of uses.

Whatever the exact use of this one was it was certaily not used by a Roman.

Evan

fred

Post by fred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 am

StaffordshireAlex wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm
Yes I see... I tried to get a better angle (attached) but I am now leaning more towards a broken off bit of something...looks like today was an excercise I managing disappointment :-)
I often feel a tad guilty when I point out that objects that are not quite what the owner hoped (or wanted) them to be. ;;z

My own attitude is that every object, however common or humble, tells us something about the history of our country and the people who lived and worked in it. Of course that doesn't stop me wishing that they had been a bit more inclined to scatter whatever wealth that they had over the fields. :D

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am

StaffordshireAlex wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm
Haha - This could sum up 90% of my metal detecting!! *(:)# Seriously though, it's all about learning and any time spent outdoors in the woods and fields is time well spent! Keep it up and enjoy every moment. ::g
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

StaffordshireAlex

Post by StaffordshireAlex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your insight, knowledge, friendliness and interest shown within your replies. Using this forum has turned out to be very useful and pleasant indeed. Although I was only partly joking with my assessment of the day, I am always grateful for learning something new for free - now back to telling myself stories of Roman adventures up and down carpeted stairs ;-)

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:05 am

Finally I remembered what this is. I've not remembered specifically what it's used on but enough that I can explain it. Last summer was helping my neighbour sort a few things on their farm loading something into something I slid it onto the flat surface and attempted to push it into the corner. There was dirt and debris etc in the corner and it wouldn't fully go in. So ... used brute force which seemed to make matters worse. Eventually slid the thing back out and grabbed some straw to sweep the dirt and debris away and something rattled in the corner. When I looked it was your thing was there. The ... in this case nail ... had worked itself free enough that the chisel bit was sticking out away from the side. I remember I had to work it free but got annoyed because I couldn't see what was actually holding it in still. It was the spike. So grabbed a screw driver prized the nail out fully. Hammered it back into the corner and hammered a bigger nail into the hole. Solid as a rock. The thing I was trying to load went in like a dream.

So it's a corner securing bracket. And it stabalises the corners of wooden boxes. Really worked ... just cannot specifically remember what it was on. Pretty sure it was the wooden sides on an old tractor link box. It had wire cage sides but was lined with thick ply wood. Whatever ... that's where I've seen it. Still not an amazing object but this link box is 70s ish. .. and was anyway I've drawn what and where it goes. Fred was right.

Ahhhh now I can forget about it it was driving me nuts. Except I know what that ring is and I've bloody snapped one off as well. The weld was naff. Can't remember for the life of me. B|
2018-02-24 07.00.14.jpg
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 am

Thinking out loud Rhumours looks like you have cracked the age old mystery regarding how the supposed stair grip things got into yje middle of fields.. your explanation is a very plausible contender for explaining what has been going on.
Lovely art work too.

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am

oldartefact wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:26 am
Thinking out loud Rhumours looks like you have cracked the age old mystery regarding how the supposed stair grip things got into yje middle of fields.. your explanation is a very plausible contender for explaining what has been going on.
Lovely art work too.
Lol cheers Oldartefact ... if I help out again this summer I'll find it .... what I do remember is there were two of them. Because one had worked free and hindered me I did wonder if there was another. Not sure if it was the other corner of the box thing or the other side of a separator board. But there was another and it was solidly in place ... I only remember it now because at the time I thought it was junk that had settled in the corner and now in my way. When it wouldn't release I had to work out why it needed to be there. Hence I put it back. I remember thinking what a clever design ... supports in several dimensions and only needs one nail to fit it. And the spike. Anyway cheers.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:27 am

It certainly make sense because it would stop a loose board being pushed too far as well as reinforcing corners. If they are as recent as the 70s I can't figure how it took so long for such a viable ID to come foreward. ::g

As I said I have also seen them used for other purposes but that doesn't mean much as we are reknowned for being a nation of bodgers - if it works then use it! :D

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Rhumours excellent sketch ::g stirred me ol' grey matter re. tool boxes and workshop furniture of my grandparents era, ie. George V & George VI. I think they might have been support brackets for a lift-out tray within a box, or drawer, &/or possibly the back corner supports for shelves within a wall cupboard. Both my grandads were engineers ..so I relate these to their tool-box or garage-workshop cupboards, so likely to have been equally commonplace to the agricultural engineer.

Looking again at the sketch, as if viewing from the screwdriver, and you'll see how it works with the flat piece supporting under the shelf or tray and the pin acting in cantilever.

Disclaimer : My mind tends to think quite laterally at times, and is not what it used to be.. so I might equally as well be associating one component part to something completely different.

Bfg x;
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:21 pm

It's still a contentious point seemingly (and I'm not going to contradict Allectus)! :-O
By the way, is that a rare screw I see, with a left hand thread?? Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Return to “Identification of Finds”