Possible Iron Age/Roman stud, pin or fastener ID'd

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
Steve_T

Possible Iron Age/Roman stud, pin or fastener ID'd

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm

A mystery item, not sure at all?? has some possible enamel or is it a colored paste?? it has some age to it

is it a pin head, stud, part of a decorative fastener?? to small for a ring or brooch part i think
lots of questions but has me baffled, i wonder if some person may be able to shed some light on it please

Deus Ultimate tweaked, mid 60's about 4 inches from rotted stubble

Regards Steve
Last edited by Steve_T on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

knotalot

Re: Mystery item for ID please

Post by knotalot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Looking very close, especially the similar objects with that example, thanks for that ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------

Albert Einstein

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm

A wonderful find Sir !
..and a great ID by Knotalot B-)

Aside from looking like the early Romans enjoyed a round of golf inbetween conquering the Britons ..a fanciful impression I had, which is perhaps supported by the report noting these to be from the Roman conquest period, found in a hill fort ..and also that just two colours of enamel ; red and blue have been found - was that they may have been Roman map pins. The Red representing the forces of the Roman army versus the Blue woad of the incumbent tribes.

Ok.. it was just a thought rl;
Last edited by Bfg on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Very nice indeed 'Steve_T' ::g Not a common find and one for the FLO methinks ::g
Nicely identified by 'knotalot' ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

fred

Post by fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Yeh! Good find and great ID. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Yes, thanks knotalot for a great ID it seems a very good comparison, at least it's something to attribute it to, I self record now so it gives me something to put in as a description for it

It all adds to the finds from the field it came from, age range so far is from a socketed Bronze Age axe fragment, Iron Age coins and over 100 Roman coins lots of Roman brooch fragments and a few almost complete, and several silver hammered, it's looking at constant use and occupation over a long period.

It's odd as I am working the lower slope of the field I keep getting drawn towards the hot spot of where there was a concentration of Roman coins and normally get a couple more without fail

The GPS tracks I have in red from when I started is almost a field completely red now, I am hoping to convince the manager to plough but goes against the farm policy of minimum cultivation.

He said last weekend after helping to worm dose some sheep that never say never about ploughing it
with a wink, due to be seeded soon so still have until it's to tall to detect

Regards Steve

Albert Einstein

Oxgirl36

Re: Possible Iron Age/Roman stud, pin or fastener ID'd

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

Great day out by the look of your finds posts today. Lovely item ::g
XP Deus
10 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 2 so far in 2018 :-L

Steve_T

Re: Possible Iron Age/Roman stud, pin or fastener ID'd

Post by Steve_T » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 am

Didn't seem much of a good day, it started a bit slow, helped to worm dose some sheep, spent time chatting to the farm manager, on the way to the field spoke to the wife of a field renter of a couple of fields on the farm while she was out on her horse for a good half hour.

Went across one field steady heading for my target field, nothing on the way there, target field was very quiet and only the possible Roman spoon and the Roman / Iron Age pin unknown what they were until after a clean at home

Thought I would spend time in another field and that was void but was accompanied by a Red Kite no more than 10 feet above me hovering and following me for a while, I often see it and I think it recognises me as it not the first time it's done that.

Went to the third field and went to a spot in the field that's quite trashy but have had a few hammered coins in the past, winkled out some buckle fragments, old buttons and a poor condition harness or belt mount amongst the iron, then the rain started so called it a day as it gets heavy going as the soil there sticks like the perverbial you know what to a blanket

Returned home unwound and relaxed so the day was a means to an end, and later found out what I had found was not a fruitless day after all.

Regards Steve

Albert Einstein

Return to “Identification of Finds”