ID of large brass/copper disc with mounts

Please post any finds here that you wish help with identification.
chrisbham

ID of large brass/copper disc with mounts

Post by chrisbham » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi all,

Any idea what this is? It's brass or copper, about 2mm thick and has clasps each side as if for a pin. It's quite large and flat.

It was found near the remains of buildings last standing about 1850, and have found a penny and a fathing of similar age.

Found with a garret euroace about 6" deep on pasture and shown up as a mid level notch.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twit

Re: ID of large brass/copper disc with mounts

Post by Twit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm

No idea what it is off, the centre photo looks to have a female portrait.... but you know what patina does.

For ID, photos could be a little clearer - square on, and near full frame.

::g

chrisbham

Post by chrisbham » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Twit wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm
No idea what it is off, the centre photo looks to have a female portrait.... but you know what patina does.

Youre right the photos are bad. The square on photos didnt show any detail and made it hard to show the thickness and the protruding bits.

Theres no detail or mouldings on them and they detail looking stuff is just crusty bits.

Twit

Post by Twit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:05 am

chrisbham wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Twit wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Youre right the photos are bad. The square on photos didnt show any detail and made it hard to show the thickness and the protruding bits.

Theres no detail or mouldings on them and they detail looking stuff is just crusty bits.
The photos aren't bad - they are crisp enough and have size reference, just could be presented a little better. It is always a funny conversation that goes on... the person with the item presents in a manner he considers best, but the people trying to figure the item would like different views, or a standard view, or a certain detail etc.... so usually best to offer the standard format and then add other shots as well... stops people complaining... or is taken as a measure of respect and so on :D .

I really don't know what the item is though , don't think it is ancient, seems copper based ( bronze or brass) , for whatever reason I like the meaning it carries. Hope someone else will recognise it ::g .

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am

Regarding the photos the TWO of the back are large and give a good view of the fitting, while the ONE of the front, which is much more likely to give an ID, is much smaller and not so clear.

I "think" I can see some numbers on the front and a pattern around the edge but photo is not good enough to confirm this.

So like the others I am unable to make an ID.

Evan

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 am

I knew I'd seen something like this before .... it's a weight .... for a clock. Grand father or grandmother .... a wire goes through the lugs. They are slightly off alignment. You can slide them up and down and they just hold the wire. Slide them down the clock runs slower slide them up .. faster. Im pretty sure that's what it is cause I remember playing with some as a kid. Getting told off in some posh persons house.

Edit: after further searching apparently they are called pendulum bobs. They can be fixed on a bar, adjustable or more basic ones hung on wire. Guess they weren't so posh after all lol.

Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am

Rhumours that is a belter.
Great ID.....well played old boy
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:56 am

Yes, top class ID there and excellent diagram, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:58 am

^ Interesting suggestion and well ID'd. ::g

I had never seen or heard of a pendulum bob on a wire before, only on a rod with a fine screw to adjust the bob's height, but I bow to your information and personal experience. ;)

I was thinking it might be an inspection cover, the type frequently seen on the sides of stoves, utilising springs or a sprung clip to hold it in place, but dismissed the idea because I couldn't think of an application where 2mm thick copper might have been used for this, and then such fine holes would be too small for locking pins. Whereas a wire going through those holes seems most reasonable. ;)
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Return to “Identification of Finds”